Players slightly improved!? Penalties still a joke!

  • Thread starter Thread starter nuu1212
  • 24 comments
  • 1,688 views

nuu1212

(Banned)
Messages
282
Germany
Germany
Hi, back after 6 months of absence from GTS.
I had quit because my SR dropped from S to E in one day. Could not take it anymore.

Now, driving around in SR E/D/C I find that players seem to be a little more careful than I was used to.
Anyone else noticed this?

But still the most annoying thing: If you get hit from behind => automatic SR- rating! Such a joke!!!

HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO FIX SUCH A SIMPLE ISSUE???
 
The logic is, that the ones who are hitting people from behind are doing that frequently, so as a result they will lose rating and be degraded to lower class. You will short term reduce your score too, but long term the effect will be minimal.

If you are getting hit from behind frequently, then maybe the problem is elsewhere.
 
Hi, back after 6 months of absence from GTS.
I had quit because my SR dropped from S to E in one day. Could not take it anymore.

Now, driving around in SR E/D/C I find that players seem to be a little more careful than I was used to.
Anyone else noticed this?

But still the most annoying thing: If you get hit from behind => automatic SR- rating! Such a joke!!!

HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO FIX SUCH A SIMPLE ISSUE???
I don't know, maybe you should apply for a job at PD and sort it out;).
 
The penality for "tapping" from behind is relatively new actually. You might lose .5 to 1 SR point for each tap, the driver doing the tapping loses more, but each tap may not count.

Also, just getting hit from behind won't automatically lower your rating. I've been hit plenty and still came out positive on the ranking page after the race.

Maybe you should adjust your driving style?
 
I just got bumped from behind entering the final chicane on Nurburgring gp. I cut the track and emerged still ahead with no penalty.
I’ve been tapped from behind a few times in the last 2 weeks no penalties though.
***shrug***
 
I just got bumped from behind entering the final chicane on Nurburgring gp. I cut the track and emerged still ahead with no penalty.
I’ve been tapped from behind a few times in the last 2 weeks no penalties though.
***shrug***
In my experience, the game is actually very good at recognizing when you’ve been given a light to medium punt going into a sharp corner, and not punishing you if you go off track/cut a corner a bit as a result.

I took a hit at the Fuji race C last week, went way wide into the run off area as a result, and was actually given a “clean race” at the end. (Left me quite puzzled)

I definitely get people’s complaints with the penalty system. It’s screwed me over a couple times. But honestly, I feel like it’s pretty good about, eh, 95% of the time.

If I get a penalty, I almost always agree with it, even if I’m angry at first for it screwing up my race.

Considering that in the last game, PD had trouble getting the finish logic of endurance races correct, I would’ve never guessed that we would have a working flag system, well-executed Sport mode, FIA races, fuel maps for strategy, and a driver rating system/penalty system that seems to work as well as it does.

Again, not perfect, not trying to make excuses for said imperfections in the system. But for years, PD was lacking behind their competition in pretty much everything but graphical capabilities.

Now, GT makes Forza’s online racing, micro transactions, and poorly executed weather/day-night (despite not having it in GTSport) look like a joke.

(On that last note, I have many theories as to why day night + weather is not in GTSport yet, but the short story is that I feel PD wants/needs to execute it correctly for the FIA races. Simply having it be a grip reduction system like it mainly is in Forza wouldn’t work. It would have to work with rain tires, the track would have to dry in a very realistic way, etc. And i’m not sure if the regular PS4 could handle that).
 
If you are getting hit from behind frequently, then maybe the problem is elsewhere.

Maybe you should adjust your driving style?

Before calling BS, I want to politely ask, what those comments might mean.
I got hit about 10 times at Nurb Corner 1 yesterday. Do I have to anticipate that some guys just cannot brake in time?

The penality for "tapping" from behind is relatively new actually. You might lose .5 to 1 SR point for each tap, the driver doing the tapping loses more, but each tap may not count.
Why does the one getting tapped/hit lose SR at all? I am braking into a corner, how is that unsafe?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Why does the one getting tapped/hit lose SR at all? I am braking into a corner, how is that unsafe?
Its in place to discourage people from intentionally brake-checking somebody close behind and giving them a big penalty with no consequences for the offender.

As said above, the idea is that dirty drivers who punt people, will do it consistently, and if you’re the one getting hit while braking, it should be a rare enough occurrence that it shouldn’t affect you much.

As long as you aren’t intentionally brake checking people, or braking WAY too early, or going full 2016 Max Verstappen and moving across every imaginable racing line in the braking zones, then the SR loss on your end should be minimal and not cause you to lose any points by the end of the race.
 
I know how you feel quiting the game for 6 months man.
This game is awesome with good racers, but with scrubs it’s so frustrating.
I only recently got back to it last month after quiting in February. Nothing but scrubs back then
Also to these type of people passive-aggressively saying
>”lol you just suck bro”
These drivers that he’s talking about have less common sense when it comes to the road than a 15 year old who just started reading the drivers instructions handbook
Also before you passive aggresively insult me, I’ve raced in a lobby with Kinlm up here with max sr, so ya know. No problems here
 
Last edited:
TTM
I know how you feel quiting the game for 6 months man.
This game is awesome with good racers, but with scrubs it’s so frustrating.
You suck big-time :lol:
Seriously, thx for the comment.
But it's not the scrubs directly, I don't mind contact racing. It is also in a large part due to the overly strict penalty/SR system.
 
Not strict enough :D.
I am OK with penalties, and they should maybe be stricter,
but the SR rating should be a little smoother, i.e. including past results, so it is impossible to drop to E within a (bad) day.
 
I got hit about 10 times at Nurb Corner 1 yesterday. Do I have to anticipate that some guys just cannot brake in time?
After being hit 10 times, I hope you learned not to drive in that (ideal) line, but move away. If they are braking too late, they will go too wide anyway and you will be faster.
 
I am the same as you, I haven’t played GTS for a while… since the release of the W08, been hooked on F1 but the online there is terrible (if you think you get no respect in GTS then you have no idea!) so I have come crawling back!



Looking forward to Interlagos tonight, not looking forward to the huge bulk of penalties that will likely come with it LOL
 
After being hit 10 times, I hope you learned not to drive in that (ideal) line, but move away. If they are braking too late, they will go too wide anyway and you will be faster.
I refuse to learn!

Looking forward to Interlagos tonight, not looking forward to the huge bulk of penalties that will likely come with it LOL
Welcome back. I like Suzuka today. Have no problems with that track as I brake extremely late into Turn 1.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
After being hit 10 times, I hope you learned not to drive in that (ideal) line, but move away. If they are braking too late, they will go too wide anyway and you will be faster.

As being the LEADING driver going into a corner you should not need to have to adjust your racing line to keep from getting hit or knocked off the track from a car approaching from behind.

It is the car attempting the overtake responsibility that needs to avoid contacting the leading car in front in of them.

I get so tired of people thinking that racing consist of needing to use the mirrors and get out of the way of a racer wanting to take a position. If the overtaking driver cannot take the position cleanly then they should not attempt the overtake and if they do anyway the penalty system needs to punish them for their overly aggressive or improper driving.

Until the penalty system makes such driving to never gain an advantage for driving overly aggressive with contact then the behavior will continue.

Hopefully the new penalty zones will cost players as far as in on track positions and places for penalties and eliminate the using contact or corner cutting track limits to gain time or spots as now the penalty will be applied within a lap and on a straight stretch costing time where in the past the penalty in many cases could be scrubbed off with basically no cost to race pace or position.

Before things will get better the mindset is a penalty is to be avoided if at all possible needs to be the norm. Right now I can bump this car out of the way, gain the position and scrub off the penalty before race end so I move up in my position by using a move that gets me a penalty.

But at the end of the day racing is not being done properly by ceding an ideal racing line to keep from getting punted off the track by a driver running behind you and accepting that as being the correct move is giving in to those not racing by normal racing rules.
 
The best advice I can give is to play with better drivers. The fastest way (that I know of) to up your SR is to drive with no penality in the FIA races on Wednesdays and Saturdays. You can go from an E to a B with ONE race.

And from there just avoid being close to anyone. If someone's driving too aggressive in the rear, just let them pass. Turn 1 on the Nurb GP is notorious, and what I used to do was just go way to the side, let everyone crash, and zip past before they recover ghosting.

Continue doing that until your in SR A and I can guarantee the driving around others will improve immensely.
 
Last edited:
How is that possible?

Awhile back at NurbGP I dropped something like 20-25 SR in one race. Just a few of those races back to back and your SR is toast. My one and only DR reset was when I refused to quit racing that track that day, and kept getting knocked around by pretty much everyone in the race. Some of it was my fault of course, but it just seemed like I couldn't catch a break, even when I raced clean disaster was happening all around me. The lower my SR went the more difficult it was to gain it back because of the quality of drivers. It's tough to do, but I see how it's possible.
 
What are you racing for? The win, or to improve your SR/DR?

If your SR/DR is important, try a few races where, if leading a fairly aggressive pack, move to the outside line well before the corner, and brake a bit early. Then watch as the numpties plow into each other, force each other wide or off, and take the inside line, late apex out.

It will soon become apparent (if they all get through the corner cleanly) that you are braking too early on the racing line. If they overshoot, you are doing just fine..!

Defensive driving early in the race often pays off at the end...
 
As being the LEADING driver going into a corner you should not need to have to adjust your racing line to keep from getting hit or knocked off the track from a car approaching from behind.

It is the car attempting the overtake responsibility that needs to avoid contacting the leading car in front in of them.

I get so tired of people thinking that racing consist of needing to use the mirrors and get out of the way of a racer wanting to take a position. If the overtaking driver cannot take the position cleanly then they should not attempt the overtake and if they do anyway the penalty system needs to punish them for their overly aggressive or improper driving.

Until the penalty system makes such driving to never gain an advantage for driving overly aggressive with contact then the behavior will continue.

Hopefully the new penalty zones will cost players as far as in on track positions and places for penalties and eliminate the using contact or corner cutting track limits to gain time or spots as now the penalty will be applied within a lap and on a straight stretch costing time where in the past the penalty in many cases could be scrubbed off with basically no cost to race pace or position.

Before things will get better the mindset is a penalty is to be avoided if at all possible needs to be the norm. Right now I can bump this car out of the way, gain the position and scrub off the penalty before race end so I move up in my position by using a move that gets me a penalty.

But at the end of the day racing is not being done properly by ceding an ideal racing line to keep from getting punted off the track by a driver running behind you and accepting that as being the correct move is giving in to those not racing by normal racing rules.
That is a nice story and I couldn't be happier, if it could be made true. However, let's be honest here. We are talking about mainstream AAA game where majority of players have no knowledge of proper racing behaviour and are also not interested to gain it. The only change that you can make is to adjust your behaviour, since you know exactly what you can expect. It's useless to complain and try to change the world because you will never succeed.
 
OTOH, there's a strong case made for racing rules that were prevalent in clean leagues long before PD and the player base decided automated stewarding could achieve a decent emulation of the sport (and the jury is still out on whether it works!)...

Basically, in most 'clean or kick' rooms in GT5/6 and SNAIL AND WRS, all contact from the rear was considered the trailing car's fault. Unless hit into the car (by a contact from the car behind the trailing car, in which case, not his/her fault), or the car in front spins (a major loss of control, not a minor tail wag). But there was no timed penalty...

Basically, only if contact from behind gained a place for the trailing car was it penalized, and only by returning the position. No matter how long that took (in the case of contact forcing a player off track, into a spin, etc.).

That one basic rule resulted in the cleanest racing yet to be seen on GTS.

Sure, there was the occasional brake checker (quickly booted under review) but few and far between. And contact in a corner that forced the leading car 4 off track, return position.

It's basically that... return position, not timed penalties, that takes away the incentive to pass dirty.

And it's already implemented to a degree in PC2, so technically possible. IMHO, that basic penalty changes the game completely.
 
That is a nice story and I couldn't be happier, if it could be made true. However, let's be honest here. We are talking about mainstream AAA game where majority of players have no knowledge of proper racing behaviour and are also not interested to gain it. The only change that you can make is to adjust your behaviour, since you know exactly what you can expect. It's useless to complain and try to change the world because you will never succeed.

The exact reason that along with a penalty system you also have a ranking system and in this case the SR system is that of how clean and contact free you race and how well you can control your car and keep it on the track at race pace under race conditions.

Those that have no knowledge and no interest in gaining it will be held into a ranking racing those of a like mindset. But first higher ranking levels need to be earned and to advance to say an SR S ranking allows few mistakes to gain and maintain that level.

If you are demoted then there should be a minimum number of races that must be completed at the lower demoted level before you can be considered to advance to the top levels again. Each time a player is demoted it should be cumulative and the criteria to regain the higher level should require a harder path to advance yet again.

It can be done, the systems have to work as intended and the ranking levels as they get higher should be less tolerant of mistakes or overly aggressive moves that result in crashing other drivers, forcing your way past through using contact or exploiting track limits.

After all just like a top level A+ DR ranking means this player is one of the fastest in the game pace wise the SR S ranking should also mean this racer knows and understands the rules and races within allowable limits for the ranking.

This game can be for all, just all should not be racing in the higher SR ranking slots.

Maybe a lower SR ranking player should know what you can expect and change their racing line because of it but at the highest levels that should not even be an issue.
 
Post update they are still garbage. Just got a 5 for getting hit in the front left by a car going sideways just after t4 interlagos.
P.s sorry about the photos, i havent worked out how to upload the screenshots
 

Attachments

  • 20181106_170749.jpg
    20181106_170749.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20181106_170706.jpg
    20181106_170706.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20181106_170808.jpg
    20181106_170808.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 21
Back