Penrose Tackie talks about GRAN TURISMO PSP

• Thread starter Aero-R
  • 23 comments
Aero-R
Don't know if already commented, but I think no. Today Penrose Tackie has left some new info about Gran Turismo PSP on the EU Playstation 3 blog. Chris Hinojosa Miranda and Taku Imasaki, answer a few questions from the post before (the one that included the 3 min. interview). Don't forget to post there, in this new entry at the EU blog, the doubts for Gran Turismo 5 since Penrose Tackie announces they will give Gran Turismo 5 related info soon. Take a look:

Hello there Gran Turismo fans. I’m Penrose Tackie Gran Turismo European Brand Manager. Our friends in the US have recently followed up a Kazunori-san interview with a quick heads-up about the forthcoming GT-PSP release, so if you’re salivating waiting on new information on the groundbreaking appearance of Gran Turismo on the PSP read on…

Last week we gave you 3 and a half minutes with Polyphony Digital’s Kazunori Yamauchi on Gran Turismo PSP. That’s not enough, you said! So as promised, we fired off your questions to the game’s US Producers, Chris Hinojosa Miranda and Taku Imasaki, and below are their responses.
Also, we know you have a lot of questions about Gran Turismo 5, and we’ll be calling for those soon. But for now, we’re just focused on GT PSP.
Could we expect any compatibility of Gran Turismo PSP with Gran Turismo 5 (like Resistance: Retribution with Resistance 2)? - TRIX_BOL
Polyphony has always pushed the hardware boundaries of every console it’s been released on…and while this isn’t really answering your question, it does leave it open for you to imagine the possibilities.

Is GT PSP going to have DLCs (such as new cars, tracks, etc..)? - TRIX_BOL

We’re planning on having 800+ cars right out of the box, which is pretty much a lifetime’s worth of racing (I’m still unlocking cars from GT4). With that sort of breadth and reach of options, having DLC would be like tossing water into the ocean.
Will cars get damaged on GT PSP? - TRIX_BOL
Damage? No. 800+ cars, 35 tracks, on-the-go awesomeness, and a lifetime’s worth of racing, yes.
Will we see Porche, Lamborghini in the PSP version? - wbrinkman
Our car selection is pretty broad — there is a lot of candy, that’s for sure — but as far as flavors, you’ll just have to wait a bit more.
Will there be a downloadable demo of Gran Turismo for the PSP? - grashopper
We wish we can provide one, but at this time, there are no plans. We are focusing our efforts on Gran Turismo and GT5.
It appears that the AI car count is 3 cars on track. Counting you, there would be 4 cars in the race. Wouldn’t it have been better to drop the framerate of the game from 60 to 30 and increased the car count? - grashopper
We went through many experiments but came to the conclusion that having three opponents gives you the best portable racing experience while maintaining the Gran Turismo level of quality.
Cmon fellas…GT5 Prologue update? Eh, eh? Custom soundtracks? Maybe trophies, a lobby system? Screenshot function? - FoomMan
Sorry FoomMan, we’re around the bend and down the straight: the team’s main focus at this point is making sure GT PSP (and GT5) are in your hands.

· source:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/07/14/gran-turismo-psp-your-questions-answered/

Last edited:
Not the greatest set of answers in the world I'll be honest. Nothing new here at all other than confirmationthere will be no more work on prologue which isn't a surprise and doesn't matter.

Not the greatest set of answers in the world I'll be honest. Nothing new here at all other than confirmationthere will be no more work on prologue which isn't a surprise and doesn't matter.
Yeah Chris Hinojosa Miranda and Taku Imasaki didn't left much info on those answers. I expected a better answer for the Lamborghini and Porsche question, honestly.

Apart the 4 cars definite explanation, nothing new under the sun:

What about:
- basic option like car colors for stock ? (just the RED Nissan on the E3 demo)
- race long replay? (it wasn't the case in the E3 demo)
- 100 Missions apart, what else for gameplay, free race, free championship options?
- ingame views ? (no bonnet, no top view like in GT4?)
- El Capitan and Le Man(la sarthe) In or Out ?
- some direct feed (not from a external capture) ingame/replay videos and screenshots of the last build?

The screenshot seems to be from the last build and an acurate representation of what we will play in October: from the E3 video, reflections matches the ones on the screenshot.

Last edited:
I already see lots of people interpreting lots of bullexcrement in this.

EDIT: El Capitan is in, dunno about Le Mans, but why not? The Schleife is also there.

Same thing on the US Blog too.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/14/gran-turismo-psp-your-questions-answered/

Hmm, the only question I submitted that was asked was regarding damage, but this came from another commenter.

Well, we now know there is no damage and no DLC. The 4 cars per track in all modes is confirmed. I just hope they did away with rabbits. Pass two cars immeidately and sepend the next two laps or so chasing an impossibly fast AI car.

And why so coy about Porsche and Lamborghini? I bet they have a surprise up their sleeve. I wonder if they will drop that on us with GT5 news too.

Forgot to add: They also confirmed no more Prologue updates.

Last edited:
Well, we now know there is no damage and no DLC. The 4 cars per track in all modes is confirmed. I just hope they did away with rabbits. Pass two cars immeidately and sepend the next two laps or so chasing an impossibly fast AI car.
I think I readed before a confirmation for no DLC from Yamauchi, but the no damage and the only 4 cars were new for me and unexpected. I thought they would use 6 cars on track and that may include damage as it was easier to do in PSP since less detail is needed. But since many GT4 content and art is used, I expected the no damage answer at the same time.

Forgot to add: They also confirmed no more Prologue updates.
Well, I thought about a litle adition to the Prologue videos with the content of the lastest Yamauchi things in UK (the race with that old Jaguar for example), but.. we better have them working on GT5.

the answers were so vague. . but, in the question about porsche and lamborghini being included, that answer was intriguing, at least to myself. they Could have some surprise for us, but then again, it Can mean just the opposite.

Maybe from the interview that Jordan announced and asked us some days ago to write our questions to PD we'll get some more info, even if little 💡

Will we see Porche, Lamborghini in the PSP version? - wbrinkman
Our car selection is pretty broad — there is a lot of candy, that’s for sure — but as far as flavors, you’ll just have to wait a bit more.

Beating around the bush, again. Nothing new there, but a simple "yes" or "no" would suffice. Honestly, I think it's going to arrive at some point where Porsche, Lamborghini and whoever else actually are announced as being in-game, some will just shrug it off and pay attention to everything else.

Anticipation can be your best friend, or your worse enemy.

Beating around the bush, again. Nothing new there, but a simple "yes" or "no" would suffice. Honestly, I think it's going to arrive at some point where Porsche, Lamborghini and whoever else actually are announced as being in-game, some will just shrug it off and pay attention to everything else.

Anticipation can be your best friend, or your worse enemy.
Every marketing team has a list of go and no go areas to discuss. If they are waiting to drop their bomb at a sopecific time, or have other things up their sleeve that a confirmed no Porsche/Lambo comment will cause to be overlooked, then saying anything now is bad.

Every marketing team has a list of go and no go areas to discuss. If they are waiting to drop their bomb at a sopecific time, or have other things up their sleeve that a confirmed no Porsche/Lambo comment will cause to be overlooked, then saying anything now is bad.

I'm fine with that, you should hold back things that would really make an impact, but the main problem at this point is there's nothing really to go on that's rock solid. Sure, we have what we know (or think we know) from Prologue and the E3 trailer, but small almost insignificant things like that are just making you wonder more - "What am I really paying for?"

It's nearly becoming impromptu vaporware, and as I said before anticipation at this point is their worse enemy.

Another thing is at this point the only thing (in my opinion) that would, rather can overshadow any mentioned feature, manufacturer, or even pair of tires is the release date.

How nice of them to have picked up my question and not answered it, actually non of them them questions led to any new information. This "wait and see" mentality is pointless when you are supposedly go around answering questions. Yes, more media attention - but im also now less interested in the psp version. Well played.

Isn't this that interview?
No, this is not the interview where our questions are being fielded. I will, of course, let you know when that one comes out, but after seeing their answers to these questions, I wouldn't expect too much.

And why so coy about Porsche and Lamborghini? I bet they have a surprise up their sleeve. I wonder if they will drop that on us with GT5 news too.

I'm waiting on a Porsche and/or Lamborghini reveal trailer in which one of the supercars is totaled. :sly: It would be a great way to introduce them after the whole "we can't do damage because car manufacturers don't like it" thing.

They went into no detail at all. They just asked the obvious. At least we go into detail.

Two facts:

1. When this game was announced back then, and nothing appeared, people were annoyed.
2. Now the game has been announced and is set for launch in October, people are still annoyed due to lack of this, lack of that...

Grow up.

Very poor questions and answers... "4 cars",
I agree here. I would have liked 6, as in the past.

"no damage"
Being a mainly GT4-based game I expected this, and don't know why some people seem upset.

"no update"
It is a PSP game. Aside from Rock Band Unplugged I know of no game on a portable device that has a regular update/DLC scheme. And they have a very good point: 800 cars. Without knowing the car list, how can you want more? To date, this is the largest amount of developer created content announced in any racing game. DLC seems to be a bit unnecessary, unless it is to just pop in new 2011 models or something. And who knows, in a year or two they may decide to offer a car update pack.

"no demo"
I'm torn on this one. A demo would be nice. On the other hand I will likely preorder anyway, and Sony's latest trend of getting the demo as a preorder bonus is kind of sad. Without a demo it means that if they have a preorder bonus it may be something actually cool. I would love to get something like a model of the GT by Citroen, or a PS One Classics version of GT1 and GT2.

yes, 3 AI only is a bit rough.... especially with the old time dumbness of GT AI. I hope it won't make the game too easy (or too difficult)

Two facts:

1. When this game was announced back then, and nothing appeared, people were annoyed.
2. Now the game has been announced and is set for launch in October, people are still annoyed due to lack of this, lack of that...

Grow up.

I want to know who tinkles in your corn flakes on a daily basis. :odd:

GT Mobile - it's first and last GT game for PSP, because it developed for 5 years. And i would like to see any updates for this fantastic game.
Polyphony Digital released two version for PS1, two version for PS2 and already two version for PS3 (GT HD and GT Prologue) and nothing for PSP for this moment.

Back