Playing via HDMI-outPC 

• Thread starter ALB123
  • 15 comments
United States
Massachusetts
I'm going to be buying a new laptop in a day or two. I'm still deciding between two different model's. They're both MSI laptops - high-end setups. One has a GeForce GTX 980M (4GB) and the other laptop has two GeForce GTX 965M (8GB total) cards. Either way, I'm looking to get into pCars & Assetto Corsa and I was wondering how well the games perform when connected to a TV via HDMI-out. Is there considerable lag or anything to worry about?

I'm not a gamer, so I have zero experience with this type of stuff. Gran Turismo 6 is the only game I play and the PS3 is connected to the TV, of course.

Should be the same as any other HDMI to TV connection. The lag would depend on the TV. Shouldn't be an issue.

I've got my main PC hooked up to my TV via HDMI via my AV receiver. As long as you minimize latency on the TV (game mode, disable PP/scaling, etc.) you should be okay, provided the TV has decent input lag. It will always be higher than the native screen or a monitor, but if you're not experiencing any issues now with games like GT6, you should be fine.

Shouldn't be an issue in my humble opinion. I have my PS3 and PC connected to the TV via a HDMI switch so whichever is turned on automagically connects to the TV. Works well.

If I may pop in here with a non-pCARS query, but still HDMI related? I recently upgraded my pc with a gfx card that has HDMI output

I fancy playing my old sims (GT Legends, GTR2, rFactor, Race 07) on my bigger console gaming tv. If I simply plug the pc tower into the tv via HDMI, will it auto detect or will I have to go into control panel and set something

DVI will be absent in this scenario

Thanks in advance 👍

RP, you will probably need to tell the TV which HDMI input to use if it has more than one. The PC will probably auto detect if the HDMI is used instead of the current monitor. On my setup I have the 21" monitor and the TV connected so I had to reconfigure the display properties to use both displays. Not rocket science and should be okay if you already know about control panel. Cheers

RP, you will probably need to tell the TV which HDMI input to use if it has more than one. The PC will probably auto detect if the HDMI is used instead of the current monitor. On my setup I have the 21" monitor and the TV connected so I had to reconfigure the display properties to use both displays. Not rocket science and should be okay if you already know about control panel. Cheers
Thanks 👍

I have a spare HDMI on the tv and was well used to switching between them before my 360 died :(

I won't be using another display, so hopefully plug-and-play

Looking forward to trying it, most likely later today :D

Keep in mind that you should also direct your audio stream to the TV if you want to hear it from it. Right click on the volume icon next to the clock, playback devices and there you should see the TV. Right click and set it as default.

If you have a fairly recent HDTV, then there should be a HDMI port labeled as (HDMI(DVI)). It has taken the place of the older VGA and DVI connections for hooking up a PC/Laptop to a tv. It should allow the TV to function just as a monitor does, and in conjunction with a possible "gaming" mode. It should be very playable in the sense of potential input lag from the visuals. Some older sets also have this HDMI port on, but they would not allow supply the audio. But there was usually a separate 3.5mm audio pass through next to it.

Have used HDMI on PS3/PS4 and PC. Running GT5/6 on PS3 Project Cars on PS4 and PC.
I have started to run my PC via HDMI into my AV receiver. I utilize the HDTV's "GAME" mode on my HDTV.
Never had a lagging issue. By that I mean other players on-line have never told me I was "lagging".

Also, all my network connections for gaming are hard (CAT5) wired, never wireless.

This is all so good to hear. I just put through my order for my new laptop. I custom configured an MSI GT80 Titan-094 and it definitely has the horsepower to run the game. My only concern was the TV. I mean, I know I can connect to the TV. I already have a desktop system that is ONLY connected to one of my TV's and functions as a HTPC. My concern was if there was some type of input lag while gaming that I might have been unaware of. My TV is kind of old, a 2008 Sony, but it has several HDMI ports and a gaming mode. Someday I'll have a racing rig with triple monitors, I hope! :lol: Thanks for all the responses!!

Have used HDMI on PS3/PS4 and PC. Running GT5/6 on PS3 Project Cars on PS4 and PC.
I have started to run my PC via HDMI into my AV receiver. I utilize the HDTV's "GAME" mode on my HDTV.
Never had a lagging issue. By that I mean other players on-line have never told me I was "lagging".

Also, all my network connections for gaming are hard (CAT5) wired, never wireless.
The lag been discussed in here is not network lag, but screen response lag over HDMI.

On a decent monitor, the response time can be as low as 1ms. A normal monitor is usually around 5ms to 8ms. A tv can be anywhere from 5ms all the way up to 40+ms. A lot of it comes from the additional post processing a modern HDTV can do, and those things often need turning off while gaming. Plus the appropriate gaming mode turning on, as this will lower the response times slightly.

The lag been discussed in here is not network lag, but screen response lag over HDMI.

On a decent monitor, the response time can be as low as 1ms. A normal monitor is usually around 5ms to 8ms. A tv can be anywhere from 5ms all the way up to 40+ms. A lot of it comes from the additional post processing a modern HDTV can do, and those things often need turning off while gaming. Plus the appropriate gaming mode turning on, as this will lower the response times slightly.

Yes, video lag is minimal with my setup. Thank you for clarification.
Also plasma HDTV'S are prone to lag. Even with game mode engaged.
A real problem in games like Battlefield too.

I just bought a new plasma, capable of 3D and it actually improves a lot in terms of response time compared to my old Sammy LCD. I played MK9, and various FPS games like Aliens CM, BFBC 2, Uncharted series, MGS 4 and GZ and I had to lower the aiming speed/sensitivity to compensate, Mass Effect was night and day :P. The change immediately apparent when I played GT6 :) A lot better than the old Sammy LCD which was pretty good already ( when I bought it, it was one of the best in response time )

Last edited:
I just bought a new plasma, capable of 3D and it actually improves a lot in terms of response time compared to my old Sammy LCD. I played MK9, and various FPS games like Aliens CM, BFBC 2, Uncharted series, MGS 4 and GZ and I had to lower the aiming speed/sensitivity to compensate, Mass Effect was night and day :P. The change immediately apparent when I played GT6 :) A lot better than the old Sammy LCD which was pretty good already ( when I bought it, it was one of the best in response time )

I think newer plasma displays are better with lag. My set was made in 2013.
I would like to know my numbers. I went from 60 inch Sony XBR rear projection
to 60 inch Samsung plasma. No regrets super picture.

Back