Penalty System

• Thread starter SgtWhitten
  • 14 comments
SgtWhitten
What do you guys make of the penalty system?

I have frequently been in situations where someone slams into my rear and I get a penalty. Any slight touches or rubs and you get a drive through. When watching sundays GP and Webber hit Hamilton did he get a drive through? It was close but he didn't get one. (I would have given him one)

Also cutting corners gives you a drive through so if you lock up under braking and run off over a chicane you get a drive through. I understand if you gain a place from it but otherwise you should just get a warning for it. Maybe get 2 chances or if you cut a corner at full throttle get a penalty.

CM seem to think that if anyone does anything wrong its always a drive through, have they seen an F1 race?. They should bring in after race penalties and fines which cause friction with team members maybe or mean your team can't afford upgrades.

I find the penalty system in general kinda meh. Got a 10 second penalty for Kubica breaking his wing off on the side of my car. Kinda irritating to fight to 6th place in a Lotus beating out Ferrari's and such then dropping down 10 seconds when the race is that close.

From my experience with the game, in all fairness, I don't get those penalties as harsh as you guys express them here.

I had 2 situations when, after passing a car, I was hit in the behind by them. To be fair, I accept that my move might have been a little too aggressive, since in both I pass them in the braking to a hairpin from the outside and my turning inside might not give the enough space.

As for chicane(corner) cutting, I had a few of those but I also have some warning (without the drive through penalty - also the same in some minor touches).

The majority of my penalties are form blue flag situations - where sometimes the game seems to want you to let them pass immediately, independently of the location on the track. Altough it's worth noting that in blue flag situations the penalty is only given if you ignore 3 blue flag waves (the icon flashes)

I do also find it hilarious that the Lotus can beat teams other than just Hispania and Virgin. The only place realistically achievable for Lotus is 18th so it's funny having battles with Button etc.

Another penalty that I just remembered is speeding in the pit lane. I received a drive through for it and you only really hear of fines for drivers that speed in the pit lane.

I do also find it hilarious that the Lotus can beat teams other than just Hispania and Virgin. The only place realistically achievable for Lotus is 18th so it's funny having battles with Button etc.

Without a doubt. Gave me a good giggle to be battling Alonso having passed Massa already with Kubica just ahead of me until the whole penalty deal happened. Needing to qualify in 20th or higher and qualifying in 8th is amusing. XD

EDIT: Just for reference, I'm playing on medium difficulty customized a bit for semi-auto box and driving line.

Just posted #1 time in practice in a rainy Australian GP in my lotus. Loving this car atm XD

Last edited:
The penalties are a little too much for me like if I dont have quite enough downforce and slide a bit onto the grass or even curb sometimes, I get anything from a waynong to a drivethrough. Also the blue flags (when I just started on Legend in a Lotus) hurt you so much. I got one just coming down the main straight at Bahrain (has two long connected straights) and moved to the pit wall and the AI followed me in my slipstream. Instead of passing me he slowed to follow me and because I didnt brake I got another drivethrough because I didnt give him enough time to get by. If he can catch up and almost lap me, I think he has enough speed to pass me on a straight flat out or not. The worst is when they are like 3 or 4 seconds back and the game expects you to pull over and stop for faster cars...sorry for the long post but I had a bad experience with these stupid blue flags haha

Without a doubt. Gave me a good giggle to be battling Alonso having passed Massa already with Kubica just ahead of me until the whole penalty deal happened. Needing to qualify in 20th or higher and qualifying in 8th is amusing. XD

EDIT: Just for reference, I'm playing on medium difficulty customized a bit for semi-auto box and driving line.

Just posted #1 time in practice in a rainy Australian GP in my lotus. Loving this car atm XD

Just wandering, besides the medium difficulty, what AI level you have selected...

Just wandering, besides the medium difficulty, what AI level you have selected...

No idea. Where would I look to find that out? >< I honestly don't know. :x

I'd guess medium. Just finished the Australian GP as a 17 lap race, led from start->finish, ended up 30+ seconds ahead of vettel having lapped the car in 18th.

Last edited:
It annoyed me because someone hit me from behind and gave me a puncture, and they gave me a warning. The resulting crash then made me slide across a corner, and I got penalised for corner cutting? Excuse me, I've just been bashed there.

i hate the blue flag issue, you can't unlap yourself or you have to be insane fast. even if you don't hold up a car you can get a penalty.

also when you spin in practice or Qualify and you can't drive immediately away you get a penalty for blocking and a 5-place grid pinalty. or when you want to drive back to the track, you have to drive in some cases a little in the wrong way, or you just turn your car back around, you get again a penalty.

i hate the blue flag issue, you can't unlap yourself or you have to be insane fast. even if you don't hold up a car you can get a penalty.

also when you spin in practice or Qualify and you can't drive immediately away you get a penalty for blocking and a 5-place grid pinalty. or when you want to drive back to the track, you have to drive in some cases a little in the wrong way, or you just turn your car back around, you get again a penalty.

Exactly!I really hope this is somehow improved in the future because it kills so much of the racing environmentt.

It annoyed me because someone hit me from behind and gave me a puncture, and they gave me a warning. The resulting crash then made me slide across a corner, and I got penalised for corner cutting? Excuse me, I've just been bashed there.

apparently the punctures are happening a little to often, and from what i hear will be addressed in a patch.

FYI: This season's penalties, in reality:
Bahrain Grand Prix
- Pedro de la Rosa, (Sauber) Speeding in the pitlane during FP3, 69.2 km/h fined € 2000 (More...)
- Jaime Alguersuari, (Toro Rosso) Speeding in the pitlane during FP3, 61.2 km/h fined € 400 (More...)

Australian Grand Prix
- Vitaly Petrov (Renault) Speeding in the pitlane during FP1, 94.6 km/h fined € 7000 (More...)
- Bruno Senna (Hispania) Speeding in the pitlane during FP1, 67.7 km/h fined € 1600 (More...)
- Adrian Sutil (Force India) Speeding in the pitlane during FP2, 67.8 km/h fined € 1600 (More...)
- Nico Hulkenberg (Williams) Speeding in the pitlane during FP3, 68.6 km/h fined € 1800 (More...)
- Pedro de la Rosa (Sauber) Impeding another driver during FP3, reprimand (More...)
- Mark Webber (Red Bull) Caused a collision during the Australian GP, reprimand (More...)

Malaysian Grand Prix
- Jenson Button (McLaren) Speeding in the pitlane during FP2, 62.3 km/h fined € 600 (More...)
- Nico Hulkenberg (Williams) Speeding in the pitlane during FP2, 61.0 km/h fined € 200 (More...)
- Timo Glock (Virgin) Speeding in the pitlane during FP3, 70.2 km/h fined € 2200 (More ...)
- Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) Overtook Jarno Trulli under waved yellows, no penalty applied (More...)

Chinese Grand Prix
- Michael Scumacher (Mercedes) Set fastest sector time in FP1 under yellow flag. No action, no breach occurred. (More...)
- Adrian Sutil (Force India) Set fastest sector time in FP1 under yellow flag. Reprimand (More...)
- Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) Moved off start line before lights went out. Drive through penalty
- Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) Dangerous driving in the pitlane. Reprimand (More...)
- Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) Dangerous driving in the pitlane. Reprimand (More...)

Spanish Grand Prix
- Bruno Senna (Hispania) Speeding in the pitlane during FP1, 66.1 km/h fined € 1400. (More...)
- Virgin Failed to inform the FIA Technical Delegate which gear ratios they intended to fit within the two hours after the end of
P2. Five place grid drop for Glock and di Grassi (More...)
- Ferrari Unsafe release from pitlane during qualification fined $20,000 (More...)
- Sebastian Buemi (Toro Rosso) Rejoining the track in an unsafe manner, drive through penalty. (More...)
- Jaime Alguersuari (Toro Rosso) Caused a collision, drive through penalty. (More...)

Monaco Grand Prix
- Jenson Button (McLaren) Speeding in the pitlane during FP1, 63.7 km/h fined € 800. (More...)
- Rubens Barrichello (Williams) Speeding in the pitlane during qualification, 65.0 km/h fined € 1000. (More...)
- Mark Webber (Red Bull) Speeding in the pitlane during the race (en route to start), 70.9 km/h fined € 2200. (More...)
- Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) Overtook Fernando Alonso when the safety car entered the pit lane, drive through penalty but
since incident occured in last 5 laps it becomes 20 second time penalty. (More...)

Turkish Grand Prix
- Adrian Sutil (Force India) and Lucas di Grassis (Virgin) incident during race, no action (More...)

Canadian Grand Prix
- Timo Glock (Virgin) Speeding in the pitlane during FP2, 65.0 km/h, fined €1000 (More...)
- Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber) Missed the apex at turn 14. Removal of lap time from timesheets. (More...)
- Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) The team instructed the driver to stop on the circuit causing him to exceed the maximum time as
defined in Document 15 - Race Directors' Note to Teams of 11 June 2010. Reprimand and fine of €10,000 (More...)
- Vitaly Petrov (Renault) Jumped the start, drive through penalty (More...)
- Vitaly Petrov (Renault) Caused a collision, drive through penalty (More...)
- Nico Hulkenberg (Williams) Speeding in the pitlane during the race, drive through penalty (More...)
- Felipe Massa (Ferrari) Speeding in the pitlane during the race 105.4 km/h, 20 seconds added to race time (More...)
- Robert Kubica (Renault) Dangerous entry to pitlane. Reprimand (More...)
- Jaime Alguersuari (Toro Rosso) Incident with Rubens Barrichello. Reprimand (More...)
- Incident involving Felipe Massa (Ferrari) and Michael Schumacher (Mercedes). No further action (More...)

European Grand Prix
- Mark Webber (Red Bull) Unsafe release during qualifying, fined €10,000 (More...)
- Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber) Speeding in pitlane during the race reconnaissance lap, 71.9 km/h fined €2,400 (More...)
- Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) Overtook safety car, drive through penalty (More...)
- Nico Hulkenberg (Williams) and Sebastien Buemi (Toro Rosso) Incident in pitlane, no action (More...)
- Vitaly Petrov (Renault) and Vitantonio Luizzi Incident in pitlane, no action (More...)
- Timo Glock (Virgin) Repeatedly ignored blue flags, drive through but became a 20 second time penalty post race (More...)
- Robert Kubica (Renault) Driving too slowly behing the safety car, 5 second penalty (More...)
- Jenson Button (McLaren) Driving too slowly behing the safety car, 5 second penalty (More...)
- Rubens Barrichello (Williams) Driving too slowly behing the safety car, 5 second penalty (More...)
- Nico Hulkenberg (Williams) Driving too slowly behing the safety car, 5 second penalty (More...)
- Sebastien Buemi (Toro Rosso) Driving too slowly behing the safety car, 5 second penalty (More...)
- Adrian Sutil (Force India) Driving too slowly behing the safety car, 5 second penalty (More...)
- Vitantonio Luizzi (Force India) Driving too slowly behing the safety car, 5 second penalty (More...)
- Vitaly Petrov (Renault) Driving too slowly behing the safety car, 5 second penalty (More...)
- Pedro de la Rosa (Sauber) Driving too slowly behing the safety car, 5 second penalty (More...)

British Grand Prix
- Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber) Speeding in the pitlane during FP1 61.3 km/h fined €400 (More...)
- Fairuz Fauzy (Lotus) Speeding in the pitlane during FP1 61.6 km/h fined €400 (More...)
- Vitaly Petrov (Renault) Speeding in the pitlane during FP3 62.2 km/h fined €600 (More...)
- Vitaly Petrov (Renault) Speeding in the pitlane during FP3 61.2 km/h fined €800 (More...)
- Vitantonio Luizzi (Force India) Speeding in the pitlane during FP3 64.5 km/h fined €1,000 (More...)
- Vitantonio Luizzi (Force India) Impeeding Nico Hulkenberg during qualification Q2, five place grid drop (More...)
- Sakon Yamamoto (Hispania) Impeding another driver during qualification, reprimand (More...)
- Jaime Alguersuari (Toro Rosso) Unsafe release, fined $5,000 (More...)
- Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) Cutting a corner and gaining an advantage, drive through penalty (More...)
- Pedro de la Rosa (Sauber) Speeding in the pitlane during the race 120.3 km/h fined €4,200 (More...)

German Grand Prix
- Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) Speeding in the pitlane during FP2, 64.1 km/h fined € 1,000 (More...)
- Mark Webber (Red Bull) Exceeded the maximum permitted time between the two Safety Car Lines (FP3) Reprimand (More...)
- Timo Glock (Virgin) Change gearbox and changed seventh gear ratio from one previously declared, 5 place grid drop for each offence (More...)
- Adrian Sutil (Force India) New gearbox, 5 place grid drop (More...)
- Lucas di Grassi (Virgin) New gearbox, 5 place grid drop (More...)
- Heikki Kovalainen (Lotus) Caused a collision, reprimand (More...)
- Ferrari, Breach of article 39.1 and article 151c $100,000 fine and reported to WMSC for further action (More...)
- Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Luizzi (Force India)Fitting tyres not allocated to the relevant car number. Reprimand (More...)

Hungarian Grand Prix
- Force India, used one set of prime tyres allocated for use during P3, Qualifying and the race. Fined € 5,000 (More...)
- Heikki Kovalainen (Lotus) Speeding in the pitlane during FP2 62.5 km/h. Fined € 600 (More...)
- Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) Speeding in the pitlane during FP2 65.2 km/h. Fined € 1,200 (More...)
- Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber) Not stopping for weighing at the end of Q1. Five place grid drop (More...)
- Sakon Yamamoto (Hispania) Failing to stay above the minimum time set by the FIA ECU, Reprimand (More...)
- Vitaly Petrov (Renault) Failing to stay above the minimum time set by the FIA ECU, Reprimand (More...)
- Timo Glock (Virgin) Failing to stay above the minimum time set by the FIA ECU, Reprimand (More...)
- Lucas di Grassi (Virgin) Failing to stay above the minimum time set by the FIA ECU, Reprimand (More...)
- Robert Kubica (Renault) Unsafe release from pit stop, 10 second stop and go penalty (More...)
- Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) Exceeding ten car length behind safety car, drive through penalty (More...)
- Mercedes GP. Unsafe release of Car 4 after a pit stop, fined $ 50,000 (More...)
- Renault F1. Unsafe release of Car 11 after a pit stop, fined $ 50,000 (More...)
- Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) Illegitimately impeded Car 9 during an overtaking manoeuvre, 10 place grid drop at next event (More...)

Belgian Grand Prix
- Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 5 Place grid drop for taking a new gearbox (More...)
- Jarno Trulli (Lotus) Speeding in the pitlane during qualifying 121.7 km/h, fined € 4,400 (More...)
- Timo Glock (Virgin) Impeding car number 20, 5 place grid drop (More...)
- Sebastien Buemi (Toro Rosso) Impeding car number 4, 3 place grid drop (More...)
- Pedro de la Rosa (Sauber) Using engine outwith season allocation, 10 place grid drop (More...)
- Incident at turns 18/19 when cars left the track, no further action (More...)
- Incident between cars 8 and 9 at turn 19, racing incident no further action (More...)
- Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) Caused a collision, drive through penalty
- Jaime Alguersuari (Toro Rosso) Left track at turn 18/19 and gained an advantage, drive through after race so 20 seconds time penalty applied (More...)

Italian Grand Prix
- Timo Glock (Virgin) Replaced differential after FP3, 5 place grid drop (Technical Report Doc. 16) (More...)
- Vitaly Petrov (Renault) Impeding another driver during Q1, 5 place grid drop (More...)
- Incident in qualifying between Jaime Alguersuari (Toro Rosso) and Michael Schumacher (Mercedes), no further action (More...)
- Jaime Alguersuari (Toro Rosso) Cutting a chicane and gaining an advantage, drive through penalty (More...)
- Hispania, fined $20,000 for an unsafe release from the pit in which a mechanic was injured (More...)

Singapore Grand Prix
- Adrian Sutil (Force India) Attempted to drive back to the pits with a damaged car, $10,000 fine (More...)
- Christian Klien (Hispania) Speeding in the pitlane 92.5 km/h, fined € 6,600 (More...)
- Timo Glock (Virgin) Speeding in the pitlane 76.6 km/h, fined € 3,400 (More...)
- Bruno Senna (Hispania) Speeding in the pitlane 97.4 km/h, fined € 7,600 (More...)
- Christian Klien (Hispania) Speeding in the pitlane 88.2 km/h, fined € 5,800 (More...)
- Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) Driver investigated for setting fastest sector time under yellow flag. No action taken, driver had taken appropriate action (More...)
- Sauber, Car 22 was released from the pit in an unsafe manner causing car 3 to take avoiding action. Fine $20,000 (More...)
- Incident involving Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) and Mark Webber (Red Bull, no action required (More...)
- Incident involving Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) and Nick Heidfeld (Sauber), no action required (More...)
- Adrian Sutil (Force India) Cut a corner and gained an advantage. 20 seconds added to elapsed time (More...)
- Bruno Senna (Hispania) Collision with the rear of car 23 which was stationary, no action required (More...)
- Nico Hulkenberg (Williams) Left the track and gained an advantage, 20 seconds added to elapsed time (More...)
Source: http://www.vivaf1.com/penalties.php

Cheers FatboyTim thats a very handy list to compare to the game penalties.

Most of the pit lane speeding incidents happen in FP and they all received only fines, In F1 2010 I get a grid penalty. There is one occasion where a driver got a drive though for speeding in the pit lane during a race but other occasions there was only a fine applied.

I think codemasters went off the idea that the FIA is consistent in it's issuing of penalties but this list proves otherwise.

I still think that some of the penalties are too harsh and there need better mechanisms in place to punish those accountable. I understand its a very tough area for programers but it still grinds my gears lol.

Back