Peugeot announces partnership with Rebellion (2022 Hypercar)Sports Cars 

• Thread starter G.T.Ace
  • 14 comments
Germany
Bonn
GTAce
PEUGEOT and REBELLION Corporation are pleased to announce that they will be joining forces to tackle the challenges of the FIA World Endurance Championship (FIA WEC) and the Le Mans 24 Hours.

From 2022, the two companies will focus their shared passion for racing, their respective success in the discipline and their sporting and technological pedigrees on contesting world class endurance racing’s Hypercar class using hybrid power.

Their association is driven by their resolve to make PEUGEOT’s commitment to endurance racing and REBELLION Corporation’s move into the prestigious championship’s new era a success. In January 2020, the technical squad will lay down the project’s main lines, as Peugeot Sport and REBELLION Racing put the team into place.
More here: https://www.rebellion-racing.com/en...2rOqhKMCDNG2seSogwfTvJB4rEtYiMHl4_7T-tqaacRrs

WEC_REB_FACE.jpg

Reminds me of something. ;)

b0c8dedd173a9038306536b1e7a7ada2.jpg

You see that the new face of Peugeot has been added. Wonder if the 750 will have anything todo with the hypercar class. I expect something in the lines of the VGT models or the ONYX. Their new Hybrid powerplants have been in full development so I expect great things of them in 2022!

Seems indeed an evolution of the L750! Peugeot director and GTSport tweeted about it :bowdown:

Last edited:
I saw that image on social media before following the link in the OP and I thought it was just some fan rendering, lol. Turns out it's actually official, and that blows my mind. Here I though the L750R was the silliest out of all the VGTs in GT Sport, and it's the closest out of all of them to actually being a thing.

Mind you, I don't hate VGT cars. It's just I thought the Peugeot would be the last one I would see in real life.

Called it when it was first announced that it's gonna be based on VGT. Surprised they went with the L750R instead of the original VGT if they're going to make it mid engined though.

Good news, but man, 2022 is far enough away that it's a struggle to get excited by this. Particularly if HyperCar is a collossal failure before they even get there. I'd hate to see HyperCar struggle and have Peugeot pull funding just before properly diving in, etc.

I do think overall it's strong news though and I hope it encourages some other manufacturers to consider it. Hypercar is in such a bizarre place right now...

It seems confirmed that the WEC Hypercar class cars would be placed in Gr.1 if they were added to GT. This could be really interesting, especially when some automakers may only be able to get into Gr.1 with a VGT and/or WEC Hypercar - Aston Martin comes to mind. The only two Aston Martins I could see being in Gr.1 at this point, are the AMR-One and the upcoming Valkyrie that's meant for the WEC Hypercar class.

I do think overall it's strong news though and I hope it encourages some other manufacturers to consider it. Hypercar is in such a bizarre place right now...

What do you mean, when you say it's in a bizarre place at the moment? It sounds like it'll be much more affordable than LMP1. We've already seen interest from Toyota, Aston Martin, and SCG, so I'm excited to see if more automakers join in, especially if they didn't bother with LMP1. There seem to be plenty of other road cars that could provide a basis for a WEC Hypercar, too, like the AMG Project ONE, or the McLaren Speedtail.

It's in a bizarre place because they're still re-working the regulations and the leading interested parties have to be on track within 10 months time in full race trim.

They've gone from road-inspired cars...to a mix of road inspired and prototypes (meaning they're yielding to some players to get more interest in the type). They've been going round and round with the budgets (with several interested parties apparently asking for larger budgets...which will then, in turn, crush the other smaller interested parties, etc.).

It's just a friggin' mess right now as a governing rule-set. The use of quasi-streetcars and prototypes also means the BOP will be a nightmare, etc. etc. etc.

Is it interesting and intriguing? Of course. Is it a circus of flinging poo right now? Also, yes.

They've gone from road-inspired cars...to a mix of road inspired and prototypes (meaning they're yielding to some players to get more interest in the type). They've been going round and round with the budgets (with several interested parties apparently asking for larger budgets...which will then, in turn, crush the other smaller interested parties, etc.).

It's just a friggin' mess right now as a governing rule-set. The use of quasi-streetcars and prototypes also means the BOP will be a nightmare, etc. etc. etc.

It sounds like some parties just want to continue LMP1. If the cars aren't road-inspired, and unaffordable for teams to competently compete, then what's the point?

Last edited:
That's kinda my point. I hope, I really do, that it turns out to be a wonderful and successful series. It's just in a super weird place right now. A short time frame, bizarre rules combinations, unknown budgets, etc.

I haven't been keeping up with the news, but as it hasn't been mentioned here Rebellion itself changed course in February, not only leaving this deal but pulling out of motorsports completely, at least from what I have seen.

I haven't been keeping up with the news, but as it hasn't been mentioned here Rebellion itself changed course in February, not only leaving this deal but pulling out of motorsports completely, at least from what I have seen.

Peugeot engaged a partnership with Total and first sketches were shown yesterday. Peugeot has chosen the hyperclass. 2022 should be the official entry for Le Mans .

So Peugeot are returning as a factory team, irrespective of Rebellion pulling out?

That's encouraging. The more manufacturers, the better. Toyota vs Aston Martin vs Peugeot would be more interesting than Toyota vs itself.

So Peugeot are returning as a factory team, irrespective of Rebellion pulling out?

That's encouraging. The more manufacturers, the better. Toyota vs Aston Martin vs Peugeot would be more interesting than Toyota vs itself.

Rebellion will return next year as Alpine with the LMP1 car and later probably with LMH, although I believe there's no official decision yet between LMH and LMDh, Renault decided to go into the top levels of motorsport (WEC, F1) using the Dieppe-based brand instead of being under the Renault Sport banner.

Back