Penalty system improvement suggestions

• Thread starter CnPx
  • 7 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

This just isn't acceptable.

My 1st suggestion would be that all cars should be ghosted during the slow down.

My other suggestion would be that all the negative time gets added at the end the race then who ever has the lowest time comes 1st. So if the car in second has 1.10 and I have 1.05 but 10 seconds in penalty I then have 1.15 and do not win the race.

My 3rd suggestion and my personal pick of the bunch is just to remove the crap. Its never gonna be perfect. I would argue that over 50% of penalties are dealt unfairly. The one I got in that video was because an AI car slammed on way to early and I wanted to avoid hitting it and spinning out so I steered towards a wall.
I can guess that most people would agree that if the system can't be made to a point where it works efficiently and penalties are handed out fairly that they would rather not have it in the game. I don't play online because everyone just abuses it.

Plus in the video look how ridiculous that is. A 5 second penalty left me facing the wrong way still in the middle of the road? Did they seriously not think about that? Surely the 1st thing anyone would think of is that are the AI gonna prepare for a car to slow down in the middle of the road? They wonder why this game is rated lower then CyberPunk on Meta critic. If I had to guess its probably the lowest ever user rated AAA game in the world.

There is a major issue with the AI and its lack of evasive maneuvering, but to a certain degree the person serving the penalty should leave the racing line. Sportsmanship would dictate that when serving a penalty or rejoining a track after going off, you avoid the racing line until you're upto speed, so as to not hamper other racers. While the racing line isn't very clear in a 4-lane underpass, I'd suggest pulling over to the far right lane next time.

There is a major issue with the AI and its lack of evasive maneuvering, but to a certain degree the person serving the penalty should leave the racing line. Sportsmanship would dictate that when serving a penalty or rejoining a track after going off, you avoid the racing line until you're upto speed, so as to not hamper other racers. While the racing line isn't very clear in a 4-lane underpass, I'd suggest pulling over to the far right lane next time.
Yh that's true but on the other hand the game should just ghost you whilst serving the penalty. You haven't always got the opportunity to drive over to the side if there is a pack of you together. Also in the video the AI had plenty of time to react to me being slowed down. If PD actually made them somewhat competent then they would have drove around me.
It's a really flawed system and it shouldn't be in the game with its current state. It gets abused like hell online and penalties are constantly dished out incorrectly. There has only been a handful of times where I actually felt like I deserved the penalty but countless times because another car had messed up. Its like a car slams on the breaks in front of you so you drive to the side to avoid smashing them off the road. So you have been punished for coming off the road, then punished again from the penalty. 2 punishments because someone else slammed on the breaks in front of you? It's like someone slapping you in the face and then you getting into trouble for it.

Last edited:
Removing the penalty system outright is a horrible idea, I stopped playing Sport's Sport Races almost completely after seeing they removed the contact penalties and every race becoming bumper cars. 7's is far from perfect but it's so much cleaner than these last few months in Sport.

For actual improvements, I'd say a possible solution would be to just outright make away with the concept of blame. If there's contact, penalize both drivers the same and over time the rammers will find themselves in their own lobbies. Also the safety rating should work like in ACC and not increase at all if you're not driving close to other cars or dead last on the grid, that always made grinding for sportmanship S rank too easy and defeats the point of the ranking at all. Track limits need to be improved too, it's ridiculous that the game can't differentiate hitting a wall or going off track which already costs you time from actually cutting a corner or wallriding, lots of other games do this so I don't get why GT still doesn't.

This just isn't acceptable.

My 1st suggestion would be that all cars should be ghosted during the slow down.

My other suggestion would be that all the negative time gets added at the end the race then who ever has the lowest time comes 1st. So if the car in second has 1.10 and I have 1.05 but 10 seconds in penalty I then have 1.15 and do not win the race.

My 3rd suggestion and my personal pick of the bunch is just to remove the crap. Its never gonna be perfect. I would argue that over 50% of penalties are dealt unfairly. The one I got in that video was because an AI car slammed on way to early and I wanted to avoid hitting it and spinning out so I steered towards a wall.
I can guess that most people would agree that if the system can't be made to a point where it works efficiently and penalties are handed out fairly that they would rather not have it in the game. I don't play online because everyone just abuses it.

Plus in the video look how ridiculous that is. A 5 second penalty left me facing the wrong way still in the middle of the road? Did they seriously not think about that? Surely the 1st thing anyone would think of is that are the AI gonna prepare for a car to slow down in the middle of the road? They wonder why this game is rated lower then CyberPunk on Meta critic. If I had to guess its probably the lowest ever user rated AAA game in the world.

I agree with the comments above. Not only that, I also condemned the penalty system in GT7. There must be sweeping changes regarding this.

Removing the penalty system outright is a horrible idea, I stopped playing Sport's Sport Races almost completely after seeing they removed the contact penalties and every race becoming bumper cars. 7's is far from perfect but it's so much cleaner than these last few months in Sport.

For actual improvements, I'd say a possible solution would be to just outright make away with the concept of blame. If there's contact, penalize both drivers the same and over time the rammers will find themselves in their own lobbies. Also the safety rating should work like in ACC and not increase at all if you're not driving close to other cars or dead last on the grid, that always made grinding for sportmanship S rank too easy and defeats the point of the ranking at all. Track limits need to be improved too, it's ridiculous that the game can't differentiate hitting a wall or going off track which already costs you time from actually cutting a corner or wallriding, lots of other games do this so I don't get why GT still doesn't.
I want a good penalty system but lets be honest it most likely isnt the devs priority with the current state the game is in and the backlash they have gotten. A working penalty system isn't keep the lights on so to speak. The devs are likely working on new content in order to keep players interested.
At the moment people can just slam on the breaks in front of you and get away with it while the car behind is punished twice for something that out right wasn't their fault. The system should be programmed to detect people abusing it.
Sometimes you get a penalty because another car has spun out and it glitches and thinks you have overtaken another racer.
The AI should also know that you are about to slow down and avoid ramming into you. They are all running off the same computer so why the hell are they not able to tell the you are about to slow down? It's bad programming.

If the system isnt gonna work properly then it should either be fixed or removed until its fixed as its frustrating when you constantly get unfair penalties. Imaging being in a boxing match and the ref kept deducting points off you for no reason or because your opponent was doing something wrong then you were the one loosing points for it. Thats basically the penalty system in this game.
Overall there is no doubt about it that I have had more bs penalties then ones where I had actually messed up.

Yh that's true but on the other hand the game should just ghost you whilst serving the penalty. You haven't always got the opportunity to drive over to the side if there is a pack of you together. Also in the video the AI had plenty of time to react to me being slowed down. If PD actually made them somewhat competent then they would have drove around me.
It's a really flawed system and it shouldn't be in the game with its current state. It gets abused like hell online and penalties are constantly dished out incorrectly. There has only been a handful of times where I actually felt like I deserved the penalty but countless times because another car had messed up. Its like a car slams on the breaks in front of you so you drive to the side to avoid smashing them off the road. So you have been punished for coming off the road, then punished again from the penalty. 2 punishments because someone else slammed on the breaks in front of you? It's like someone slapping you in the face and then you getting into trouble for it.
Yeah, the clip is quite brutal and also highlights something I've raised issue with before - the AI cars are "on rails" a lot of the time. They're immovable. With the speed the AI car hit you, it should have gone flying, but instead it lightly bounces to the side while you go flying, and carries on with barely any loss of speed.

The penalty system isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than GT Sports was at its best, and a lot better than having no penalty system at all.

I really hate this type of penalty.
Just SLAM the brakes.
The slow down one is better.
Or PD should do what the FIA does in F1 and give penalties in the pit.
But Pitstops in GT7 are bugged

Last edited:
Back