Played gt1 today

well today I fired up the old PS2 mini, which I hadn't done in awhile and popped in one of my favorite games GRAN TURISMO 1.
this game is an instant classic, and on top of the graphics being good, the music is the best in the series(you can be mad at me for that but the car maker music for each company is AMAZING) and i'm back into playing it. I bought an RX-7 GTX and have done quite a bit of the game in one day. I even tried drifting.
MY GOD.
it's actually quite hard to hold a nice drift in that game, from this I was shocked, i thought it would be really easy. I mean, getting the car to drift is easy but I couldnt get the thing all the way around well in special stage.
does anyone prefer the older games to the newer ones?
this is the main question.

Right now I'm more into the newer one...not GT4 but GT3. I just started playing 2 or 3 weeks ago so it's new to me!

Last edited:
I've played it a couple of years ago, and I've moved on. Won't play it again however to keep the memories unspoilt... sniff...

De Bolle
I've played it a couple of years ago, and I've moved on. Won't play it again however to keep the memories unspoilt... sniff...

Ive played Gt2 - 4 Have GT2 on PS, then on Bleemcast now I can it on my PS2, although I havent yet. I might have to pick up GT1 to see what its like.

Unfortunately, I think the menu music has gotten worse as the series progressed. It's still pretty good, but the original was great, and I loved the individual manufacturers' music.

arsenal
Unfortunately, I think the menu music has gotten worse as the series progressed. It's still pretty good, but the original was great, and I loved the individual manufacturers' music.

Agreed. I also like the Chemical Bros. remake for the intro better than other intros.

Another thing about GT1/2... The AI. If you think the AI in GT3/4 is bad, go play the PS1 versions. :) Shortly before GT4 came out, I went back and polished off GT1/2, and I was yelling at the stupid AI, something I rarely did while playing GT3. Cussing at them, yes, but not yelling at them or throwing the controller at them.

Jedi2016
Another thing about GT1/2... The AI. If you think the AI in GT3/4 is bad, go play the PS1 versions. :) Shortly before GT4 came out, I went back and polished off GT1/2, and I was yelling at the stupid AI, something I rarely did while playing GT3. Cussing at them, yes, but not yelling at them or throwing the controller at them.

GT1/2 being last gen games you would expect the A.I. to be worse. GT4 A.I. is still rubbish though, not a really fair comparisson... :)

I don't think it was neccesarily that the AI is worse, its just that as GT3 runs at 60fps the driving model is more refined, especially compared to GT1 where the cars handle quite erraticly. Therefore you have less time/chance to react to the dumb AI.

In my opinion GT2 still probably has the best AI with GT4 in 2nd. Atleast the AI in GT2 made an effort to avoid you if you stopped in the middle of a very long and open straight.

T5-R
I don't think it was neccesarily that the AI is worse, its just that as GT3 runs at 60fps the driving model is more refined, especially compared to GT1 where the cars handle quite erraticly. Therefore you have less time/chance to react to the dumb AI.

In my opinion GT2 still probably has the best AI with GT4 in 2nd. Atleast the AI in GT2 made an effort to avoid you if you stopped in the middle of a very long and open straight.

Really, I never noticed.

Actually, the Ai in GT2 will totally ram into you if you sit in their programmed little path. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but for the most part they're pretty dumb. There are also plenty of times where they'll eschew the best racing line thru corners just to ram you from the inside. It's funny when you get to know how they operate...makes for some stellar moments in replays. What I like to do is (during the replay) put the camera on inside their cockpit so I can watch myself outbrake them from ahead as they try and ram into me! Hopefully in GT5 they'll have smarter drivers (especially since there's only 5 other cars + you).

Last edited:
Back