Please Help: G27 Claibration Issues GT6

  • Thread starter Thread starter crasherkid
  • 17 comments
  • 3,961 views
Messages
43
United Kingdom
WEST YORKSHIRE
Messages
crasherkid_123
Hello fellow GT'ers :)
Please help as I desperately seek some expert advice regarding a Logitech G27 Wheel.
Basically I've been using a G27 for over a year or when GT6 was first launched.

2 Weeks ago, my wheel started behaving really odd. When youfirst load the game and play for around an hour the wheel was fine then slowly started becoming off centre/off axis around 15-20 degrees which made it un-playable.
I rang logitech and they thankfully sent me a brand new replacement which I got in the post two days ago. (Very grateful for their excellent customer service might I add)
Soon as I plugged the new G27 in, it worked perfectly for a few hours and now the SAME problem where the wheel is off centre by even a larger degree. Even if I unplug power/Usb cable wheel is around 45 degrees off axis and totally unplayable.

I have connected to PC and updated software etc and even in windows>control panel>G27>properties when you calibrate the wheel the 0%/degrees or centre of wheel is still actually around 15 degrees off axis.

Am I doing something wrong or is GT6 doing something wrong or is coincidentally ANOTHER faulty wheel???

Please guys, I'm currently around 2:18 on GT academy Round 4 and would really like to finish in top 50 regional leaderboards and only have another few hours to give it my best shot.

PS: usually on my old G27, when I powered the PS3 off the wheel did a full lock to the right, full lock to the left and stopped dead central in middle.... With the wheel I currently have when I switch the ps3 off it only goes 3/4 quarter way right then just powers off there?

Please Help :(
 
It's not calibrating. But, the off center issue is usually due to a bad or loose wheel position sensor. They shake loose/break off from counter steering into heavy FFB. Does it fully calibrate when you start the ps3, then again when the game boots up, then again when you shut the game/ps3 off. Usually I just power down in game after I've saved, but if you shut the game down, it should calibrate and then do it again when you shut the ps3 off. So, it must do it at least three times, depending on how you shut down.

If it does calibrate in those instances, is it also doing partial calibration or merely when you shut down? Next time it happens, try resetting it to 900* and see if it comes back before you power down later. Also, try 450 and 670* settings. Don't do 240. If it is already broken or not just the sensor, you could really do some damage on 240.

This is really weird that it would occur back to back...AND immediately with the new one...
 
Hello fellow GT'ers :)
Please help as I desperately seek some expert advice regarding a Logitech G27 Wheel.
Basically I've been using a G27 for over a year or when GT6 was first launched.

2 Weeks ago, my wheel started behaving really odd. When youfirst load the game and play for around an hour the wheel was fine then slowly started becoming off centre/off axis around 15-20 degrees which made it un-playable.
I rang logitech and they thankfully sent me a brand new replacement which I got in the post two days ago. (Very grateful for their excellent customer service might I add)
Soon as I plugged the new G27 in, it worked perfectly for a few hours and now the SAME problem where the wheel is off centre by even a larger degree. Even if I unplug power/Usb cable wheel is around 45 degrees off axis and totally unplayable.

I have connected to PC and updated software etc and even in windows>control panel>G27>properties when you calibrate the wheel the 0%/degrees or centre of wheel is still actually around 15 degrees off axis.

Am I doing something wrong or is GT6 doing something wrong or is coincidentally ANOTHER faulty wheel???

Please guys, I'm currently around 2:18 on GT academy Round 4 and would really like to finish in top 50 regional leaderboards and only have another few hours to give it my best shot.

PS: usually on my old G27, when I powered the PS3 off the wheel did a full lock to the right, full lock to the left and stopped dead central in middle.... With the wheel I currently have when I switch the ps3 off it only goes 3/4 quarter way right then just powers off there?

Please Help :(
This is a known and common issue with the G27, I had the exact same issue. Mine was replaced, only 6 months old and it's been fine for a year, although it's only seen light duty in that year. I found help in this thread in the Hardware Forum and this link is also there with step by step instructions. If it were me I'd try hard to get it replaced, and don't take no for an answer. Barring that, you're on your own and the forum links might help you. Good luck.
 
Is it just me, or does this seem more prevalent in the 2nd version of the g27?
 
It's not calibrating. But, the off center issue is usually due to a bad or loose wheel position sensor. They shake loose/break off from counter steering into heavy FFB. Does it fully calibrate when you start the ps3, then again when the game boots up, then again when you shut the game/ps3 off. Usually I just power down in game after I've saved, but if you shut the game down, it should calibrate and then do it again when you shut the ps3 off. So, it must do it at least three times, depending on how you shut down.

If it does calibrate in those instances, is it also doing partial calibration or merely when you shut down? Next time it happens, try resetting it to 900* and see if it comes back before you power down later. Also, try 450 and 670* settings. Don't do 240. If it is already broken or not just the sensor, you could really do some damage on 240.

This is really weird that it would occur back to back...AND immediately with the new one...


Thank you so much for the replies, really appreciate it :)

When I start the PS3, the wheel calibrates properly (full lock right, full lock left and stops "almost dead center" . When I start GT6 it calibrates full lock right, full lock left and stops slightly off middle around 5-10 degrees but when I switch the ps3 off using the dualshock pad holding down ps button and "shut down computer" the wheel turns half a circle to the right and just gets stuck there.

I'm going to try change the settings to 900 degress etc as you mentioned and will report back here.
Thanks ever so much for the support.
 
No problem, man. I would go nuts if my wheel started acting up. I have a G27 as well. The older version, though. Same design, though. Just a few different materials used for some parts as far as I know.

Hope it helps :/ If not, I wouldn't tinker with it and send it right back. It sounds like they sent you a bad wheel. Curious whether they fix old ones that are sent in, refurbish and resell them. I love Logitech, but it wouldn't surprise me with any hardware companies. Their customer support is seriously second to none, though. If we can't help you figure it out, Logitech will hook you up for sure. Try another power outlet for the wheel, too. I've read some whacky stories about currents, resistance, etc. People would change outlets and their g27 would stop acting up. Being off center ever so slightly after full calibration is actually correct. The power to the motors shuts off and the wheel still has some momentum in it as it returns to center. Next time it calibrated as the game is loading and it is off center very slightly, recalibrate it with the button presses I linked to your desired lock and you'll see it will dead center. There is no soft zone in the steering once you get below 670* lock on the G27s. The 670* lock barely has a soft zone in the center for straights. At 450 and 240, you'll be fighting at points to keep the front wheels straight...which is awesome :) It'll work out. Looking forward to reading that it went well ;)
 
Many thanks for the support.

I tried setting the wheel which was on 900 degrees (default) to 900 degrees and exactly the same behaviour when starting up ps3/loading gt and shutting no difference whatsoever.
I have other settings as:

overall effects
spring effects
damper effect
ALL default set at 100%

Enable centering spring in FFB games - UNCHECKED

report combined pedals - UNCHECKED

degrees of rotation (now trying 670 degrees)

allow game to adjust settings - TICKED
 
Last edited:
I have just tried altering every other setting in the global device settings and the wheel behaves exactly the same in everything I tried. No change or alteration to any settings I applied.

Strange that when I connect the wheel to the PC it calibrates properly and stops absolutely bang on centrally right in the middle.
When the PS3 is switched on it stops "almost in the middle" but when I load GT6 it stops around 10 degrees to the right and after playing for 10 mins or so it gets even worse almost half a turn to the right!!!

Does that mean back to Logitech for another replacement?

Wheel being faulty isn't my worry as it should be replaced as it's under warranty.
What's hurting me the most is I won't get chance to better my lap on the last round of GT academy :(:(

Thank you so much for all the support.
 
Is it just me, or does this seem more prevalent in the 2nd version of the g27?
Just realised the one I had first was the older one and the replacement (2nd faulty unit) is the new one.
Both boxes/packaging is totally different.
 
Have you tried plugging it into the other USB port on your console? I'm wondering if the game and updates need to be reinstalled for some reason. It sounds like a software issue between your wheel and the ps3. Are there updates for the g27s to download by plugging them into the pc?
 
Ok, I did a little more poking around. Doubt it is the issue, it worth a shot. Make sure your controller/gamepad/ds3 is assigned to controller two if the wheel is number one and if number two is the wheel, make sure number one is the controller. Have read that can cause issues like this as well.
 
Ok, I did a little more poking around. Doubt it is the issue, it worth a shot. Make sure your controller/gamepad/ds3 is assigned to controller two if the wheel is number one and if number two is the wheel, make sure number one is the controller. Have read that can cause issues like this as well.

Yes already tried different ports on the PS3, no difference there too.
The PS3 and GT6 are both running the latest firmware.
logitech gaming software is running at it's latest version too.
The wheel is always controller 1 and DS3 is always at 2. How do you get the PS button on the G27 to check???
I too suspect there's something wrong between the wheel and connection to the PS3 but who knows I've pretty much tried everything??
 
Many thanks for the support.

I tried setting the wheel which was on 900 degrees (default) to 900 degrees and exactly the same behaviour when starting up ps3/loading gt and shutting no difference whatsoever.
I have other settings as:

overall effects
spring effects
damper effect
ALL default set at 100%

Enable centering spring in FFB games - UNCHECKED

report combined pedals - UNCHECKED

degrees of rotation (now trying 670 degrees)

allow game to adjust settings - TICKED
These settings do not apply to the PS3/GT6. You can make them whatever you want but the firmware does not work with the PS3. All settings are overriden by the GT6. The Logitech Profiler works on PC.
 
Hello guys,
just thought I'd update this thread as it may help fellow G27 users in the future.

So continuing from my original Post (my 18 month old G27 had an off-axis problem) which was quiet subtle but Logitech sent me a brand new one which failed after just ONE day of use with exactly the same problem on a bigger scale.

A friend of mine who is a DIY guy opened it all up into pieces and put it all back together.
Strangely he couldn't see any cracks/breaks, or loose wiring with it and tightnened all the screws near the optical encoder which itself seemed fine but the wheel was still not centering correctly.
I sold this on ebay as spares/repairs as Logitech sent me a THIRD G27 set.

I have only received this yesterday so only had literally a few hours testing it.
When I switch on the PS3, the wheel calibrates correctly and stops dead center.
When I load GT6, the wheel calibrates correctly and stops around 5 degrees to the right. (Uh oh, not again)
Strangely when I'm playing the game, the wheel is fine as dead central. (Tested it many ways including special stage route X)

The strange thing is, I've always had my FFB setting in game set to "6".
It's still set to 6 but on this wheel it feels much "weaker" as if its on 1 or 2 ???

The strangest thing of all is when I'm playing the game and get the dualshock 3 pad and hold the PS button down to "shut down PS3", the wheel does NOT calibrate properly.
It just moves a quarter turn to the right and just dies there.

WTF is going on with the new set of G27 wheels????
 
Hello guys,
just thought I'd update this thread as it may help fellow G27 users in the future.

So continuing from my original Post (my 18 month old G27 had an off-axis problem) which was quiet subtle but Logitech sent me a brand new one which failed after just ONE day of use with exactly the same problem on a bigger scale.

A friend of mine who is a DIY guy opened it all up into pieces and put it all back together.
Strangely he couldn't see any cracks/breaks, or loose wiring with it and tightnened all the screws near the optical encoder which itself seemed fine but the wheel was still not centering correctly.
I sold this on ebay as spares/repairs as Logitech sent me a THIRD G27 set.

I have only received this yesterday so only had literally a few hours testing it.
When I switch on the PS3, the wheel calibrates correctly and stops dead center.
When I load GT6, the wheel calibrates correctly and stops around 5 degrees to the right. (Uh oh, not again)
Strangely when I'm playing the game, the wheel is fine as dead central. (Tested it many ways including special stage route X)

The strange thing is, I've always had my FFB setting in game set to "6".
It's still set to 6 but on this wheel it feels much "weaker" as if its on 1 or 2 ???

The strangest thing of all is when I'm playing the game and get the dualshock 3 pad and hold the PS button down to "shut down PS3", the wheel does NOT calibrate properly.
It just moves a quarter turn to the right and just dies there.

WTF is going on with the new set of G27 wheels????
I just got a new G27 wheel it came in the new black and blue box and it does exactly the same thing that my other 2 year old G27 did and it does not calibrates properly.
 
MY friend got a brand new G27 from logitech with the exact same problem. Works fine on PC, but not on his PS3, it just does not want to calibrate properly and when it does it loses it after around 5 mins to be off center by around 45 degrees. Plug it into a PC and it works fine though, we took it apart and could not find anything wrong with the optical encoder or the screws around it.

Funny that you mention the weak FFB, when his wheel actually does want to work on the PS3 the FFB feels real weak, nothing like the strength of my G27 on my own PS3, maybe there is something going on with some batches of wheels?

Maybe some PS3's and some wheels are just not compatible for some reason?
 
I have never plugged my g27 into a pc. Every single person I read who has an issue with one that is unrelated to a part failure, seems to have had it plugged into the pc recently, then it doesn't calibrate right with the ps3. It's piqued my interest...
 
MY friend got a brand new G27 from logitech with the exact same problem. Works fine on PC, but not on his PS3, it just does not want to calibrate properly and when it does it loses it after around 5 mins to be off center by around 45 degrees. Plug it into a PC and it works fine though, we took it apart and could not find anything wrong with the optical encoder or the screws around it.

Funny that you mention the weak FFB, when his wheel actually does want to work on the PS3 the FFB feels real weak, nothing like the strength of my G27 on my own PS3, maybe there is something going on with some batches of wheels?

Maybe some PS3's and some wheels are just not compatible for some reason?


Yeah like I said my mate opened it up to bits and there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with the inside of the G27.
Strange yours worked fine on PC, mine didn't and behaved exactly the same as PS3.
 
Back