Planet Earth

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joey D
  • 21 comments
  • 4,386 views

Joey D

Premium
Messages
48,065
United States
Lakes of the North, MI
Messages
GTP_Joey
Messages
GTP Joey
Has anyone been watching this mini-series on the Discovery Channel? I believe it's on the BBC as well.

I can honestly say it's one of the coolest series I've seen, the footage they captured is just amazing, especially in HD. They show everything from animals to rock formations, anything you wanted to know about what goes on on the Earth this series is probably going to tell you. If you haven't seen it I strongly recommend checking it out especially if you have an HDTV, it's on Sunday nights 8-10 and they replay it through the week on the Discovery Channel and on the Science Channel.
 
I saw the part about the Pit of Swallows in Mexico. It was fantastic and I want to buy the DVDs. David Attenborough did the dialogue on the original, which really makes the programme complete. Did they dub the dialogue on the North American version with a North American accent? I hope not.
 
Some chick does the dialog for the American version.
 
Some chick does the dialog for the American version.

Some chick? Sigourney Weaver, hello!

It's kind of ironic that the star of Alien narrates Planet Earth. :lol:
 
Ah, too bad. No BBC nature documentary is complete without Attenborough at the helm.
 
...This program is making me long for my HD cable box that I haven't ordered yet...

Hopefully this sheds some light on what we could lose with the ways in which we are treating the Earth. Nine times out of then, I'm not a tree-hugging hippie, but this kinda makes you change your mind a bit...

(and no, I'm still not ever going to buy a Prius)
 
I'm enjoying the series. Not all is filmed in HD. Some was shot in standard def, then converted to HD. Doesn't look great but when they have some shots of action filmed in HD, it looks fantastic.

That snow leopard chase was pretty awesome. I could watch stuff like that all day long.

The "mating dance" of the male Gobi Desert Bactrian camel is hilarious. Smacking their butthole with their tale while dragging their hind-end and remaining stiffed legged was too funny not to laugh.
 
Truly awesome series. I'm constantly floored by the footage. Over and over I find myself saying "is that real?" or "I've never seen that before" or even "I had no idea there was an animal that looked like that on this planet".

Highlights of the show for me so far:
The Great White catching a seal
Orbital time lapse of Antarctica
Time lapse of Monsoon formation
Lions catching an elephant at night
Tibetan snow leopard hunt
Whale Shark with a school of fish
Bioluminescent squid
Polar bears awakening after winter
Basically all of the time lapse shots

I'm sure I forgot something. I'm probably going to have to buy this series at some point. Maybe multiple times because I already plan to gift it.
 
Some chick? Sigourney Weaver, hello!

It's kind of ironic that the star of Alien narrates Planet Earth. :lol:

Me =

fail.jpg
 
My sister told me about it. I saw it and I didn't get what the big deal was but now that you guys mentioned HD and that I don't have HD maybe that what I'm missing. :dopey:
 
2 and a half years of making iirc, I liked the bit on the Birds of Paradise, took enough filming time for the cameraman!

David Attenborough is brilliant, one of the best on TV.
 
The bits on the Great Whites was awesome, the series itself is very, very good in general.
 
Watched some new episodes this morning. There was one animal that just completely blew me away. This animal is spectacular and gorgeous! I'd love the chance to hunt one of these.

Tibetan Fox FTW!

tibetan-1.jpg



Found video of it!


 
It looks like it's from the mafia.

"Hey Joey, I've got a big rodent for ya"
 
Ironically, I considered purchasing the DVD series today whilst in a BBC store, but it was hard to part with the money when there was a $100 thesis on Ferrari history to be adored aside it.

Oh, and that fox has the biggest head I've ever seen...
 
I just got the complete set on Blu-Ray. It's totally amazing so far. Almost 600 minutes of footage.

The only thing I have to complain about is the fact that the DVD set got all the behind the scenes stuff and commentary, and my ps3 isn't transmitting dolby digital on it. Pro-logic gets the job done, but I wish it was true digital.
 
I just got the complete set on Blu-Ray. It's totally amazing so far. Almost 600 minutes of footage.

The only thing I have to complain about is the fact that the DVD set got all the behind the scenes stuff and commentary, and my ps3 isn't transmitting dolby digital on it. Pro-logic gets the job done, but I wish it was true digital.

Is your PS3 set up properly? No option on the Blu-ray for Dolby Digital?

That sucks.
 
There was a thread on this already, but nevermind ;)

I got the DVD's at Xmas and love them, and wholeheartedly recommend them to anybody.

I was very disappointed that Planet Earth did not win the BAFTA award in the 'Specialist Factual' category (winners here) or the Pioneer Audience Award (although I didn't expect it would win that for some reason...)

Still, Planet Earth is groundbreaking in many ways, not least the fact that it is filmed entirely in High Definition, but also for the sheer extremes the camera crews had to go to in order to capture the shots that they captured.

Essential viewing 👍
 
I bought the boxset as a gift for someone but I actually kept them. I really liked the part with all the cockroaches in the cave. The part with the crystals in the cave is also amazing. I can't remember what their called now.

It's an easy to watch collection aswell. I usually put them on before I go to bed because for some reason it seems to help me relax.
 
Is your PS3 set up properly? No option on the Blu-ray for Dolby Digital?

That sucks.

The box advertises Dolby Digital, but all I'm getting is Pro Logic II. There are only on-disc options for subtitles.

You don't think that it's encoded in that TrueHD format, do you? Perhaps my hardware can't accommodate it?
 
The box advertises Dolby Digital, but all I'm getting is Pro Logic II. There are only on-disc options for subtitles.

You don't think that it's encoded in that TrueHD format, do you? Perhaps my hardware can't accommodate it?

You're using either an optical or coaxial digital connection, correct?
 
Back