Pick or pluck?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryan2
  • 15 comments
  • 723 views

Pick or Pluck?

  • Pick

    Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Pluck

    Votes: 4 44.4%

  • Total voters
    9
Messages
3,769
For all you guitar players - Do you pick or pluck when you play? I usually just kind of strum on it with the side of my thumb. I'm trying to get used to a pick, though.
 
I don't play, but my friends who play bass use a pick. How do I tell them that plucking sounds infinitely better without hurting their feelings? (:
 
Try plucking it for them and see how they like it. It requires no guitar talent whatsoever, just show them that it sounds better.

Or something.
 
I pick 95% but that's because I only play guitar. If I played bass I would probably pluck. I do a little hybrid picking on occasion, but the only time I ever strickly pluck is when I'm fooling around with it.
 
Originally posted by LoudMusic
I don't play, but my friends who play bass use a pick. How do I tell them that plucking sounds infinitely better without hurting their feelings? (:

Well, pick definately has it's different tone about it. "Punk" and "Death Metal" are good genra's for pick use. Most pickers on bass that I know, started out on guitar first. As a result, using a pick was just the natural choice. Show them such artists like Victor Wooten. He is all fingers... That might inspire them to drop the pick. ;)

Good luck.
 
I spent months learning to finger-pick. I feel it's easier to keep the strings "straight" and not pick the wrong note.
As an aside, it took me over 2 weeks to learn to "Travis pick".
I thumb pick on a bit of lead stuff when I play blues.
 
Speaking of pickers, all you young bucks should reall check out some Chet Atkins. He is a monster picker.
 
Originally posted by Pako
Speaking of pickers, all you young bucks should reall check out some Chet Atkins. He is a monster picker.
He was the best.
For blues style finger pickin' Check out Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, and Jimmie Vaughn-SRV's Big Bro.
For your absolute astonishment:
Phil Keaggy
Doyle Dykes
Monte Montgomery
Michael Hedges (defies catagorization)
Laurence Juber

That will give you some examples of awesome finger-pickers.

It truly matters not how you choose to play. Once you're comfortable, and sound good, you've found your style.:D
 
I use a pick. Mid or Heavy usually.
 
Both. It depends on the song. But if your style is pretty narrow then it'd have to be one or the other.
 
What exactly is the difference?
 
Picking has a sharp, snappy sound and finger picking, which is what I think they mean by "plucking", has a warmer, softer sound (some might say muddy).
 
Originally posted by sn00pie
What exactly is the difference?

Picking tone: *ting, ting, ting, ting*

Plucking tone: *bah, bah, bah, bah*

:lol: Sorry, that's my best description of the sound and tone of the differences of the two. I will add, that they make felt picks for bassists so that they can use a pick but make it sound like they're using their fingers. Haven't tried them, well because I use my fingers already.
 
I like pick bass, but it has to be done right and it has to fit the song as a whole. Then there's Geddy Lee who uses his fingers but his Rickenbacker and crunchy sound jump out at you as much as a pick.
 
Originally posted by milefile
I like pick bass, but it has to be done right and it has to fit the song as a whole. Then there's Geddy Lee who uses his fingers but his Rickenbacker and crunchy sound jump out at you as much as a pick.

Geddy actually uses both, depending on the song and/or bass that he's using, I've seen him use both picks, fingers, and fingernails which is like a natural pick. :)

There's definately a place for both, it all depends on the "tone" your going for. How about this:
tony_jerry_top.jpg


Notice the drumsticks.... ;)

Many different options.


Also, check out this harmonic tapping technique:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/3134/3134579.html
http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/3135/3135021.html


Oh and, lets not forget about Les Claypool:
attachment.php
 
And then there's Marc Sandman who uses a slide. I could not find a pic of him actually playing though. But I guess that's the other hand.
 
Back