Please help me solve an argument.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lyve
  • 22 comments
  • 1,316 views
Messages
9
Czech Republic
Czech Republic
First of all I'm really sorry for potato quality, its not mine video and it was downloaded from facebook.
So there is my friend in the blue BMW when a guy in Mercedes goes out of track and quickly returns back.
They are at same distance and my friend decides to turn into him because he supposed the mercedes will brake and let him pass clearly because he supposedly was "out of track".

I say he should be aware of the other guy and the other guy had no reason to brake and let him pass freely(he was already on track, same speed and distance as BMW and mercedes was in the inner corner).

Who is right?

video:
 
Video is unavailable but based on your verbal description, if the Merc re-entered the track safely and was in control of his car, he has as much right to his position on the track as anyone else.
 
You entered the track before the next turn and was alongside the bmw on the inside. You had the right to the apex at that point and it looks like he turned into you. You were on the track for 3 seconds before the collision. Imo the blue car was at fault.

Edit: I guess it wasn't you in the Merc from reading the description, You is the Mercedes in my comment. Your friend was at fault.
 
There was time enough for him to notice you and avoid contact, you had the right to remain on the inside of the turn as you were already there, his fault, not yours.

BTW, you know you can record saved replays through the share button and upload them thorugh the YouTube app? no need to record with your phone from the screen.
 
Last edited:
Crappy situation...
Not sure coming back onto track in such a manner and immediately running down the inside/blind spot was such a good move by the Merc., but, he was back on track, with significant overlap (dang near even), so... guess the Merc had a right to be there...
But "I" don't like it, I think it was inviting contact, and he had to know the blue car could not anticipate someone being out of the race, then, back in and up his inside... Were I driving the Merc, having just massively screwed up, and jumped back on track in essentially a chicane, and having an excellent view to the action, I would have conceded the spot.
With hindsight being what it is, pretty sure any "real" race car driver would have continued off track and rejoined, off the racing line headed down the straight... outside of turn 3...
 
IMO the blue car is at fault. From the view provided it is clear the merc is back on track so the onus is on the blue car to go around the outside of the merc.
 
Yeah blue car is at fault. Had the Mercedes re-joined the track at that corner, as the BMW was attempting to turn in - different story, but as it stands it's 100% the blue BMW at fault.
 
Blue potato is at fault, should've gone to the left of the green and silver spud and then would've had the inside line on the sweeper rather than a scenic trip to the infield.
 
I’m surprised the blue car driver hasn’t created a forum account to complain about the SR system and how he’s a super clean driver, to be honest.

The Mercedes re-entered the track safely, blue car had plenty of opportunity to avoid a collision.
 
Hi all,
thanks for the answers.

About video again, its not my video, I didnt record it thats why I had no chance to have better quality. I wasnt in the race, blue BMW is my friend and Merc is some other driver.

@MikeTheHockeyFan this is not from daily race, its our little community where we dont complain about such things. I just wanted to know the answer who is at fault because my friend in BMW was saying it was not his fault.

I was pretty sure it was his fault but he still didnt beleive me so I guess this will change his mind.

Thank you!
 
IMO they are both at fault.
Your friend did not actually care about the car re-entering the track and was racing like he is alone.
The other guy its just trying to get back as fast as he can and he is lucky that there is no other car around him atm and he also race like he is alone.
The moment those two went side by side they should have both give room to each other.At that moment,your friend turn into the Merc -though even if he would not do that,the Merc would eventually hit him-.
If I was an official I would give a warning to both of them.
So your friend has no reason to complain and should learn something by this.
 
Last edited:
The blue car is in the right, he'd even changed his cornering line anticipating the other car re entering, obviously the other car hadn't re entered safely cause there was a collision. My 2 cents.
 
This article is from 2014 but I'm not sure if things have changed regarding FIA rules regarding the driving line, but it does go through some of the various "gray" areas that people often ask questions about and it's even a quick read for those with short attention spans:

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/
Honestly I just threw away the whole FIA regulations when racing at GTS.
In my interpretation of the rules, I can divebomb as long as the moment I make contact with the other driver, I hit him beyond the B-pillar (The rules approximately say that in case of a hit, the person at fault is determined at which point the cars made contact
If the attacking car hit the defending car on its rear three-quarters, the attacking car is to blame for trying to pass at a blind spot. Any nearer and the defending car is at fault for not looking at his peripherals), or that the moment I got the inside line, I have the right of way and can push the outside car wide.
No way I'm going to follow that etiquette.
EDIT: I'm reading the rules right now, and it seems like I'm outdated on these FIA rules. Maybe I'll take a refresher and learn them again

As for OP, it's a hard call. I don't like how the Merc rejoins the track, but at the same time when he rejoined he's basically side-by-side with your friend, so I do think the Merc has right of way and should be given his own space. But I understand why your friend might be mad, because I will be as well in that situation
 
Last edited:
I'm I'm not mistaken, the general rule is, that when re-entering the track you enter in a safe manner and get back in line... rather than steam on and instantly contest for position...
Again, tough one to judge for me, because I'm with @JulesDennis both parties could have been more aware/courteous/safe/responsible...

Honestly I just threw away the whole FIA regulations when racing at GTS.
In my interpretation of the rules, I can divebomb as long as the moment I make contact with the other driver, I hit him beyond the B-pillar (The rules approximately say that in case of a hit, the person at fault is determined at which point the cars made contact
If the attacking car hit the defending car on its rear three-quarters, the attacking car is to blame for trying to pass at a blind spot. Any nearer and the defending car is at fault for not looking at his peripherals), or that the moment I got the inside line, I have the right of way and can push the outside car wide.
No way I'm going to follow that etiquette.
EDIT: I'm reading the rules right now, and it seems like I'm outdated on these FIA rules. Maybe I'll take a refresher and learn them again
I respect that you have a lot of pace, but, as you noted, I think it's time to freshen up on rules/etiquette.

As for OP, it's a hard call. I don't like how the Merc rejoins the track, but at the same time when he rejoined he's basically side-by-side with your friend, so I do think the Merc has right of way and should be given his own space. But I understand why your friend might be mad, because I will be as well in that situation
Me too...
 
BMW's fault, both in real life and in a game
 
I respect that you have a lot of pace, but, as you noted, I think it's time to freshen up on rules/etiquette.
Oh, I don't follow the FIA rules as I understand it. I try to leave room for other people and the like.
Although, quite admittedly, I tend to be a bit (very) dirty when other people get into my nerves :indiff:
Also, thanks :)
 
Blue car's fault, the green car IS there no matter what you expect him to do he IS there so you can't turn in.
 
Back