"Playstation Now" Streaming

• Thread starter pbsmgm
  • 12 comments
United States
United States
pbsmgm
Does anyone know if the new streaming service from Sony called "PlayStation Now" that provides PS3 games on the PS4 will include GT6? I believe PlayStation Now is still in beta until October 2014. And I am just seeing if anyone else knows more about this.

I guess it's possible, but as far as I know there is no official list of games coming to PS Now. It's just a wait and see type thing. In my experience, games that require quick reactions (FPS for example) didn't play well on Now.

How does it work exactly? Do you have to buy the game all over again?
It's been rental in the Beta so far, not purchases. You have the option for various periods. I think I'd prefer if there was an option to buy unlimited access to any game you choose.

Well if you can't buy the game outright, it's useless to me.

Game developers and hardware manufacturers seem to think gamers are millionaires these days.

I'm hoping PS4 Slim has PS3 compatibility.

It wont.

Not because Sony don't want to, but it's an architectural problem. The PS3 and PS2 run VERY custom hardware which is suited purely to their linux-based operating systems.

The PS4 runs on an 'x86' PC based architecture which is similar to a gaming PC or computer. As such you won't be able to emulate or run PS3 games directly on PS4 hardware.

It sucks, but it's true.

It's the same principle that my android phone (also linux based) has much more powerful hardware than a PS2 ever had, but actually getting the phone to run anything from a PS2 is nigh-on impossible (at a usable frame rate anyway) as it is run in a completely different way.

It wont.

Not because Sony don't want to, but it's an architectural problem. The PS3 and PS2 run VERY custom hardware which is suited purely to their linux-based operating systems.

The PS4 runs on an 'x86' PC based architecture which is similar to a gaming PC or computer. As such you won't be able to emulate or run PS3 games directly on PS4 hardware.

It sucks, but it's true.

It's the same principle that my android phone (also linux based) has much more powerful hardware than a PS2 ever had, but actually getting the phone to run anything from a PS2 is nigh-on impossible (at a usable frame rate anyway) as it is run in a completely different way.

I've tried to explain this simple fact to so many people that complain about the lack of PS3 backwards compatibility on the PS4 (and Xbox360/Xbox1 for that matter too).

Anybody else remember how much x86 power it took to emulate a N64 properly?

Without dedicated hardware to help in the emulation process you have to completely rely on software to do the emulation. The only time when this works well is when you're trying to emulate hardware on hardware that is sometimes orders of magnitude faster. This is the reason why emulation works when running PS1 games on PS3. I suspect that this may be possible to get maybe PS2 games to run on PS4.

Also, small correction to the OS that the PS3 runs. The actual OS is called CellOS, which is a fork from FreeBSD. So it's closer to Unix than Linux. I don't remember what the PS2's OS was, but considering it runs on a MIPS based processor, I'd bet it's another UNIX derivative.

Last edited:
I've tried to explain this simple fact to so many people that complain about the lack of PS3 backwards compatibility on the PS4 (and Xbox360/Xbox1 for that matter too).

Anybody else remember how much x86 power it took to emulate a N64 properly?

Without dedicated hardware to help in the emulation process you have to completely rely on software to do the emulation. The only time when this works well is when you're trying to emulate hardware on hardware that is sometimes orders of magnitude faster. This is the reason why emulation works when running PS1 games on PS3. I suspect that this may be possible to get maybe PS2 games to run on PS4.

Also, small correction to the OS that the PS3 runs. The actual OS is called CellOS, which is a fork from FreeBSD. So it's closer to Unix than Linux. I don't remember what the PS2's OS was, but considering it runs on a MIPS based processor, I'd bet it's another UNIX derivative.
Haha, apologies on the linux, unix front. I'd put some spin on it saying "I thought more people would understand linux to unix" but the fact of the matter is I goofed :P

It is irritating that people complain about lack of backwards compatibility without truly understanding that, to move forward, you have to make sacrifices

Back