Playseat Challenge Alignment Question

deca_tarce
Deca Tarce
I recently picked up a Playseat Challenge to upgrade from my old home made wheelstand. I've been very impressed with it so far but have a question regarding an issue I'm noticing.

It seems as though the wheelbase sits slightly rotated and angled to the left. When I'm in the seat looking at the wheel, it feels as though the center of it sort of points toward my left shoulder, and also the base itself seems to be rotated somewhat to the left. I spent a fair amount of time messing with the adjustments and seem to have improved it by loosening the right side strap a fair amount more than the left side (still ensuring that neither of them are slack while it sits open).

I tested in multiple locations and different surfaces to make sure the floor wasn't just slightly tilted, and it seemed to be the same everywhere.

This issue doesn't really affect my ability to use the wheel, but it has been bothering me just because this was a refurbished chair and I am still within the return window. I'm mostly wondering if this is a common issue that I would encounter again even if I were to return it and get a brand new one, or if I simply need to adjust the seat further to deal with it. Is it normal to have significantly different lengths between the velcro straps on either side of the chair?

Any input here would be greatly appreciated!

I recently picked up a Playseat Challenge to upgrade from my old home made wheelstand. I've been very impressed with it so far but have a question regarding an issue I'm noticing.

It seems as though the wheelbase sits slightly rotated and angled to the left. When I'm in the seat looking at the wheel, it feels as though the center of it sort of points toward my left shoulder, and also the base itself seems to be rotated somewhat to the left. I spent a fair amount of time messing with the adjustments and seem to have improved it by loosening the right side strap a fair amount more than the left side (still ensuring that neither of them are slack while it sits open).

I tested in multiple locations and different surfaces to make sure the floor wasn't just slightly tilted, and it seemed to be the same everywhere.

This issue doesn't really affect my ability to use the wheel, but it has been bothering me just because this was a refurbished chair and I am still within the return window. I'm mostly wondering if this is a common issue that I would encounter again even if I were to return it and get a brand new one, or if I simply need to adjust the seat further to deal with it. Is it normal to have significantly different lengths between the velcro straps on either side of the chair?

Pictures would help. I have difficulty understanding the problem. I also own a playseat Challenge.

Pictures would help. I have difficulty understanding the problem. I also own a playseat Challenge.

I'll try to get some photos tonight to show the issue, it's unfortunately kind of hard to see until you're in the seat looking straight at it.

I guess it basically feels like the bar that the wheel attaches to leans a bit to the left, and the only way I've been able to address it is to have the right strap (the one with Challenge written across it) set a fair bit longer than the left one.

Pictures would help.

Alright here some pictures to clarify the issue. The first two show the current lengths of the top adjustment straps. The setup currently feels level and centered, but the right strap had to be lengthened considerably relative to the left strap in order to achieve this. The last image shows how the alignment goes off when the straps are equal length. I exaggerated it significantly in the picture, but it's enough to distract me while driving.

As I said, I did manage to set the seat up so that everything feels square and level and it has been great for driving. I just want to be cautious since this was a used item. If this is just sort of how the seat is then I have no issue with it, I just want to make sure it isn't indicative of a larger problem with it or some damage that could become a problem with further use.

playseat left.jpg
playseat right.jpg
t300 alignment.jpg

I checked on my Playseat challenge and the straps are the same length (36cm). But when looking at the red lines on the straps there are 5 lines on the right and 4 lines on the left strap visible. But the wheel is straight.

Alright here some pictures to clarify the issue. The first two show the current lengths of the top adjustment straps. The setup currently feels level and centered, but the right strap had to be lengthened considerably relative to the left strap in order to achieve this. The last image shows how the alignment goes off when the straps are equal length. I exaggerated it significantly in the picture, but it's enough to distract me while driving.

As I said, I did manage to set the seat up so that everything feels square and level and it has been great for driving. I just want to be cautious since this was a used item. If this is just sort of how the seat is then I have no issue with it, I just want to make sure it isn't indicative of a larger problem with it or some damage that could become a problem with further use.

View attachment 867413 View attachment 867414 View attachment 867416
Mine aligns well. Try measuring the length?

Are you sure that the liftbar on the left side is all the way in the socket? It has a spring loaded button that you depress to slide the bar into the socket.

You should look at some pictures online and compare them to your rig to see if you can pinpoint the problem.

I wouldn't advise having one strap any tighter than the other, you'll just end up twisting the frame and putting alot more load on one side of the frame, risking damage and potential failure.

Are you sure the wheelbase plate is attached and tightened properly? Is the left side bar where it pivots to lift engaged properly in the seat frame?

Oh i didn't realise you were still within the returns window. Send it back, this is not normal

Last edited:
The liftbar is properly attached on the left side, that was one of the first things I checked. One thing I have noticed about this part, however, is that I have to push it forward slightly to get it to seat into the right side when lowering it. It's not dramatic, but if you bring it straight down it just barely catches the top of the pipe on the right side and doesn't fall past it.

The wheelbase plate is secure, but I might take another look at it anyway. I had to change its position when mounting my wheel so I do know that it's all tightened up properly at least.

That's a good thought on measuring the actual length of the side straps, I hadn't considered that lengths might differ even if the red lines on the top matched up.

I am kind of thinking it's probably the best idea to get a replacement, it's just a bit annoying coming to that conclusion after routing all the cable and getting my shifter mounted. After looking at the purchase details again, it looks like I may have until some time in February to request a return so I may at least be able to wait until the holiday chaos has calmed down.

Mine just catches when lowering into position, but only like 1-2mm, not enough to feel like the wheel is wonky when you push it forward to clip it down.
Can you take a picture of the actual rig from above?

Mine just catches when lowering into position, but only like 1-2mm, not enough to feel like the wheel is wonky when you push it forward to clip it down.
Can you take a picture of the actual rig from above?

I won't be home for a bit but I should be able to tonight.

And yeah, it doesn't catch dramatically but I wasn't sure if the slight interference might indicate the whole thing being somewhat warped. It's good to know that bit is normal.

Actually i don't recall my first seat catching there but that one had to go back for rust. But yeah i don't think that's your problem in any case

My liftbar also catches slightly when lowering and needs to be pushed forward a couple of mm to seat into the latch.

I'm wondering if something is just out of spec with your chair. I agree that a few more photos showing the misalignment of the lift bar and wheel might allow us to help you further.

Here are some additional photos. I have my pedals offset to the right intentionally.

I measured the length of the top straps and the one on the right is 1mm longer than the one on the left. The tension seems to be the same on them? Neither is slack at least.

IMG_8291.JPG
IMG_8292.JPG
IMG_8293.JPG
IMG_8297.JPG

Your best bet is probably just to slightly file one of the holes in the base plate - it won't take much at all.
And it could be the actual wheel base rather than the playseat - i don't think the steering shaft is perfectly centred on my T300RS

Last edited:
I would make sure that the straps are the same length to start. I would also take the wheel off and make sure the mounting plate itself is not crooked.

How are you guys playseats so high up? On mine the top of the seat is near enough the same height as the top of the wheel, and being 6'0 this is obviously not ideal. im far too stupid to be able to fix it and its so frustrating 🤬:banghead:

How are you guys playseats so high up? On mine the top of the seat is near enough the same height as the top of the wheel, and being 6'0 this is obviously not ideal. im far too stupid to be able to fix it and its so frustrating 🤬:banghead:
Takeshi's is a lot more upright than mine. But seat top at steering wheel height seems very low. Are you lying down!? Shorten the two arm straps (and not whilst you're sitting in it!!)

Takeshi's is a lot more upright than mine. But seat top at steering wheel height seems very low. Are you lying down!? Shorten the two arm straps (and not whilst you're sitting in it!!)

Yeah i have since shortened the strips and gained a little, still don't understand how his is so high though doesn't seem possible on mine, but ohwell im comfortable anyway.

Thanks for your reply mate :)

Last edited:
Another way to sit higher is underneath where your bum goes is a wide velcro strap under the chair. Undo that and do it up again with more overlap (i.e make it less saggy)

In my real cars I tend to sit pretty upright and as close to the wheel as possible without my knee bumping the steering column during heel-toe. I mostly built the rig to work on my skills while the 86 is put away for the winter, so I've been trying to set it up for a similar feel.

I found that the lower back strap functionally acts as a seat back adjustment in a real car, I recently loosened mine and it just kind of lets my butt slide further back to straighten my back more. The overall height is purely going to be the horizontal straps across the top though. The side view photo I posted was taken from a very low angle and does make the seat look taller overall than it actually is.

As a general update on the seat, I haven't changed much and am going to just wait until after new years to determine if I'll try to have amazon replace it. I still haven't convinced myself if anything is or isn't wrong with it, I'm overthinking it so much at this point that it's hard to know. I've just been trying to not worry about it for the time being and enjoy it in between all the holiday stress haha

I have tried making my seat similar to either of my sports cars but if you get the seat back anywhere near to your real car then the base is way too steep and it will fold you in half.
So i just go for a reclined GT type feel, but still as upright as possible for my neck, you can be comfy and feel good over quite a range of positions i find

Hi mate. Did you manage to get that fixed? I just bought mine and have basically the same problem.

Back