Performance Through Lightweight - Chapter 2

Smart_Roadster's attempt at a Fan Fiction​
First of all, I have not yet had the chance to take all the pictures needed, so at the moment it's text only. The pictures will be up ASAP; until then, you will have to use your imagination. Enjoy!

Intro
Adam is a university student who has a passion for cars and racing. He shares a flat in London with his friend Joel, who is interested in music and sports. Adam is studying arts at university, but at the same time is trying to make a name for himself in the racing world. This is his story.
Chapter 1 - The Gift
4/6/2011 - Adam stood on the stage and accepted the slip of paper. With him were 7 other hopefuls who had all made it through. He had done his training, and was now standing there, staring with glee at the paper in his hand. His racing license.

Adam drove out of the racing academy in his beige Volvo 740 estate. He had bought it for £450 as his first car, and it had served him well. But as he pulled into his usual parking space outside his central London flat, there was a cough from the engine and smoke began trickling from the bonnet. 'DAMN!' :banghead:

He got out, slammed the door, and stepped into the lift. Soon, he was back at his apartment. He walked in to find his roommate Joel watching the Euro 2012 qualifiers. They greeted each other and Adam told Joel about his success at the racing school and his mishap with the Volvo.
'Don't worry' said Joel. 'Me and the guys at uni decided to all pitch in and get you a surprise gift. It's out back.'

Joel led Adam outside and down into the alleyway behind the flats. The colour struck him first. Yellow. Dazzling amongst the sea of urban grey. Then the shape. Slick, beautiful and fast. It was a car. A 1996 Lotus Elise in mustard yellow.

photostream

'Thank you SO much!' exclaimed Adam with delight. 'I can't wait to try it out!'
'Well you're in luck,' replied Joel. 'There's a track day at a track up in Cheshire today - Runcorn Park or something.
'Oh yeah, Runcorn Raceway I think you mean. Nice little track.'
'It's happening at 6:00pm, you better get there quickly.'
'I'm out of here!'

Adam took the Lotus straight to some B-Roads to get there. It had a brilliant chassis, and surprising speed for a car with such a small power output.

photostream

photostream

He shot past the hapless Nissan Micra and kicked out the tail in the following corner.
photostream

''Ooh, he was going a bit quickly wasn't he bill?'
'Yes he was Ethel; now where's my boiled sweets?'

'Pfff... Sunday drivers...'
photostream

photostream

After three hours of hooning around on B-Roads, Adam arrived at Runcorn Raceway. 'Let the fun begin' :mischievous:

photostream

Last edited:
How about "The Iron Lotus"? [/Blades of Glory reference]

Skython11
Nice start, though a little small. The next chapter should be the other half of this one 👍

That's the plan. It seemed much longer when I was writing it to be honest. Oh, and it's not all happily driving around in a sports car. I don't want to give too much away. :sly:

Very interesting story so far. l'd like to see you stick with this story and work on some more chapters. l like it so far. Good job!

My suggestions for titles:

Velocity
Nail the Apex
Clip the Apex
Full Throttle
Straight Ahead
Forward Momentum
Faster

Hope l actually gave some good names there. :dopey:

Here's some advice: take the pictures before you publish the next chapter. We don't mind a long-ish wait for new chapters (if long-ish means up to a week).

Here's some advice: take the pictures before you publish the next chapter. We don't mind a long-ish wait for new chapters (if long-ish means up to a week).

Well most of the pictures are already taken, I just can't get my hands on the right equipment to upload them to my computer.

For suggestions on the name, how about "Lightweight POWWAAAR!" :lol:
Nice chapter. Looking forward to more. 👍

That is one hell of a gift! Must be a good guy if people want to buy him a car. Looks like a good start.

Chapter 2 - Runcorn Racers

So here he was. Adam in his brand new Lotus, waiting for the flag to drop at the track day at Runcorn Raceway. Then it did. The field of 12 cars screeched away, and straight away Adam was alongside a more powerful Audi TT.

photostream

However, he managed to pull away from it before the first corner and found himself next to a dark red S2 Lotus Elan.

photostream

He gave the driver a quick thumbs up before accelerating away towards some of the more powerful cars. After overtaking a handful of Japanese imports, Adam got into the slipstream of a Mercedes SL, which was possibly the most powerful car there. At the next corner, which was a sweeping left hander, he sailed passed it on the outside, doing justice to Colin Chapman's motto of 'performance through lightweight'.
photostream

Adam took the following corner a bit too quickly, but used his lightning reflexes to avoid the inevitable crash and black flag.

photostream

'Jesus, that was a close one...'

Next up was a big challenge: An Acura NSX.
'And I thought the Honda version was rare in Britain!'
But Adam and the Lotus took it with surprising ease.

photostream

'Supercar? Supercar my heel-and-toeing foot.'
''It seems the everyday supercar is a little TOO everyday...'

40 minutes later, Adam crossed the line.

photostream

Later, all the cars returned to the paddock and Adam drew up next to the red Lotus Elan. He was slightly surprised to see a pretty young woman step out.
'Nice car. My name's Adam, by the way.'
'Rachel. Pleased to meet you.'
They shook hands and began talking about their cars.
'So how did you come to get this?' Asked Adam, gesturing to the Elan.
'I bought it just the other week. It's not the fastest, but it handles really well and it looks brilliant. So when did you get your Elise?'
'Just today. I got my racing driver's license and my friends at university teamed up to buy it for me as a reward.'
Rachel was just about to say something when there was a hissing sound and the centre of gravity of Adam's Elise suddenly dropped. Then a car door slammed, tyres screeched and as Adam turned around he saw the white Audi TT racing off down the paddock.

🤬

Last edited:
Actually, I saw something today when I was at school which sort of links in with the story. In the car park, there was Lotus Elan +2 Coupé in exactly the same colour as Rachel's Elan Convertible. It could be a sign!

Chapter 2 - Runcorn Racers
Umm, sorry. But I just quoted your post to see your formatting, and you can't copy the image url and put it between tags.
You have to either use the BBCode version found in the sharing menu. The one with the facebook and mail icon, or opening the source image.
You have to have the image source to make it work by only putting them in 'tags'.
One of the shots would have to look like this.

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3237/5829091712_f99dd2f16e.jpg

Please quote this message to see what I mean. :)

And excuse the double post, wasn't thinking too clearly. :dunce:
And I think you mean Colin *Chapman's motto. :sly:

Umm, sorry. But I just quoted your post to see your formatting, and you can't copy the image url and put it between tags.
You have to either use the BBCode version found in the sharing menu. The one with the facebook and mail icon, or opening the source image.
You have to have the image source to make it work by only putting them in 'tags'.

Thanks, I'll try that next chapter.

And epic-car related fail...

So, before I do the next chapter, can you tell me how to do any of this? EDIT: OK, just saw the bit in your post saying quote it.
EDIT 2: I still don't know how to do that!

Last edited:
Back