Penalties in online races

  • Thread starter Thread starter SlyckTires
  • 8 comments
  • 790 views
Messages
1,554
Messages
SlyckTires
Anyone else get this?

Driving hard to catch up after a first corner snafu, I'm heading down a short straight and the guy in front has spun off. He's all transparent, and I don't have the time to avoid him anyway, so I press on.

Unfortunately, he goes solid just as i get there and I get a collision penalty, even though he's obviously all sidewise across the track. Totally unfair in my view.

Mind you, I often seem to come off worse in collisions, especially when the other car is 'flickering'
 
Yea I used to get that alot too but the room I race in now, the penalties are almost always off. If somebody drives dirty, they get kicked.
 
I don't understand the penalties sometimes. In one race in the first corner i grazed the side of a car and get a 5 sec penalty. During that same race, the host shoved me in the rear (not really hard but hard enough) 3 times and he didn't slow down once, i lost him when he cut a chicane and finally got a penalty
 
Mechanical damage is the one that does my head in. I'm perfectly capable of keeping my own car on the track and then some moron wipes me out and i get punished for it with damaged wheels, a car that pulls to one side and a damaged engine. Hows that fair? When i host a room i set penalties to weak purely to punish the cheating corner cutters. Minor collisions often cannot be avoided so the strong penalty option seems too harsh. Whoever came up with the mechanical damage was 1 brain cell behind a tin of cat food because when my real car recieves mechanical damage it certainly doesn't repair itself after 10 seconds!
 
Mechanical damage is the one that does my head in. I'm perfectly capable of keeping my own car on the track and then some moron wipes me out and i get punished for it with damaged wheels, a car that pulls to one side and a damaged engine. Hows that fair? When i host a room i set penalties to weak purely to punish the cheating corner cutters. Minor collisions often cannot be avoided so the strong penalty option seems too harsh. Whoever came up with the mechanical damage was 1 brain cell behind a tin of cat food because when my real car recieves mechanical damage it certainly doesn't repair itself after 10 seconds!

Mechanical damage isn't a penalty system so there's no need for it to be "fair." IRL if you get hit by another car your car doesn't go unscathed just because "it wouldn't be fair because it wasn't your fault." Also, if you run heavy damage you'll find that it doesn't every repair itself :dopey: Problem solved. "Realism" attained.
 
I get your point but i don't see the point of mechanical damage when all it does is punish the innocent because of some idiots lack of talent. I went in 3 online rooms tonight and it happened several times. I was doing great until some gung-ho wannabes realised they can't drive fast cars.
 
Yes the online penalty system is very restricted and messed up.
They could salvage part of it if they separated the off-track and hitting other car penalties. That way we could turn on the cutting corners penalties to maximum and not have to deal with collision penalties which is the broken part. The higher the penalties the more often people go transparent which is annoying.
You go transparent when they think you are going too fast for a corner or facing the wrong direction. If you get into a spin there is often a point when you will temporarily become solid because you end up on the track moving in the right direction, which is when someone who thought they could drive through you hits you. The simplest solution is to treat transparent guys like you would solid ones.
 
I get your point but i don't see the point of mechanical damage when all it does is punish the innocent because of some idiots lack of talent. I went in 3 online rooms tonight and it happened several times. I was doing great until some gung-ho wannabes realised they can't drive fast cars.

Mechanical damage works great in an organized racing series or even a group of serious racers getting together who are friends on psn. Unfortunately, doing heavy damage in an open lobby is just asking for someone to go backwards and smash into people or just pit maneuver everyone in turn 1 :/
 
Even the corner cutting is pretty whacked. There's some corners that you can cut anyway, and some corners that if you put half of one wheel over the curb you're nailed with a penalty. I suppose once you learn them, the boundaries are the same for everyone, but some of them don't make much sense and you won't figure it out until you get penalized a few times or see people cutting and getting away with it with penalties on.

And then of course there's the penalty for driving 75 mph sideways on a 130 mph straight, slowly sliding to an almost halt inside of a corner, then slowly returning to the track past the cut-off point after already losing 10 seconds with another 2 seconds coming on the next straight which you're way too slow starting. Or the umpteen times I've been nailed for going too wide at the fast corner going into Höhe Acht at the ring and corrected, lost tons of speed, but just barely clipping a tiny piece of the grass on the inside of the next 'corner'.
 
Back