Performance Point Differences

• Thread starter hawkeyez
  • 16 comments
Canada
Canada
the-1st-hawkeyez
So myself and the people I race with like to match our performance points and run the same cars. Lately we’ve been making sure we all have identical parts installed and setups but one of us always has a different number. It’s like, wide body? Check! Wide tires and Offset? Check. Etc etc etc. down to every detail but they’ll still be up by like 5-10 points or down by 5-10 points. We can’t figure out what’s going on. Even making sure the cars have fresh oil. I feel like we are missing something.

Do cars gain or lose PP as you drive them? The last one we were trying to match up both were hardly driven.

So myself and the people I race with like to match our performance points and run the same cars. Lately we’ve been making sure we all have identical parts installed and setups but one of us always has a different number. It’s like, wide body? Check! Wide tires and Offset? Check. Etc etc etc. down to every detail but they’ll still be up by like 5-10 points or down by 5-10 points. We can’t figure out what’s going on. Even making sure the cars have fresh oil. I feel like we are missing something.

Do cars gain or lose PP as you drive them? The last one we were trying to match up both were hardly driven.
It's wonky as hell right now. I just noticed that the F1 road tuned to 699.xx for Sarthe that I'd just completed became 702.xx when I got back to the main menu.

There's also really weird jumps/drops in PP by changing the downforce or ballast, where it'll be ascending/descending linearly with each click but then suddenly raise or drop exponentially, then one more click it goes back to a linear progression.

I thought they finally had the PP sorted after they removed the suspension and LSD from the calculation, but apparently not. I have no clue how to work around the issue, as I've noticed the same thing when trying to tune duplicate cars to the exact level for custom races. Though I do think as long as you've got the same downforce, weight, same parts, etc they should all perform the same regardless of what the PP number reads. I've only tested it for a brief period but they seemed to accelerate and top out at the same speeds in roughly the same lap times (within the margin of user error) at "Route X" or whatever it's called.

Last edited:

Do you use different metric systems? I thought about it for some time and maybe difference is coming from conversion of values and rounding digits.

Do you use different metric systems? I thought about it for some time and maybe difference is coming from conversion of values and rounding digits.
I’ll have to double check on that but we usually check out top speeds on the straights and everybody announces them in MPH. But good point I’m going to check on that. The weird thing is, we have other cars that do match up, within a few decimal points anyway. It’s the ones that are off by 5-10 that are messing with us. Thanks, going to check that tonight.

The tuning menu is always metric though, surely it shouldn't make a difference?

They only lose PP if it gets too worn, but they're easy to fix. Oil goes rather quickly and only affects performance below normal, but the engine and body can also get worn if driven a lot.

Last edited:
The tuning menu is always metric though, surely it shouldn't make a difference?
Umm no, I'm using tunes from Praiano and he has lbs, ft-lbs, etc. and I'm on kg, nm. Often despite having same settings mine has different PP, so my guess was that conversion messes the outcome.

Umm no, I'm using tunes from Praiano and he has lbs, ft-lbs, etc. and I'm on kg, nm. Often despite having same settings mine has different PP, so my guess was that conversion messes the outcome.
1669233486319.png

I always paid more attention to the settings on the right, which are in metric, but you're right that they're not metric on the left. The settings themselves are what should matter, if the menu is done right.

If you haven't checked a car since the most recent time the PP system was updated, the PP won't update to the correct value immediately, it recalculates when you go to the setup screen or try to enter it into a race. That's probably the cause of most of the weird issues.

Sometimes the PP "jumps" with downforce especially are because the PP is based on behind-the-scenes simulations. If a car loses grip in the test at a certain downforce level, that will cause a big difference in PP for a small difference in downforce.

Are some people using "metric" horsepower (PS/Ch/cv etc) - the unit of the devil - while others are using proper horsepower (hp)?

View attachment 1210174
I always paid more attention to the settings on the right, which are in metric, but you're right that they're not metric on the left. The settings themselves are what should matter, if the menu is done right.
Yeah, in theory yes, but I imagine that car weight affects Rotational G and this affects overall PP. And so if whole metric system thingy is done poorly (let's assume that it takes value in LBS you see on the left and converts it to kilograms because it's the base unit for calculations) it will result in some inconsistencies.

If you haven't checked a car since the most recent time the PP system was updated, the PP won't update to the correct value immediately, it recalculates when you go to the setup screen or try to enter it into a race. That's probably the cause of most of the weird issues.

Sometimes the PP "jumps" with downforce especially are because the PP is based on behind-the-scenes simulations. If a car loses grip in the test at a certain downforce level, that will cause a big difference in PP for a small difference in downforce.
Yeah we’ve done that, and we’ll get in the car see if it changes. But it doesn’t.

It happened on the Z performance ‘23 Nissan. He won it, I bought it. Wide tires and offset, same aerodynamics, all settings/setup identical. He was 7pp lower?

Although I just had a thought, maybe I put different rims on then him? Would that make a difference?

It happened on the Z performance ‘23 Nissan. He won it, I bought it. Wide tires and offset, same aerodynamics, all settings/setup identical. He was 7pp lower?
Which is pretty much what you'd expect when one car has 300hp and the other has 300PS...
Are some people using "metric" horsepower (PS/Ch/cv etc) - the unit of the devil - while others are using proper horsepower (hp)?

Which is pretty much what you'd expect when one car has 300hp and the other has 300PS...
I’ll look into it. Is that set in the main game options? Units? Cause I know for sure his speedometer reads out in MPH.

Back