Pinch HarmonicMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter xXSilencerXx
  • 6 comments
  • 832 views
Messages
1,759
I'm tryin to learn to play Round and Round by Ratt and there are some pinch harmonics in it. Problem is I don't know how to do a pinch harmonic and the explination in the back of the book is vague. It just says touch the string with your index or thumb when you pick it. I try that but I have no clue what I'm actually supposed to do to get the sound.

I believe some of you know how to do this. Any help would be awsome!
 
on bass you have to hold down the string very lightly, almost muffling it. my teacher encourages me to use pinch harmonics to tune.
 
Cool videos. The only thing he doesn't mention is how to add pressure to the string with the side of your thumb. From the wrist, just lightly start twisting until you get the correct amount of pressure on the string. Too little, no harmonic. Too much and no harmonic.

The index finger harmonics are a lot harder. Start off with the thumb. Make mental notes where on the string the harmonics sound the best and at what key (your pic hand). Near the bridge and the harmonic pitch gets higher. Near the neck joint, the harmonic pitch gets lower. You can even do some pinched harmonics while your right hand is completely over the fingerboard. But, the strings are a lot looser, so it's a little bit harder to do.

I use them often, as you can tell from my clips.
 
Thanks. 👍 The video helped. And Solid Lifters advice helped too 👍. I'm having trouble with getting the harmonic without accidentally hitting the next string, but I have found them I guess I just need to practice them now.
 
No problem. 👍 I don't even play guitar and I found those videos really interesting.
 
No problem. 👍 I don't even play guitar and I found those videos really interesting.



:lol: Yea for some reason it didn't occur to me to google it. Felt stupid after that but oh well got the job done.
 
Back