Playseat Evolution mods to eliminate wheel center post?

• Thread starter Keluna
  • 21 comments
United States
Washington State
Keluna
My Playseat A1GP Evolution is 7 years old now. It's in storage as I remodel my "Man Cave" spare bedroom. Planning to touch up the paint and maybe replace the seat with a Sparco.

The one thing I never liked is the center post steering wheel mount between my legs - it really kills "heel and toe" three pedal footwork for me.

Looking for ideas and photos from anyone that has modified their Playseat to eliminate the center post.

Thanks in advance! (this is the Playseat I'd like to mod)

Last edited:
My Playseat A1GP Evolution is 7 years old now. It's in storage as I remodel my "Man Cave" spare bedroom. Planning to touch up the paint and maybe replace the seat with a Sparco.

The one thing I never liked is the center post steering wheel mount between my legs - it really kills "heel and toe" three pedal footwork for me.

Looking for ideas and photos from anyone that has modified their Playseat to eliminate the center post.

I bought this from http://www.sim-seats.com/ in Sept. 2013 for about $200. It was called the SR2 to SRX conversion kit. It doesn't show on the website anymore but if you contacted them I'm sure they would hook you up , they do custom orders. I installed it on my evo and couldn't be happier.

Nice mod, I'm set up for all the wood work.
What material are you using to cover the lumber?

I bought this from http://www.sim-seats.com/ in Sept. 2013 for about $200. It was called the SR2 to SRX conversion kit. It doesn't show on the website anymore but if you contacted them I'm sure they would hook you up , they do custom orders. I installed it on my evo and couldn't be happier.

Thanks - I shot an email to "sim-seats" but no reply yet.

Thanks CTstryk - definitely going to order some of that!

Fatkrakr thanks again - Sim-Seats replied, $350 plus FexEx shipping, and based on experience that's means $100+ to ship.

Amazon is the only source with reasonable shipping rates to Hawaii. I can order the GTR Simulator for $369 plus $28 shipping. Have not read many reviews on the GTR but I'm more likely to go the DIY route anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/GTR-Simulator-GTA-S-S101LBK-Driving-Cockpit/dp/B01GDVE4ZQ/ref=sr_1_7?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1483723454&sr=8-7&keywords=racing+cockpit&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Today I had to bring my steering plate of the Playseat to the reseller. See pics. Hopefully a replacement under warranty. If this plate will break again then another even more robust rig like the GTA Driving Sim or DIY is welcome.

As always they have never seen damage like this, I am the first one, blablabla :) But if they replace it soon I will not complain. If Playseat engineering dept. read this message --> here is a free consulting advise: weld the plate and post on multiple points in stead of just two.

on topic: But still a post between my legs ;)

IMG_2106.JPG IMG_2108.JPG

Thanks CTstryk - definitely going to order some of that!

Fatkrakr thanks again - Sim-Seats replied, $350 plus FexEx shipping, and based on experience that's means $100+ to ship.

Amazon is the only source with reasonable shipping rates to Hawaii. I can order the GTR Simulator for $369 plus $28 shipping. Have not read many reviews on the GTR but I'm more likely to go the DIY route anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/GTR-Simulator-GTA-S-S101LBK-Driving-Cockpit/dp/B01GDVE4ZQ/ref=sr_1_7?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1483723454&sr=8-7&keywords=racing+cockpit&refinements=p_85:2470955011
I just looked up my receipt and it was $187 shipped in 2013. I always thought it was a steal, I guess they figured that out. :lol:

Found this GTR Simulator on Amazon that checked all my boxes, including price @ $400.38 plus $27.99 shipping to Hawaii. Going save the Playseat project for another day.

Shipped and sold by Amazon, only 1 available, ships in 1-2 months.
The wait is fine since I'm remodeling the room.

Reviews seem mostly positive but they offer many variations, so an exact review is hard to find.

Would appreciate any feedback here from owners.

• Adjustable racing bucket seats
  • Precision-made supports for wheel and pedal supports
  • Powder coated frame
  • Shifter holder included
  • Monitor stand (triple or single)

My concern would be how far that wheel deck stretches with no support struts. I think that there would be a lot of flex generated with that material/distance combination. My guess is that on that front it would be a significant step down from the Playseat Evolution, and it's a crucial aspect to the experience.

Adding a U-shaped strut under the wheel deck, and extending to the unit's floor, would very much stabilise it though, I suspect.

Agree with LeMansAid, see my pics above of the steerplate. heavy force on the iron plate and diagonal struts expected.
Very curious if this GTR Simulator is sturdy (?) enough.

Thanks for the great feedback, forced me to think it over and I cancelled my GTSF-S order.

Concerns were:

* Lack of support for the wheel posts as pointed out by LeMansAid and BrainsBush!
* Wheel post positioning prevents mounting top pivot pedals.
* Wheel and pedal positions are fixed, only the seat position can be adjusted.

I briefly considered ordering the GTA-S model, which is $397.98 shipped, but was thrown off by the "support" documents available on their website. Assembly instructions are very sparse and indicate that adjustments are friction locks. Those would be a problem for getting the left and right wheel height support level and preventing slippage during use. Ditto for the wheel angle adjustment.

I've decided to look elsewhere unless I see some actual reviews from verified buyers.

GTA-S Model image:

Last edited:
GTA-S looks great and is very robust! I would like to have one of these. But probably a DIY modification of my Playseat and make it a 'best of both worlds' combo. For tubes/pipes and couplers you do not have to win the mega jackpot. Only thinking about the adjustable part of the wheel because my son is taller to me. Or I convince him to put his knees above his ears...

GTA-S looks great and is very robust! I would like to have one of these. But probably a DIY modification of my Playseat and make it a 'best of both worlds' combo. For tubes/pipes and couplers you do not have to win the mega jackpot. Only thinking about the adjustable part of the wheel because my son is taller to me. Or I convince him to put his knees above his ears...
Get you some extruded aluminum pieces and go to town. I used it to make my triple monitor mount. https://8020.net/

Anyone used some wheelstand(Next level racing, GT Omega etc) to use it with Playseat's backframe/seat? Of course there should be some attachment to do between them.

Hello to all!
Below shows what I've done to improve the Playseat construction. It does not involve removing the wheel post, but it moves it much closer to the seat, which allows to brake with either left or right foot. I do still have to get in contact with the post while braking, but it is not as distracting as it used to be. I reckon the post layout is somewhat similar to the Playseat Grand Turismo wheel support post...
IMG_20180620_230117.jpg

Cut mine up and made this

Attachments

• DSC_0092.JPG
    DSC_0092.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 956
  • DSC_0093.JPG
    DSC_0093.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 936
  • DSC_0092.JPG
    DSC_0092.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 945
Last edited by a moderator: