Slash

POWER BY FORD
Premium
United States
Indian Falls, NY
slashfan7964
PRSheppard2012VP113.jpg

solar%20system%20nasa.jpg

"These are the discovery images of 2012 VP113, nicknamed Biden (after Joe Biden) because of the VP in the provisional name. Three images of the night sky, each taken about two hours apart, were combined into one. The first image was artificially colored red, second green and third blue. 2012 VP113 moved between each image as seen by the red, green and blue dots. The background stars and galaxies did not move and thus their red, green and blue images combine to show up as white sources."

PRSheppard2012VP113OrbitsPicforWeb.jpg

"This is an orbit diagram for the outer solar system. The Sun and Terrestrial planets are at the center. The orbits of the four giant planets, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, are shown by purple solid circles. The Kuiper Belt, including Pluto, is shown by the dotted light blue region just beyond the giant planets. Sedna's orbit is shown in orange while 2012 VP113's orbit is shown in red. Both objects are currently near their closest approach to the Sun (perihelion)."

Our little corner of the universe just got a little more crowded.

Scientists at the Carnegie Carnegie Institution for Science announced Wednesday the discovery of a new cosmic neighbor -- a distant dwarf planet named 2012 VP113 that was found spinning in the depths of space well past Pluto. Its existence suggests there may be another actual planet out there, they said, a rogue giant ten times bigger than Earth orbiting in the distant blackness.

One thing is clear: Astronomers will have to rethink the cosmic limits of our solar system.

"This is an extraordinary result that redefines our understanding of our solar system," Linda Elkins-Tanton, director of Carnegie’s Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, said in a press release.

'Some of these objects could rival the size of Mars or even Earth.'
- Scott Sheppard of the Gemini Observatory

The solar system as we know it today is divided into three parts: First come the rocky, Earth-like planets that are closest to the sun, next the gas giant planets like Jupiter and Saturn, and finally the frozen objects in the Kuiper Belt outside of Neptune's orbit.

Pluto, which was demoted from planet status to dwarf planet in 2006, lives in the Kuiper Belt. And in it there appears to be a clear edge to the solar system 50 astronomical units out (AUs, a measure of the distance from the Earth to the sun) -- with the exception of the 2003 discovery of Sedna, one of those frozen objects that was believed until now to be the furthest known thing from the sun.

Sedna lives in a region of space called the Oort cloud, a vast region of space that may be where many comets come from. Sedna lives in it, and the discovery of 2012 VP113 suggests that there may nearly 1,000 objects beyond that 50 AU "end" of the solar system.

"The search for these distant inner Oort cloud objects beyond Sedna and 2012 VP113 should continue, as they could tell us a lot about how our solar system formed and evolved," Carnegie’s Scott Sheppard of the Gemini Observatory said in a press release.

2012 VP113 is located 80 times the distance of the Earth from the sun (80 AUs), while Sedna is at 76 AU.

Sheppard and fellow researcher Chadwick Trujillo determined that the Oort cloud is likely bigger than the Kuiper Belt and main asteroid belt. And the similarity in the orbits of Sedna, 2012 VP113 and a few other objects out there suggests that a massive planet may be shepherding them. Sheppard and Trujillo suggest a super Earth or an even larger object at hundreds of AU could create the shepherding effect seen in the orbits of these objects, which are too distant to be pulled on significantly by any of the known planets.

"Some of these inner Oort cloud objects could rival the size of Mars or even Earth," said Sheppard. "This is because many of the inner Oort cloud objects are so distant that even very large ones would be too faint to detect with current technology."

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014...to-new-discovery-redefines-solar-system-edge/

It's a temporary designation. Eris was formerly named Xena, which did not match the naming convention and was changed. This one will probably be renamed as well.

Nope.

Also, it's not really necessary for there to be a 10 Earth Mass object sitting out there - 2012VP113 could be a captured rogue exoplanet or have suffered orbital perturbation during the early stages of the evolution of the Solar System.

This looks like another Quaoar to me. Except Quaoar isn't so tiny and in a rubbish orbit.

Having just discovered it it seems a bit early to be designating it a Dwarf Planet. Has it been officially classified as such? Or are they just saying that to get people's attention?

You know what I mean.
It's sentiment of that ilk that saw the Solar System have 9 planets for 70 years.

It's not a planet like a snowmobile isn't a car, so don't call it one.

What ever happened to the term "planetoid?" Bigger than an asteroid, but not a planet.

What ever happened to the term "planetoid?" Bigger than an asteroid, but not a planet.

From Wiki:

A minor planet is an astronomical object in direct orbit around the Sun that is neither a planet nor originally classified as a comet. Minor planets can be dwarf planets, asteroids, trojans, centaurs, Kuiper beltobjects, and other trans-Neptunian objects.[1] The orbits of 620,000 minor planets were archived at the Minor Planet Center by 2013.[2] The first minor planet to be discovered was Ceres in 1801, though it was considered to be a planet for fifty years.

The term "minor planet" has been used since the 19th century to describe these objects.[3] The term planetoid has also been used, especially for larger (planetary) objects such as those the International Astronomical Union (IAU) has since 2006 called dwarf planets.[4][5] Historically, the terms asteroid, minor planet, and planetoid have been more or less synonymous,[4][6] but the issue has been complicated by the discovery of numerous minor planets beyond the orbit of Jupiter and especially Neptune that are not universally considered asteroids.[6] Minor planets seen outgassing may receive a dual classification as a comet.

I was told there are 9 planets by teachers, Astronomers, TV programs and books. What do I think now? There are 8 planets. :)

People like to root for the little guy.
Normally I do too but things like planet definitions are pretty clearly defined these days.

On a more serious note the general quantity of "Pluto is still a planet" types seem to have learned little beyond what they read in their school textbooks...

Not many people know this but Pluto suffered from a severe case of inferiority complex ever since it got adopted by the planet-family in 1930.

Now, Pluto is happy and back together with his family. He's also the newly crowned King of the Kuiper belt.

images

Last edited:
Not many people know this but Pluto suffered from a severe case of inferiority complex ever since it got adopted by the planet-family in 1930.

Now, Pluto is happy and back together with his family. He's also the newly crowned King of the Kuiper belt.

Makemake and Haumea will join forces and thus take down the king of no mans land! No but seriously who cares...and if you do care convince me...

Makemake and Haumea will join forces and thus take down the king of no mans land! No but seriously who cares...and if you do care convince me...

The ongoing discovery of dwarf planets in the outer solar system, and the suspicion of gigantic rogue planets still at large, challenges our assumptions of the composition, formation and destiny of the solar system. Throw in the discovery of asteroids with two rings and objects with on-again off-again tails, and it's almost enough to make an astronomer feel downright humble.

The ongoing discovery of dwarf planets in the outer solar system, and the suspicion of gigantic rogue planets still at large, challenges our assumptions of the composition, formation and destiny of the solar system. Throw in the discovery of asteroids with two rings and objects with on-again off-again tails, and it's almost enough to make an astronomer feel downright humble.

I'm fine with the outer rogue planets, and most massive anomalies that happen in the Cosmos it's what interest me to learn. What I don't care for is the normal situations you find in the Kuiper belt like dwarf planets and remnants. The Asteroid with two rings is also wonderful and great and another reason I love learning about the cosmos.

However, I should stress to you that what I was saying is who cares about the Kuiper belt dwarfs...

not the entire cosmos, I think you've misconstrued my post in reply the vegard

Back