Penalty System in Project Cars

• Thread starter LPlates
  • 23 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I've looked around and can't find much on the penalty system in project cars.
Is there any info that can be linked to please?

In other games, such as GT6/iRacing there are various degrees of penalty for ramming, corner cutting etc. Is there any similar system in PCars?

I hope we get realistic penalties (like drive throughs & stop & go's etc), to go with the realistic motor racing & physics. One thing I loathe in games are those stupid fantasy 'slow down for 5 seconds' type penalties, as they have absolutely no place whatsoever in a sim imo.

Last edited:
First usually I try to drive clean, so haven't experienced a lot of penalty's, but did some quick testing, seems about three off tracks disqualify you and your race ends, failing to mandatory pit, will end your race, there's no slow down if you go off track or invisible barriers. But there is a penalty system and mechanical failures.

Contact with other cars usually doesn't benefit you, the damage is a penalty in it's self so it's best to avoid.

Can we enable collision & corner cutting penalties separately?
I hope SMS will do a good job with flags/penalties but it's nice to have the option to enable corner cutting penalties only + heavy damage just in case collision penalties aren't very consistent.

VBR
I hope we get realistic penalties (like drive throughs & stop & go's etc), to go with the realistic motor racing & physics. One thing I loathe in games are those stupid fantasy 'slow down for 5 seconds' type penalties, as they have absolutely no place whatsoever in a sim imo.
Realistic motor racing have slow down penalties, if you cut a chicane or corner and gain position, you have to slow down, to give position again. Even a lot of times you don't get immediately drive troughs or stop and go, firts you have warnings, even iRacing have slow down.

Realistic motor racing have slow down penalties, if you cut a chicane or corner and gain position, you have to slow down, to give position again. Even a lot of times you don't get immediately drive troughs or stop and go, firts you have warnings, even iRacing have slow down.

Yes, it should tell you to slow down and let the guy you overtook repass.

It shouldn't immediately cut your engine for 5 seconds...

I found time pens in Grid Autosport very good, i hope its a similar system for track cutting, as we need true leaderboards.

Last edited:

Yes, but that's something the drivers chooses to do himself or that the team orders him to do. It's not enforced by some gadget programmed into his car.

I hope we can choose what type of penalties we want, because being forced into having automatic slow down penalties on will be a game breaker for me.

VBR
Yes, but that's something the drivers chooses to do himself or that the team orders him to do. It's not enforced by some gadget programmed into his car.

I hope we can choose what type of penalties we want, because being forced into having automatic slow down penalties on will be a game breaker for me.

It wouldn't be a breaker for me, because I'm used to it after 15+ years of console racing. However, it would be highly disappointing considering how much SMS have been pushing the 'realism'.

Im all for 'realism' but how would it work for hot lapping and the leaderboards? surly time pens are needed for track cutting!

Im all for 'realism' but how would it work for hot lapping and the leaderboards? surly time pens are needed for track cutting!

That's a different matter entirely. I was referring to having them forced on for offline race events in Carreer Mode. For Time Trials, having your current lap DSQ'd would be sufficent.

You have a leaderboard for your offline career of course, to see your standings and so on. This has nothing to do with the online leaderboards, which records the fastest, clean lap times real players have achieved. It doesn't matter if you ran a new fastest lap in a offline race, in time trial or in quick race/free practice. Your time will end up on the leaderboards if you are connected to the internet.

I found time pens in Grid Autosport very good, i hope its a similar system for track cutting, as we need true leaderboards.
2 :cheers: They are very good although they are slowdowns, but scaled for the type of off track excursion you made and always bang on the money. If you lost time you didn't get it, you gained 1 second, the penalty was one second and so on. Best i've experienced so far.

VBR
I agree, it is used in A.C. and it destroys races quicker than a flat tyre. :( :grumpy:

💡 What's wrong with applying a bit of time penalty after the race has finished?

2 :cheers: They are very good although they are slowdowns, but scaled for the type of off track excursion you made and always bang on the money. If you lost time you didn't get it, you gained 1 second, the penalty was one second and so on. Best i've experienced so far.

Same mate:tup:

You have a leaderboard for your offline career of course, to see your standings and so on. This has nothing to do with the online leaderboards, which records the fastest, clean lap times real players have achieved. It doesn't matter if you ran a new fastest lap in a offline race, in time trial or in quick race/free practice. Your time will end up on the leaderboards if you are connected to the internet.
I think this is slightly incorrect. The laps have to be clean, that's true. However, they also have to be set in the time trial mode only. You career, quick race weekend laps won't count. The reason is that in TT you have no AI to gain an unfair advantage by using their slipstream, so everyone is more or less on the same footing.

Yes, it should tell you to slow down and let the guy you overtook repass.

It shouldn't immediately cut your engine for 5 seconds...

I didn't said anything about cutting the engine...

And you know how some people behave in video games..., but that should be configs choice.
In AC you have that 5s or you need to slow down to 50kmh, but you can enable or disable penalty's.
I also don't like the engine cut, i understand the slowdown.

Back