Photos freezing in rendering mode in post-race replay.

United Kingdom
Druids Bend
Z4E_Midnight85
Hi all, hoping this is an easily-fixed bug and not something that will need patching, but I've been experiencing an issue whereby the game will get stuck rendering a photo in post-race photo mode, trying to take some pics of the race I had just run. It's happening every time now and the only thing I can do is quit the game and restart GT7.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is this a known issue? Any suggestions on a remedy?

I’ve been reporting it on my console every time. I’ve posted in the bug thread as well.

I stopped taking photos right after a race. I now save the replay and wait a while. Then, watch the whole replay and start replay again and take photos. The render still freezes, but I noticed it more right after I race to take photos. At least save your replay first, before taking a pic. So many fantastic shots I set up, just to have it stuck a quarter way through the render.

Not sure this is an easy fix.

I’ve been reporting it on my console every time. I’ve posted in the bug thread as well.

I stopped taking photos right after a race. I now save the replay and wait a while. Then, watch the whole replay and start replay again and take photos. The render still freezes, but I noticed it more right after I race to take photos. At least save your replay first, before taking a pic. So many fantastic shots I set up, just to have it stuck a quarter way through the render.

Not sure this is an easy fix.
Has it just started happening to you or been happening a while?

Hi all, hoping this is an easily-fixed bug and not something that will need patching, but I've been experiencing an issue whereby the game will get stuck rendering a photo in post-race photo mode, trying to take some pics of the race I had just run. It's happening every time now and the only thing I can do is quit the game and restart GT7.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is this a known issue? Any suggestions on a remedy?
Yes, I've been having this issue too and several others have reported this as well.

What console and game version do you use?

-

My workarounds seem to work, though - the main thing is to switch the quality from High to Medium - this is not ideal, but at least it lets you take Race Photos.

If it is important to you not to lose your replay or game progress, save the replay before trying to take any pictures.

I also suspect that some in-race settings might be partly to blame too, i.e. tyre smoke, 'dust', mist/rain etc., might also make the rendering part (where my game freezes) too onerous.

Also switching to a lower aspect ratio might help i.e. 16:9 and 12:5 in high quality mode is likely to cause a freeze for me, but I don't recall it ever crashing when quality is set to medium/low.

Yes, I've been having this issue too and several others have reported this as well.

What console and game version do you use?

-

My workarounds seem to work, though - the main thing is to switch the quality from High to Medium - this is not ideal, but at least it lets you take Race Photos.

If it is important to you not to lose your replay or game progress, save the replay before trying to take any pictures.

I also suspect that some in-race settings might be partly to blame too, i.e. tyre smoke, 'dust', mist/rain etc., might also make the rendering part (where my game freezes) too onerous.

Also switching to a lower aspect ratio might help i.e. 16:9 and 12:5 in high quality mode is likely to cause a freeze for me, but I don't recall it ever crashing when quality is set to medium/low.
I'm on PS4 standard and using High quality with 16:9 ratio. I'll try lowering the quality to Medium next time and see what happens.

Game progress doesn't seem to be lost when this happens, just the replays.

Add me to the list. I notice it happens the most on replays that involve a lot of cars, and when I change too many camera settings. I also started saving replays I want pics from, but it is still a crap shoot as to whether or not it happens.

Seems like it started happening after 1.15 or so, not exactly sure, but it didn't happen until a while after the game came out.

I'm on PS4 base, so even though I hate this problem and it sucks, I know the console is being pushed to it's limits pretty often, so I take it as it is, unfortunately.

Also multiple instances, reported every time. I have gotten into the habit of saving the replay before attempting photos from it.

I've been reporting it every time it happens on my console too (PS4), so many amazing shots lost.

Also found out from this thread that I can save replays, wasn't aware of this. Thanks guys 😊

Didn't make race photos until now (too busy with grinding). Yesterday i wanted to make a race photo from a post-race-replay (30 min race on Circuit de la Sarthe), a closeup of the right rearlight of the Porsche 911 GT3 (996) '01 where you can see what is "written" on the rearlight by the manufacturer (some numbers, made in Germany etc. which you can't see in Scape Mode because of too less zoom). Tried it 2x. The first time the rendering bar freezed at about 75 percent of the bar, the second time after completing the bar. I could leave the game with the PS button without error code and without losing progress (OK, the replay was lost). I'll try next time after i saved the replay.

I'm on PS4 Slim. Perhaps such a closeup is too much for the PS4. Setting quality from High to Medium could be an option. If it doesn't work, i have to use the SHARE button to have at least a screenshot.

There are so many Scape Locations, but i miss a location where you can walk around your car and make photos like it was in GT 5 & 6.

Last edited:
For me the situation has got even worse on the PS4 Slim.

Trying to take any Race Photo is hit and miss, but typically it has to be in Medium quality otherwise it will freeze.

However, there are even worse issues with wet races...

Even in Medium quality, the game will crash after taking a photo. Worse still, depending on the scene, the game will even crash the minute you activate photo mode i.e. before you've even had a chance to set the picture, let alone take it.

Photomode is a big part of the game for me, but alas it appears that at least the Race Photo function is largely beyond the PS4's capabilities.

For me the situation has got even worse on the PS4 Slim.

Trying to take any Race Photo is hit and miss, but typically it has to be in Medium quality otherwise it will freeze.

However, there are even worse issues with wet races...

Even in Medium quality, the game will crash after taking a photo. Worse still, depending on the scene, the game will even crash the minute you activate photo mode i.e. before you've even had a chance to set the picture, let alone take it.

Photomode is a big part of the game for me, but alas it appears that at least the Race Photo function is largely beyond the PS4's capabilities.
I'm sorry to hear that. Since GT SPORT the game has become such a complex thing, perhaps too complex. For example, in GT SPORT i was one of the small group of users who were affected by the "ghost bug" (in a TimeTrial i could load a ghost but it didn't appear though i checked every setting regarding the ghost function) which was never fixed by PD. Perhaps that's a reason why PD didn't implement the ghost loading feature in GT 7 (in all TimeTrial-Modes, Track Experiences, the new Sport Mode TimeTrials etc.). Now you have to begin always from scratch and you can't continue a session with an existing own ghost. Like Photomode the ghost loading feature for me is a big part of the game which PD cancelled in GT 7 right from the beginning.

Last edited:
Haven’t had an issue since getting the PS5. I did go back to booting it up on the PS4 slim and it stayed trying to load. Shut it down. Tired again another day and the game froze at the resort screen. I was glad I could play the game on debut, but maybe it was a bad idea to offer it on both systems.

Haven’t had an issue since getting the PS5. I did go back to booting it up on the PS4 slim and it stayed trying to load. Shut it down. Tired again another day and the game froze at the resort screen. I was glad I could play the game on debut, but maybe it was a bad idea to offer it on both systems.
From a marketing point of view it was the right decision. GT is a mass product, and millions of PS4 consoles couldn't be ignored, especially with the delivery problems of the PS5. But technically it was perhaps not a good idea. Will PD devide GT 7 in a PS4 and a PS5 branch so that the power of the PS5 can be used? Or do they shorten the lifetime cycle of GT 7 and release a GT 8 only for PS5 earlier (let's say in 3 years and not the 5+ years as it was in the past)?

Last edited:
From a marketing point of view it was the right decision. GT is a mass product, and millions of PS4 consoles couldn't be ignored, especially with the delivery problems of the PS5. But technically it was perhaps not a good idea. Will PD devide GT 7 in a PS4 and a PS5 branch so that the power of the PS5 can be used? Or do they shorten the lifetime cycle of GT 7 and release a GT 8 only for PS5 earlier (let's say in 3 years and not the 5+ years as it was in the past)?
I have no idea what both parties(Sony & PD) would do. They zig when they should zag. I was fine to be left in the dark, when the PS5 exclusive promotion was displayed. Then, fine with being those of us that missed out/couldn’t get/weren’t going to sit at the computer pressing refresh/signed up for notifications/were pandemic restricted/were chip shortage consumers.

I mean, the work around to make sure to save before snapping a photo helps. However, many times , hitting that X button and watching right away to enjoy the replay and see that shot, I would just do it and forget in the heat of the moment. So many cool shots lost.

It’s a pretty big and meaningful feature of the current franchise. Yeah, it’s a game, but many of us love playing with our cars. ;)

The only solution on the PS4 Slim that I've found is lowering the render resolution to Medium, it'll be 1080p pics instead of 4K which is annoying, but haven't had a freeze since. FWIW I think it improved with the latest update, I've been taking some 4K pics and the freezes are way less common (basically only during demanding situations like rain or multiple cars visible).

Back