Playing nice with the other children.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zychon
  • 14 comments
  • 1,480 views
Messages
35
Messages
Zychon
I am at best a mediocre player, and I'm as new to online as everyone else is, but here are a few observations and personal rules of conduct I have settled upon from the first week of GT5 online:

-Join or host games with the racing line disabled and with full realism settings. The driver assist features make people overconfident, and everyone gets target fixated on the pretty blue line. The line is nice to help you learn tracks, after that it is best set to off. Besides, playing GT with the line on isn't racing, it's Guitar Hero with steering. Whether it's enabled or not, in congested corners the racing line simply doesn't exist. Even if you think you have the right-of-way, assuming everyone else agrees will probably end in tears.

-Don't race high HP in pub rooms, or if you do so, just enjoy it for what it is. There is no minimum HP setting and the host usually isn't savvy enough to put the weight or model restrictions on as well, so you get massive straight run behemoths, little corner slicers, and million dollar GT1 cars playing in the same sandbox. Just have fun racing the cars in the same class as you and expect to have obstructions. I prefer the low HP tuning races, because everyone is pretty close with HP/kg, and everyone can afford one.

-If time permits, I prefer higher lap races over lower, especially on short tracks. In 2-4 lap races everyone is in a rush and-hold ups and collisions are more costly. Longer races reward the better drivers, and weed out the griefers and squids. ...at least until you lap them.

-If I make a mistake, it's my burden to bear. I don't come off the track and then jump right back on into traffic. It's totally unrealistic (no one would put their life on the line like that), but for me it's really just about respect. You F'ed up ...so suck it up and don't be greedy. You're just going to get hit and go off again anyhow. By the same token: if you spot trouble ahead, don't expect to swish through on your primo line and then act like the offended party when it doesn't work out.

-In congestion, race with the 3rd person cam or pay attention to your mirrors. Whether you're the trailing/overtaking car or the leading car, there is limited real estate in the corners. It's usually unintentional, but -like the inside rammer in reverse-, you have the guy trying to apex a corner who can't see the car alongside him and going:

*thunk* "Dude bra ...my car won't turn what the hell?!" *thunk-thunk*

-The more people racing, the cagier you should drive (especially on tight tracks and most especially at the first low speed corner). Hang back and let 'em have the whole track, you'll need the gap to clear all the carnage.

-If someone is trailing you and on your inside when entering a wide corner, don't try for the apex. It doesn’t matter if you were out in front; it's your own fault if you get hit. If I'm stacked with someone entering a wide corner, I keep to my lane unless I'm extremely confident I can do otherwise. Neither of us can hit the apex so it usually winds up a draw. Of course you have to trust the other guy to do the same, but thems the breaks. If you think someone's going to try to late-brake past you, sacrifice the pretty cornering and establish yourself on the inside early.

-By all means crowd the line if someone is gaining on you in a close race, but if it is apparent you are out classed, let them by. You aren't proving anything by blocking a McLaren with your Volvo.

-Relax, and realize people screw up. It's funny how in a collision it's always the other guys fault.
 
Last edited:
Great post, lets hope our community at least reads this...
 
I am at best a mediocre player, and I'm as new to online as everyone else is

You sir, judging by the quality of content in your post, seem to be very well seasoned player and mature online racer.

Excellent read 👍
 
Great post. I just came from my first online race. It was Nurburgring, at night. In the free run, I noticed I was the only one I saw not in a race car or Lamborghini. I had an NSX with no assists. When I saw someone coming up behind me, I pulled over to let them go.

Then the race started. In short, I shouldn't complain about the AI ever again.
 
Can the racing line assist be turned on for an online race?
 
I think the host can turn the race line to "off" once the room has been created. Nice post there OP. Wish more racers had your perspective.
 
Great post! Just in time for me. I spent all last night just gaining credits and completing more challenges, tonight, I wanna have some online fun for the first time!
 
-By all means crowd the line if someone is gaining on you in a close race, but if it is apparent you are out classed, let them by. You aren't proving anything by blocking a McLaren with your Volvo.

This is something that I've had a problem with time and time again. People refuse to give up their position because their car is simply being outdragged on a straight, so they just go, "SCREW IT, IF YOU'RE GONNA PASS, I'M TAKING YOU DOWN WITH ME" :grumpy:

*sudden turn right into my car*

And then I end up trying to play catch-up with everyone else, which ends up with me not even finishing the race.
 
You forgot Manners, If you accidentaly bump someone off the track by rear ending them you should pull over and let them get back in position,(atleast ahead of you) also make sure your not in the way of other drivers when you pull over...(Duh XD)
 
-If someone is trailing you and on your inside when entering a wide corner, don't try for the apex. It doesn’t matter if you were out in front; it's your own fault if you get hit. If I'm stacked with someone entering a wide corner, I keep to my lane unless I'm extremely confident I can do otherwise. Neither of us can hit the apex so it usually winds up a draw. Of course you have to trust the other guy to do the same, but thems the breaks. If you think someone's going to try to late-brake past you, sacrifice the pretty cornering and establish yourself on the inside early.
This, it's like the wild west into the first corner and beyond. I don't mind a little rubbing, but with all online games, you need to assume the worst first and then go with it. It's great getting into a race and having players respect each other and not just go for the bumper at every corner, but it happens far too often. Still, racing online is pretty cool. Can't wait to get into some leagues.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It is these types of complaints (and the OP is being very reasonable) that push the more serious drivers into private rooms with people they are accustomed to racing with.
 
Theres only a few problems with your post..


#1: Online ages vary
#2: It is a videogame
#3: There is no consequence of perma-death, which means many of someone's instincts now have to become mental choices, of which people will not want to apply because of #2.


I, however, try to run as clean as possible, but it isn't always easy with a flat 2D monitor and a loss of all peripheral vision as in real life. So sometimes i will gently kiss the driver in front of me.

As long as everyone is "TRYING" to race as clean as possible, then its fun. So far the online has only been fun for me. I haven't been in a room where everyone was driving like idiots. This may change Post-Christmas. lol.
 
Great post, I myself am a moderatly good racer. I am completly new to online racing though and unfortunatly have had to deal with a fair few idiots already. Just last night a complete knob in a motul Civic decided to just keep slowing down a reversing towards me in my Evo..... Then I decided to teach them a thing or two on the track during a race they just pulled up behind me and shoved me into the grave trapl at Autumn Rings first turn, then they have the swagger to say they are a better driver then me.....and that they "always" win......
 
Back