Playstation 30th Anniversary

• Thread starter PGodia10
  • 7 comments
Spain
Spain
Maybe a bit early to guess but Playstation celebrates its 30th anniversary next year as the original system was released in late 1994.

Do you expect Sony to something special? What do you wish for?

Maybe I'm biased because I still play on PS4 but I think they might release something that puts even more players on PS5 (4 years into it by then, I think) so they can cut PS4 support almost enterely and move on.

Some options I think of:

• They release a PS5 pro
  • They release a PS5 slim
  • They do a special edition PS5 (like the last Spiderman one)
  • They do some bundles with any of the above + VR2 and/or (special?) Pulse headset

Some more underwhelming options could be they just do a special controller, a price drop or even nothing at all 😅

Everyone's speculating on a PS5 Pro and I suspect that will be the next thing to come along although 2024 seems really soon for it given the chip shortage has basically pushed back this gen for the majority - sure, the console released three years ago or whatever but most people only got one over the last 12 months.

Still, I think this gen has been really underwhelming so far and am not sure what the root cause is - is it that there's just not a noticeable enough 'generational leap' between them this time (partly because of the Pro/X versions of the last gen I guess), is it because they're still mostly supporting old gen too (in which case, DITCH PS4 VERSIONS please, most people have a PS5 now finally), is it in the Xbox case the Series S holding them back? It is just a lack of originality or unpredictability from the games industry altogether, ESports and the need for parity across versions removing the push for technically dazzling games?? Etc etc.

But yeah, I'd suspect Pro versions will be next up and I think it'll be quite controversial among some people because the base models still seem so new and consequently expensive.

I would hope that they would do multiple things in celebration. Price drops, more PS1, and PS2 games added to PS+ special edition consoles, controllers. I know that probably won't happen. They'll give up special 30th anniversary PS avatars for it 🤣

Last edited:
I had a shower thought. I think GT8 would be like GT4 in that they will reuse all cars and tracks from previous game as-are. They will expand in other areas and I'm sure the focus will be Sophy and VR2 which are PS5 only.

What about a PS5 30th anniversary bundle with GT8 and VR2? That would be december 2024, idk if doable 🤔

Last edited:
They'll increase the prices for PS+ subscriptions :/
"For The Payers" is their slogan after all.

I loved their anniversary controller and console they did a few years back. The retro look was sick.

I would love for them to do it again for the PS5, a special edition referencing every model.

Christmas 2024: PS5+PSVR2+PSP(ortal)+DD Pro Bundle

Parents to kid: “Sorry (insert any name), we bought you a car instead. Couldn’t afford the PS 30 Anniversary bundle.”
Child: sobs

Back