Pit Delta Times for All Tracks

• Thread starter fordskydog
  • 17 comments
Along the lines of the thread created by chuyler1 and linked to in the news post "GT5′s New Tire Degradation Dynamics Explored," we need to know a little more to make tire strategies for long races.

One important thing to know is the time it takes to pit on the particular track you're at.

The "delta time" as used by the SPEED crew on F1 broadcasts is the time difference between a normal lap and a lap with a pit stop. Obviously, some pit entrances and pit lanes are much longer than others. A few are really boring and seem to take as long as a lap (Eiger Nordwand short loop comes to mind).

A longer delta time would benefit longer-wearing tires. (At least that's my untested hypothesis.)

To properly measure delta time, you'd need to actually run two laps with a pit stop sandwiched in between, and compare that to 2x a normal lap time. The difference is the delta time.

Since the pit stops are automated, the delta time would be the same no matter the tire type. That is, assuming tire change is the controlling factor (not fueling enough so that it takes longer than tire change).

It would be rad to make a list of delta times for each track. If ya'll do one, post it here. I'll keep a running list in the top.

Another item that would be good to know for endurance racing strategy is fuel consumption per car per track per lap, but that is for another thread and way more complicated...

EDIT: Ok, I see the light on delta times being different for different types of cars. SO, let's just measure the pit time as time from when the computer takes over on the pit entry to when it relinquishes control on the exit. This should be the same for all cars.

Circuit de la Sarthe 2009 ~44 sec
Nurburgring Nordschleife ~28 sec
High Speed Ring ~48 sec
Côte D'Azur ~29 sec

Last edited:
The pit speed is limited, and maintained by the computer. Everything is automatic. I'm assuming no fueling or just a bit of fueling that takes less time than the tire change.

I don't see it, but explain why the type of car might change delta time.

Well slower cars take longer to get up to the speed limit, and might not be able to take any corners in the pits as quick as faster cars?

The pit time for most cars will be the same, but the delta will change due to the normal lap times for a faster car.

High Speed Ring, for example, has a long pit, so the faster a car is around the track normally, the more time will be lost while pitting.

To make the simplest possible comparison, a car that maxes out at 50mph will lose very little time making a pit, because the pit lane speed limit won't affect it.

The pit time for most cars will be the same, but the delta will change due to the normal lap times for a faster car.

High Speed Ring, for example, has a long pit, so the faster a car is around the track normally, the more time will be lost while pitting.

To make the simplest possible comparison, a car that maxes out at 50mph will lose very little time making a pit, because the pit lane speed limit won't affect it.

That's what I was trying to say but I messed up in my attempt to explain it.

Seems it would be easier to simply state the time from pit entrance to pit exit with tires and no gas.

dudeondacouch, cool. Test every car in the game with all of the different mods, collect all of the pit stop data and give us the whole story. We'll be waiting.

I calculate pit delta time from you get out of the track into pit ramp, until you enter the track. I double check it with my split time on the next sector, how much it differs from my normal sector time.

My contribution:
Circuit de La Sarthe 2009; LMP car; 700pp; pit times around 45 sec

Good idea, because there's certainly no helpful information to be gained from testing anything less than every combination of cars/parts in the entire game. :rolleyes:

Since it's always better to be solution oriented, here's something:

Test one car on one track, post up the Pit Delta, let the next user test something else. It won't be long until we have enough data to be useful.

I'll start...

Car: Trial Celica (399hp, All mods, RS tires, Online Lobby, High Quality)
Track: High Speed Ring
Normal Lap: ~1'07.00
Pit Entry Lap: ~1'17.00
Pit Exit Lap: ~1'29.00

Pit Delta: ~32 seconds.

Thanks for the helpers, death to the haters.

See the top post for an update. I checked the times submitted by dudeondacouch and diptob79. I used the Zonda R on soft race compound, otherwise stock with stock setups (a pain at Monaco, but good to ok elsewhere). I think with the revised metric, the car should be irrelevant. This is somewhat confirmed by checking my times against those given above. I found the same times, within the error introduced by trying to start my stop watch while driving, the difficult entry at High Speed Ring, etc.

I think this metric will still be helpful. If you want a true delta time for a say GT500 series of endurance races, then that will be car specific (or at least car type specific), and probably best discovered by you while testing/tweaking your car for a given track. I assume if you're going to commit to an endurance series or something, you're going to put in the time testing. But by all means you may share that information.

I do think the chosen metric will be helpful. So please help out if you want. I'll do a few a night, continue to check this thread, and update the top post as I go.

I guess NASCAR pits take longer, since they lift one side of the car at a time.

However, from the top of my head, all other cars have equal dynamics during the actual tyre change.

bumping an old thread :P

So let's say

My inlap is 1:36 and outlap is 1:52 and in both of those laps I'm doing 2 consistent laps which is as fast as 1:30 in normal hotlap

My pit delta which is the time I wasted in doing the pitstop would then be

(1:36+1:52) - (1:30+1:30) = 28s

Am I doing this right?

Well slower cars take longer to get up to the speed limit, and might not be able to take any corners in the pits as quick as faster cars?

That's why the approximate sign is in front. The actual delta time will vary depending on how fast you can get the car up to speed.

Pit Lane Delta is driving through the pit lane at the regulation pit lane speed, so GT3 at 50kmh as opposed to F1 at 80kmh. So Pit Lane Delta is faster for F1

Back