Pedal car/flintstone's car

  • Thread starter Thread starter Azuremen
  • 3 comments
  • 1,533 views

Azuremen

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Premium
Messages
17,871
United States
509


I find it funny and creative, though it would have worked a lot better if it was a lighter weight car, like a Tercel or something, I dunno.
 
I don't know if it's just a slight coincidence, but that was from last summer I think in Toronto, making it old news, but their court date was actually just last week and they were found not guilty. Here's the article.

National Post
UPDATE: A judge has just found Michel de Broin not guilty of operating an unsafe vehicle. Keep watching here for more.

By Jordana Huber, Canwest News Service

An artist whose pedal-powered Buick was pulled over by police on its maiden voyage through the streets of Toronto is taking his fight to court today in the hopes of beating a traffic ticket issued for operating an unsafe vehicle.

The car, a 1986 Buick Regal, stripped of its engine, suspension and transmission, with votive candles for headlights, was pulled over on Oct. 25, nine blocks from the Mercer Union art gallery, where it was installed as part of a solo exhibition.

Part sculpture, and part quadracycle, artist Michel de Broin said his Shared Propulsion Car is an expression of a paradox -- the big luxury American car, and pedal power, or the right to drive versus the right to pedal a car.

Despite an absence of floorboards, windows, a license plate or driving lights, Mr. De Broin said his car breaks no laws and is not dangerous.

"The car is not efficient as a transport vehicle, and it is too ambivalent to serve any cause except one: The right to go slow," said Mr. de Broin. "The problem for the court will be to argue that the Shared Propulsion Car can be dangerous while we all know the danger remains in the use of petrol cars."

Votive candles placed inside the headlights did stay lit on the car's brief trip said driver Dean Baldwin, an artist and friend of De Broin who is faces a fine of anywhere from $60 to 500 for operating an unsafe vehicle.

His lawyer, Terry L. Fox said he took the case pro-bono because he thinks police went "overboard" in laying the charge.

"Automobiles are inherently dangerous because of their big powerful motors," said Mr. Fox, manager of the legal advisory department in a branch of the Canadian Automobile Association. "This thing only went 15 km/h. I'd like to ask the officer how many people have been killed by a muscular powered vehicle."

Police didn't test the brakes or steering, which worked perfectly fine, said Mr. Fox.

The Shared Propulsion Car was pedaled in New York City without incident. In Montreal, it went two blocks before being pulled over by police.

No charges were laid.

Photo: The car, a 1986 Buick Regal, stripped of its engine, suspension and transmission, with votive candles for headlights, was pulled over Oct. 25, 2007 nine blocks from the Mercer Union art gallery, where it is installed as part of an art exhibition. (Mercer Union)

Also related to this thread because it involves a Bike Car, and also because these guys made their car in Portland and drove it around your neck of the woods. Here is their little promo without the snowboarding bits and only the bike car bits.



Pretty excellent stuff. They're a hilarious group of guys as well. Totally down to earth.
 
As I see it, it is no longer a car, but a human-powered vehicle. I feel, then, that it falls under the laws of bicycles, not cars.

However, I do think they should install an SMV (Slow Moving Vehicle) triangle on the back of the car, in order to avoid being rear-ended while operating it, as well as installing electric blinkers.
 
As I see it, it is no longer a car, but a human-powered vehicle. I feel, then, that it falls under the laws of bicycles, not cars.

However, I do think they should install an SMV (Slow Moving Vehicle) triangle on the back of the car, in order to avoid being rear-ended while operating it, as well as installing electric blinkers.

It was built with a VIN number so it will be a car no matter what is done to it.
 
Back