Playstation exec on future of consoles

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 4 comments

Novalee

(Banned)
Canada
Earth
Interesting read on where consoles could be headed.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-boss-predicts-post-console-world/1100-6464942/

Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shawn Layden has laid down a ambitious prediction for where he thinks the video game industry could be headed. Speaking to Game Informer, Layden said he foresees some kind of "post-console" world where PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo are more unified than ever. While Layden maintains that PlayStation is the "best gaming experience," he said Xbox One and Nintendo Switch offer "great experiences" as well, and PlayStation should do more to recognize that.

They need to have more platform sharing in future games and have network connectivities with other brands when it comes to online multi-player games so that they can survive in the future. I believe Nintendo and Microsoft is doing this strategy already in order to attract more gamers.

I don't doubt Layden's sincerity, but his comments read a little to me like they came from Opposite Land.

He laments the walls between console ecosystems, while his platform continues to be the one that is least amenable to just allowing unfettered cross-console play - finally relenting and allowing it on a CASE BY CASE basis, with two games so far. Meanwhile, Nintendo is letting people play Minecraft with Xbox players using an Xbox Live account, and Microsoft is continuing to support that game with updates and cross-play on COMPETING CONSOLES, years later. Not to mention the Xbox Adaptive Controller, which they've said they're completely open to Nintendo or Sony making compatible with their consoles, if they want.

Then he laments that moving to a new console generation means largely leaving the previous one in the dust, while his platform continues not to have real backward compatibility (charging money to stream PS3 games from PS Now doesn't count), but his chief competitor DOES, and does it for free.

Like I said - Layden isn't Sony, and I don't doubt he's sincere. But it's just kind-of remarkable to hear a Sony executive talk about these things as though they are external realities they have no control over. I did find his honesty about why they aren't bothering with E3 this year to be refreshing: they have nothing new to show, and people will be disappointed as a result, so what's the point? You can't just show up with Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, and Death Stranding gameplay footage again, no matter how good it looks (Tsushima looks awesome).

Perhaps Layden is hoping these public comments will be read by certain people at Sony, who he couldn't bring these things to directly.

I am left wondering when exactly they will unveil the PS5, because Phil Spencer is hinting very loudly that they will be unveiling the next Xbox at E3. I suppose they could just hold a press event whenever.

Last edited:
Then he laments that moving to a new console generation means largely leaving the previous one in the dust, while his platform continues not to have real backward compatibility (charging money to stream PS3 games from PS Now doesn't count), but his chief competitor DOES, and does it for free.
While it is too late for the PS4, a recent patent suggest otherwise.

While Layden maintains that PlayStation is the "best gaming experience," he said Xbox One and Nintendo Switch offer "great experiences" as well, and PlayStation should do more to recognize that.
1XAoUfe.png

:lol:

Back