PlayStation 5 Prices Increase Due to "Challenging Economic Conditions"

• Thread starter Famine
  • 37 comments
I’d be upset if I was in one of the affected territories, and if I actually had a reason to upgrade to a PS5 from my base PS4. But I really don’t understand why I’d want a PS5 for me, personally.

Last edited:
And yet Sony announced record profits in February, up 26%.

If you’re going to screw us, at least be honest about it.

Last edited:
When adjusted for inflation, the Bally Astrocade, the Atari 2600, and the Sega Saturn would cost over $1,000 brand new today. The 2600 cost $189 in 1977 and the Saturn launched 18 years later at $400. Big name 2600 titles were $39.99, which comes to about $200 today.
The price of certain games for those consoles today is high enough it doesn't even register on a modern gamer's radar.
Before shipping, my PS5 cost $550. I know Sony was offering free shipping but I did't care to wait.
All things considered, I think the PS5 is reasonably priced. Yes there is some sticker shock, but it didn't eat 2-3 weeks worth of my pay like the 2600 did to my Dad. There are cheaper modern consoles, too, but the game I wanted wasn't made for them. Gran Turismo 7 is just something else I can enjoy on the PS5, even with its faults.

1.8 billion still sounds like they are doing good, especially when one of the stated reasons it was slashed was the bidding war Sony seemingly got in with itself with Bungie.

It's definitely better than the equivalent "Playstation made 1.8 billion but the entire rest of the company is lighting money on fire" fr a decade or so ago, too.

I'm surprised they didn't raise the prices sooner honestly. If you think this is corporate greed, you're naive.
Sony thanks you for your cooperation, and hopes that you will buy more enhanced PS4 games for $10 more.

Am I correct in guessing that you live in the region where Sony actually has strong competition and thus (somehow) isn't affected by the chip shortages, shipping costs and sky high inflation (like the other two players in the market also aren't anywhere) in the world, apparently)?

Last edited:
Still enjoying my PS4 Pro and wondering if I’ll even bother with a PS5.
I was ready to wait, figuring I’d be able to get one next year. I’m satisfied with my purchase and at least with GT7, it feels like a different game. Not just enhanced.

I’d be upset if I was in one of the affected territories, and if I actually had a reason to upgrade to a PS5 from my base PS4. But I really don’t understand why I’d want a PS5 for me, personally.
Going from a Pro there's probably not a huge difference, but from my old base 4 to the 5 was night and day - so much quieter and PS4 games look & run a whole lot better. No frame drops, improved resolution and other visual effects (if the game had a Pro enhancement). The controller is the big thing for me - some don't like it for the size or the continued "wrong" stick placement but for me it's the best first party pad I've used.

Some annoying things, the stand is useless in horizontal mode, the sideplates are a dust magnet & can be stubborn to remove, the storage is too small and you really need to add a M.2 SSD - but overall no regrets for upgrading, and I was lucky enough to get it day 1 at retail price.

1.8 billion still sounds like they are doing good, especially when one of the stated reasons it was slashed was the bidding war Sony seemingly got in with itself with Bungie.

It's definitely better than the equivalent "Playstation made 1.8 billion but the entire rest of the company is lighting money on fire" fr a decade or so ago, too.

Sony thanks you for your cooperation, and hopes that you will buy more enhanced PS4 games for $10 more.

Am I correct in guessing that you live in the region where Sony actually has strong competition and thus (somehow) isn't affected by the chip shortages, shipping costs and sky high inflation (like the other two players in the market also aren't anywhere) in the world, apparently)?
It might have something to do with the Switch being in production since 2017 and Microsoft allowing Xbox to float this entirely unsustainable business model of Game Pass. I doubt MS cares at all if their hardware is profitable.

I'm not sure why a price increase surprises you. Quite literally everything on the planet has gotten more expensive, whether you can immediately tell or not.

Back