Pedals up Vs pedals down (GT Vs F1)

DaveTheStalker

Vinyl Addict
Premium
United States
Michigan
DaveTheStalker
Remember when inverting your pedals was all the rage a decade ago? Do you like your pedals inverted so they hang down, GT orientation on T500rs? Or do you like the F1 orientation, where the pedals a flat mounted? When I got my T500 early in it’s release, I can’t recall whether or not I preferred them inverted or down. I may have went with inverted simply because this was a big deal back then. I don’t think it’s as popular now ? Why not?

What do you or others you know dislike about inverted?

Normally, this is as easy as flipping the pedals around and pressing a couple of buttons. But, my pedals are oddly mounted to the Obutto pedal plate. I’m thinking about switching them to the F1 orientation. I don’t know how this will be an improvement or hindrance. I haven’t raced in my Ozone since GT5 & GT6. I used a controller for GTS. I was too lazy to take the 10-20 minutes to rearrange my Man Cave to race. So, I just grabbed the DS4 and used Motion Control for steering.

Fast forward to GT7 and now I’m 52 and WAY out of racing shape! I’d like to be able to just pivot my right foot for the accelerator and rest my left foot on the brake pedal, while maintaining heel contact with the plate. If I move the seat a click or two forward too far, the front of my right ankle will hurt. To keep my left foot comfortable, I Am comfortable using my toes to push the accelerator pedal, much like a real car. But, I have to “put some leg into it” to go full throttle. The way my pedals are set up right now, the “throw” for full brake is at its lowest setting. I am also no longer using the “Realistic brake mod”. I was getting a sore foot because I was braking with the left edge of my left foot. So, I decided to use my cheap driving shoes. With don’t fit my feet perfectly. I tried other shoes. When going full throttle, this causes my foot to slide forward in the shoe. I just can’t get comfortable and I’m hoping that flipping the pedal orientation will bring some comfort. I would love to race in just my socks. The diamond plate is not very friendly to a foot that is being slid across it.

I am also playing with the tilt of the pedal plate. If I put too much angle in it though, the front of my left ankle will surely get sore!

I have nightmares of when I had the PlaySeat. The pedal tray had no adjustment and left me in pain after long gaming sessions. It was hard to walk at times!

What do you think?

Attachments

• 05AB0519-F7DE-4EF9-82F9-A856957F995B.jpeg
    05AB0519-F7DE-4EF9-82F9-A856957F995B.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 50
  • E76F1C99-C01E-4220-921C-C1B71E9B1171.jpeg
    E76F1C99-C01E-4220-921C-C1B71E9B1171.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 6DAC4894-53C6-408D-9794-A830DF4B561D.jpeg
    6DAC4894-53C6-408D-9794-A830DF4B561D.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 50
Just wait till you have to raise your rig up (seat) so you can get out of it. I think the reason most don't invert the pedals is the fact that most rigs are not built to be able to invert most pedals. I did have a set of pedals for the G29 inverted on a homemade rig, but it got too hard to get out of for a teenager at 66 years young. I have a Next Level Racing stand and X-Rocker seat. Made a small strap to keep the seat and pedals from moving around. Takes about 5 mins to set up or take down.

If inverting is more comfortable, go for it. I had some ankle and leg issues with my original wheel stand and its plate angle and the Logitech pedals. I bought the inverter conversion kit from a 3rd party and it worked great for me - less leg/ankle soreness and more accurate braking and acceleration as a side benefit.

I've since moved up to a modest full rig with the ability to have a flatter pedal plate angle, and upgraded to Fanatec gear. With the Fanatec pedals and the flat pedal plate, I found that I haven't needed to invert them. It was a nice surprise because I had thought I might need to sell the bundled CSL and load cell pedals and buy the v3 inverted, but now appears I don't need to with my current setup.

So I guess my point is, depending on your setup and equipment and how the angles work out between them, inverting can be much more comfortable, or can be completely unnecessary, and so do what works for you.

If you want it to feel more like a daily driver, inverting can sometimes offer more of that feel, too. But again, that depends on your setup.

One other thought - if you go F1 style, you may want to experiment with raising the entire pedal assembly up either with some kind of blocking under the pedal tray, or even instead raising the entire front half of your setup so it is not as low compared to your seat height. It may just be the angle of the pictures, but it looks a little low to me.

One other thought - if you go F1 style, you may want to experiment with raising the entire pedal assembly up either with some kind of blocking under the pedal tray, or even instead raising the entire front half of your setup so it is not as low compared to your seat height. It may just be the angle of the pictures, but it looks a little low to me.
Thanks for the tip! The bar that is typically used to mount the front of the pedal tray is useful at bringing up the aaa end. Unfortunately, mounting the pedals to the tray with a few front to back adjustment holes would be a serious pain in the ass with cheap power tools and no reusable template. I don’t have a reliable printer either, unfortunately.

Attachments

• 210297D0-BF5E-4C64-BCDC-19D764F9578F.jpeg
    210297D0-BF5E-4C64-BCDC-19D764F9578F.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 31
Back