Pitstop Strategy Race C

• Thread starter Shottah072
  • 6 comments
Netherlands
Netherlands
Shottah072
Havent been racing last 2 weeks because of the holidays and my brake spring broke and i had to wait for the replacement spring.

Replaced the spring yesterday and started the daily C race, 10 laps at La Maggiore without looking at the wear and fuel rates. Around lap 4 i notice grip seems to be decreasing faster then what i was used to (i was thinking maybe they updated tire model or something lol). At lap 6 i was 3th and the leader and 2nd in front of me pit and i am like huh what the hell do we have to pit ? I pass finish line on that lap and a message comes up 1.2 laps of fuel remaining. Ok so we have to pit now, thats cool. I pit next lap and take some extra fuel to be sure this first time. I come back in 5th but manage to get back to 3th by the end of the race.

The next race i pitted one lap sooner on lap 6 and followed the leader by 1.5 sec into the pit. I return 6th and he 5th but i probably still took to many fuel cause the gap increased to 3.5. Managed to close the gap and we got back in 3th and 2nd but the new leader still had a gap when we finished. He must have pitted early and undercut us and managed his tires or something.

The next race was kind of the same. Running 2nd, pitted in lap 5 this time, return 5th or something and fight back to 2nd and finish close behind the leader.

So what do you guys think ? Is the undercut with a quick stop a viable strategy. Most were dropping pace pretty hard in the end but some did seem to be able to pull it off. When do you pit and what is your guys stategy and do you change accordangly to your track position ?

I tried pitting on lap 4 and it did not work for me. 5 or 6 seemed to suit me better, but I do seem hard on my tires so on balance 5 was fastest.

I prefer to pit in lap 6, save some fuel at the start by drafting, so less to fill up and have better tires at the end. I also did the race once without a pit stop in fuel economy mode, slipping around on bald tires in fuel map 5 doesn't get you anywhere.

This fast wear is creating new 'problems' at the end of the race. People that pit in lap 7 trying to overtake a field hanging on to tires from pitting early. I had not seen that many last lap accidents before. Of course having to switch from radar to fuel map and back is also not great while racing close together. It needs a separate display, or at least be next to each other.

What a wonderful way to implement custom race mode to work on figuring out how many laps a fuel load will last and how long before tire grip drops beyond acceptable limits to figure out a strategy for longer races that require pit stops to replace tires and take on fuel.

And if you listen to so many that claim custom races have no use and we have no offline content.

Early gearing first, than changing fuel on the Wheel, if i can use the slipstream i Try to set it down, and back. Doing this often.
I completely forgot about fuel management tbh :banghead: will try to implement it in my next races and see how that works out.

What a wonderful way to implement custom race mode to work on figuring out how many laps a fuel load will last and how long before tire grip drops beyond acceptable limits to figure out a strategy for longer races that require pit stops to replace tires and take on fuel.

And if you listen to so many that claim custom races have no use and we have no offline content.
Thats actually not a bad idea might have to try that to work things out.

Back