- 12,396

- Marin County
I recently drove a rented Honda Odyssey (black edition) with 6 people from Toronto to Montreal. It was fantastic, one of the best long-distance cars I've ever experienced. Ultra comfortable, quiet, and effortless for everyone including the third row and yet shockingly entertaining to drive. It made me think - what if Acura did a version of this car with the 3.0L TT V6 from the MDX/TLX (RIP) Type S with SH-AWD* and the more premium Acura interior. It would be perhaps the best people-carriers the industry has ever known, and all of the parts are right there. It could be done.
*Admittedly, the SH-AWD system could likely not go straight into the Odyssey platform as the rear suspension design is different and I'm not sure there is a driveshaft tunnel, but I maintain it's plausible.
So that got me thinking, what are some OTHER plausible mashups that could be done using compatible platforms/engines/drivetrains to make cool/interesting products that don't exist. This could be historical, but lets try to keep the level of plausibility high rather than pure fantasy.
For instance, the NC-generation MX-5 and the RX-8 shared a platform and the 2.0L, 2.5L, and 2.3L-T MZR engines were basically the same apart from the block. Without significant engineering hurdles, Mazda could have built an MX-8 with the 260hp 2.3L turbo MZR from the Mazdaspeed 3. Equally, they could have built an RX-5 with the 13B Renesis engine as a rotary roadster. The funny thing is that I think both hypothetical cars might have been better/more interesting than what Mazda actually sold us. (From what the aftermarket/tuning community has done a 2.5L turbo MZR engine with 300hp would have also been pretty plausible).
*Admittedly, the SH-AWD system could likely not go straight into the Odyssey platform as the rear suspension design is different and I'm not sure there is a driveshaft tunnel, but I maintain it's plausible.
So that got me thinking, what are some OTHER plausible mashups that could be done using compatible platforms/engines/drivetrains to make cool/interesting products that don't exist. This could be historical, but lets try to keep the level of plausibility high rather than pure fantasy.
For instance, the NC-generation MX-5 and the RX-8 shared a platform and the 2.0L, 2.5L, and 2.3L-T MZR engines were basically the same apart from the block. Without significant engineering hurdles, Mazda could have built an MX-8 with the 260hp 2.3L turbo MZR from the Mazdaspeed 3. Equally, they could have built an RX-5 with the 13B Renesis engine as a rotary roadster. The funny thing is that I think both hypothetical cars might have been better/more interesting than what Mazda actually sold us. (From what the aftermarket/tuning community has done a 2.5L turbo MZR engine with 300hp would have also been pretty plausible).