Perfect Racing Game Soundtrack?

• Thread starter theknyte
  • 5 comments
United States
Oregon, USA
theknyte
theknyte
If you could be the Music Producer for a racing game, and have access to license any songs you want, what would be your top ten choices?

Mine would be all driving related songs that get me pumped up to race.
1. Fuel - Metallica
2. Highway Star - Deep Purple
3. Highway To Hell - AC/DC
4. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
5. I Can't Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar
6. Red Barchetta - Rush
7. The Breeders – Drivin On 9
8. The Flaming Lips - Plastic Jesus
9. Wherever I May Roam - Metallica
10. Rob Zombie - Dragula

What's everyone else's choices?

Gran Turismo 4 pretty much nailed it for me.

If I had to make a list of songs:

1. Muse - Starlight
2. Queen - Don't stop me now
3. The Killers - When you were young
4. Avenged Sevenfold - Bat Country
5. Bullet for my valentine - Scream aim fire
6. Audioslave- Cochise
7. Green Day - Boulevard of broken dreams
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the way
9. Oasis - Rock n roll star
10. Muse - Supermassive Black Hole

Last edited:
Don't think it's possible to make a perfect list without knowing what kind of racing game it is. To me, it's more important that the music matches the atmosphere of the game rather than just shoehorning my favourite songs into the playlist. I like a wide variety of genres, from Gran Turismo's elevator music, Ridge Racer's jazz funk, Rom di Prisco's NFS techno and even some of the rap from Underground era (despite normally not liking those kind of songs). But they won't mix well with each other or taken out of their respective games.

I also miss dynamic soundtracks that change according to the current situation on screen. RR4's Naked Glow for example has a specific passage that always plays near the end of the second lap as you go down the downhill esses. It's one of the most memorable songs from the game because of that. From recent games, I remember only Split/Second has this feature.

Bonus points also to racing games that makes its own soundtrack from scratch. Driveclub's whole soundtrack is one of the best in recent memory because of this.

Burnout 3 definitely had one of the best soundtracks I've heard. NFS Underground 2 had a very catchy menu and racing soundtrack as well. Pretty much any mid-2000's racing game had a good soundtrack tbf, as I'd include FlatOut 2 in there tbh
If we're talking about originally composed tracks, Blur really hit hard with its menu music. I've got it set as my alarm ringtones funnily enough, that's how much I liked them.
NFS The Run though probably had the best song choices for every kind of scenery, can't think of one music track that felt out of place, and the composed OST was wonderful to listen to.

Back