people that use controllers get better times than wheel users

• Thread starter FinnZevo
  • 22 comments
United States
Tour Bus
DKGuitarstar
Finn Zevo
Im in a club that is ranked 11th in the world and im the only one in it that uses a wheel and plays in cockpit view,the other members use the controller using the chase cam and their times are alot better than me...thoughts on this please

It's an arcade racer, no surprise.
Im in a club that is ranked 11th in the world and im the only one in it that uses a wheel and plays in cockpit view,the other members use the controller using the chase cam and their times are alot better than me...thoughts on this please

Using a wheel in Driveclub is considerably more difficult than using a controller, however the driving physics are exactly the same with both so once you've got used to it you should be able to set near-enough identical lap times.

One of my clubmates 'Kie25' uses a wheel and he's one of the fastest guys out there, he's currently 2nd place on the Venom Hot Lap leaderboard (He was 1st until his time got beaten a couple of days ago) and he holds a load of overall track records too. It did take him weeks to get used to playing Driveclub on the wheel though.

They're better than you.
No their not,i can get those times with a controller, but i choose to be sim, not a arcade racer..

What is the ranking? 11th of what?
Leaderboards, my club is 11th in the world

Using a wheel in Driveclub is considerably more difficult than using a controller, however the driving physics are exactly the same with both so once you've got used to it you should be able to set near-enough identical lap times.

One of my clubmates 'Kie25' uses a wheel and he's one of the fastest guys out there, he's currently 2nd place on the Venom Hot Lap leaderboard (He was 1st until his time got beaten a couple of days ago) and he holds a load of overall track records too. It did take him weeks to get used to playing Driveclub on the wheel though.
What wheel does he use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Either you have a bad wheel or you need to practice on the wheel. It's pretty much a fact that wheel users are faster than DS3 users.

^lol triple post
Also why does this matter at all? Your time is up to driver skill. And besides, if you feel satisfied with your time, then feel good. Don't mind what kind of times you post.

No their not,i can get those times with a controller, but i choose to be sim, not a arcade racer..
If they are faster than you, they are better than you. It doesn't really matter what control interface they're using - they can get better times because they are better at the game.

If you're saying you're as fast with the controller as they are but worse with the wheel, perhaps you need more practice with that wheel or the game is optimised for controllers rather than wheels - but either way they're faster because they're better at the game than you.

Also use the edit button or the multiquote feature. I've just merged two triple-posts from you.

They are not better than me,and you can stop saying that,but im sure this game was made to be played with the ds4 controller..all simcade racers are...ive won many tournments is the past only using a wheel,this game is just not optimized right for it..from all your responses i can tell you only use a controller..

I've seen you say that the physics are the same with a controller before, but I'm not sure how you can make that statement. In order to make the controller more forgiving the game doesn't require the subtle inputs necessary to keep the car balanced and minimize wheel spin. Slides are much easier to catch with a pad. If you go off the track into grass the car will not want to spin as much as with the wheel. Sure the braking zones are the same and the car accelerates at the same rate, but that's where the similarities end. There are a very select few that can keep up with pad users using the wheel. They have somehow found a way to keep the car balance and free of wheel slip though corners. This takes incredible skill with delicate touch with the brake and throttle, and a Mozart-like working of manual gears. I know it still requires a great amount of skill to post op times with a pad, but the real difference lies in the players at that next skill tier down. There will be a difference of 2-3 seconds per lap in these players. I think Evo needs to close the gap a bit by increasing the difficulty in using the pad. I know this will never happen, but I have to disagree that the physics are the same. I can take the exact same lines and use the same braking points as a pad users. Where they have the biggest advantage is the reduced wheel spin they get around and out of corners.

I've seen you say that the physics are the same with a controller before, but I'm not sure how you can make that statement. In order to make the controller more forgiving the game doesn't require the subtle inputs necessary to keep the car balanced and minimize wheel spin. Slides are much easier to catch with a pad. If you go off the track into grass the car will not want to spin as much as with the wheel. Sure the braking zones are the same and the car accelerates at the same rate, but that's where the similarities end. There are a very select few that can keep up with pad users using the wheel. They have somehow found a way to keep the car balance and free of wheel slip though corners. This takes incredible skill with delicate touch with the brake and throttle, and a Mozart-like working of manual gears. I know it still requires a great amount of skill to post op times with a pad, but the real difference lies in the players at that next skill tier down. There will be a difference of 2-3 seconds per lap in these players. I think Evo needs to close the gap a bit by increasing the difficulty in using the pad. I know this will never happen, but I have to disagree that the physics are the same. I can take the exact same lines and use the same braking points as a pad users. Where they have the biggest advantage is the reduced wheel spin they get around and out of corners.

You're confusing the physics with the superior lock to lock of pads, I think.

While you can change direction near instantly with a controller when entering a spin, you need time to do so with a wheel. Don't really think the difference in throttle input matters that much in DC, except for 2-3 cars.

Last edited:
Chase cam users will always have an advantage over us cockpit users, Also physics wise this game is just not setup for wheel users to be as fast as the pad users. Hardcore sims seem to be the only games were wheel users are faster due to the psysics being programmed primalry for the wheel rather than pad.

They are not better than me,and you can stop saying that,but im sure this game was made to be played with the ds4 controller..all simcade racers are...ive won many tournments is the past only using a wheel,this game is just not optimized right for it..from all your responses i can tell you only use a controller..
At the end of the day it is you who is driving so you are likely getting beaten by wheel users and controller users who are lot better than you as mentioned in your first post.
Chase cam users will always have an advantage over us cockpit users, Also physics wise this game is just not setup for wheel users to be as fast as the pad users. Hardcore sims seem to be the only games were wheel users are faster due to the psysics being programmed primalry for the wheel rather than pad.
I use cockpit view, doesn't seem to slow me down... Also I see wheel users doing really well, first place is not out of reach with wheel and seems in a way dominated at top by wheel users. I gave the T300 a go for probably less than an hour and I could hit top sector times so this view thing and control input are just mere excuses as nothing is stopping people doing competitive times as others with same input devices and views. It would be good if wheel FFB was improved to get similar level of feedback as the DS4 though.

The game is easier on controller, but if your a fast wheel user its not a problem to get top spots.
I hear in game wheel settings are coming in April, bout time too.

At the end of the day it is you who is driving so you are likely getting beaten by wheel users and controller users who are lot better than you as mentioned in your first post.

I use cockpit view, doesn't seem to slow me down... Also I see wheel users doing really well, first place is not out of reach with wheel and seems in a way dominated at top by wheel users. I gave the T300 a go for probably less than an hour and I could hit top sector times so this view thing and control input are just mere excuses as nothing is stopping people doing competitive times as others with same input devices and views. It would be good if wheel FFB was improved to get similar level of feedback as the DS4 though.

That goes against what the OP was saying so who's right and who's wrong?

That goes against what the OP was saying so who's right and who's wrong?
In his first post, he was saying he was getting beaten by other members in his club that all use the DS4, and I'm sure from that he is right going by his posts. If someone who is fast with a wheel in Driveclub was in the club, I can imagine them leading the way as I've seen a number of fastest times done by wheel users.

The physics model is fundamentally the same whether you're using a wheel or a controller, Evo have confirmed this. The difference presumably lies in the amount of driving assists that each has enabled, and like Jawehawk said the ability to go from lock to lock slightly quicker.

The game is easier on controller, but if your a fast wheel user its not a problem to get top spots.
I hear in game wheel settings are coming in April, bout time too.
Good to hear that! By the way, I think it is no point to argue between the DS4 and wheel, DS4 is easier but it does not guarantee you are a fast racer, a wheel is comparatively much more difficult to use but it does not mean you can't make top records, I think it is all about getting used to it, for example, I am faster on a wheel than a DS4, so, do whatever you have to do to get top of the leaderboard matters, it is the common objective!

Latest Posts

Back