Please help with dirty nascar tuning tips

• Thread starter bs13
  • 29 comments
United States
WV
I enjoy racing Nascars in the dirty rooms but I seem to get spun more than the really good racers. I believe some of them are adding ballast but have no idea where to start with adding weight and at what position. Any tips/hints would be appreciated.

Also, are there any other settings I need to change to make a car better for dirty racing?

:lol: put 200kg ballast in it!
Springs 20/20

Maybe a bit rear downforce? Dirty Nascar........... :ouch:

Lots of skill involved with dirty Nascar.Just drive around and run into people.You actually want a tune for that?

Can't say it's something I've ever done but I'm sure I'll get around to it sooner or later. I can see from the Lobby list it is becoming popular so there must be a certain appeal to it...lol.

Don't most Dirty Nascar rooms have boost on? If that's the case, you want to go for maximum grip which means softest tires for the length of race, max downforce and tuning the suspension so the rear is planted. Positive toe front and rear will help with high speed stability, being a little softer in the front etc. Basically the opposite of what you would do to make a car loose and fast because boost will make up the difference for you.

If that doesn't work for you, then adding ballast in the front will also help keep the rear end planted. Basically do whatever you can to stabilize the rear while still being able to take the corners at top speed. Once you get a little push and the car won't navigate the turns at 350km/h in the draft anymore, you've gone too far and need to dial it back.

Last edited:
Here is a tip. Learn to drive it like it was meant to be driven. Its not a demo derby car. Have some respect for the sport of NASCAR. Just my opinion so deal with it.

BS13 if you do come up with a solution please share it, at least with me...lol. If I ever end up in a Dirty Nascar room I don't want to start from scratch.

Are you serious? You want a tune to wreck a car.Does it really matter what you do to it?Here's an idea! Drive it and smash into somebody,keep going until you win or loose.Go play Mario Cart and throw a banana at him,or the old oil patch perhaps.

lol at Killer. I know right. In my opinion, the ones than participate in these kinds of rooms are the ones that can't run in clean rooms and be copetitive so they have to make dirty NASCAR rooms to justify their inability to drive. But at least it keeps them out of clean rooms. Still doesn't justify a demo derby tho. And yea, I know, you paid your own money to play how you like yadda yadda yadda. Again, just my opinion and thoughts on the subject.

If you read the request, he doesn't want a tune to crash, he wants help in tuning it so it's easier to keep control when hit. That's actually a valid request, as I run great with my NASCAR normally, but a little love tap sends me spinning while others seem to be able to brush it off with barely a wiggle. And that's in clean rooms.

I'm sure a large chunk is driving skill... not sure if you can tune it out.

If that doesn't work for you, then adding ballast in the front will also help keep the rear end planted.
How does adding ballast to the front of the car keep the rear planted?

racer39658, Do you use a wheel? Sometimes I think that helps me as when I get a little bump I feel a little bit of force feedback though the wheel that I can correct while I see others spinning that bumped me.

Cy, Thanks for the link. I should have mentioned that we race mostly at Daytona but I'll add that setup to my collection and give it a go at Indy.

Could a mod clean up all the off topic posts. I asked for help and not for elitist opinions.

How does adding ballast to the front of the car keep the rear planted?

racer39658, Do you use a wheel? Sometimes I think that helps me as when I get a little bump I feel a little bit of force feedback though the wheel that I can correct while I see others spinning that bumped me.

Cy, Thanks for the link. I should have mentioned that we race mostly at Daytona but I'll add that setup to my collection and give it a go at Indy.

Could a mod clean up all the off topic posts. I asked for help and not for elitist opinions.

I don't think mods clear up off topic posts, just the offensive ones. Some of those above are pretty offensive, but probably not quite enough to get deleted. I don't know why people feel they have to tell everyone else how to play a videogame. If this is what you like then go for it. Most Nascar rooms I've been in that are labelled "clean" are crashfests anyway. Dale Earnhardt has everyone thinking it's ok to tap your back end and send you flying into the wall to get by and after the big crashfest in the beginning, the final lap usually features one too.

Try putting ballast in the front and rear, but when you put ballast in the rear of a road car, or drive a road car with and MR layout like an Evora or Elise, they are very loose in the back end and when you add ballast you add it to the front to plant it more. It may work differenly on Nascar, so I'd try anything.

You might also want to be sure and use whatever aids are available. ASM and SRF for example will go a long way to preventing spins.

👍 I seem to recall it being a pretty solid build. I'm sure if you speak to the MadFinns, they'll help you refine the build for your desired track...

{Cy}

Pardon my late reply Johnny and Cy and thanks for your replies.

I did try experimenting with ballast. I started with 100kg and it was ok but it slowed down my lap times by about 1 second. I tried 200kg and it definitely affected handling in the turns. 80kg seems ok and that's what I've been running. It seems to help when the racing gets rough. If your racing with people that work together to catch up with the leader then zero ballast is better for speed.

bs, here's a 3 speed transmission tune I use on one of my cars, I hope it helps you in whatever you choose to use it for. Very slow take off, but very sturdy body. This tune only works well for a Camry.

Aero: 20, 40
Tranny
Top speed 242
Final gear:2.850
4th: all the way to the right
3rd gear: 1.120
1st and 2nd gears all the way to the left
LSD Torgue:60
Accel: 30
Decell: 50
Suspention
Ride height: 15,15
Spring rate: 17.5, 19.0
Damp: 8.7, 8.7
Anti roll:6.6
Cam:1.0,0.4
Toe: .20, .25
The young man asked for help in something he enjoys, and something he or his parents paid for to play as he so chooses to play. That's all he asked for. I hope this helps young man.

Last edited:
I enjoy racing Nascars in the dirty rooms but I seem to get spun more than the really good racers. I believe some of them are adding ballast but have no idea where to start with adding weight and at what position. Any tips/hints would be appreciated.

Also, are there any other settings I need to change to make a car better for dirty racing?

I have played in some dirty Nascar rooms late, late at night and it is a blast. It's not really serious racing yet some people are seriously fast. The difference is that you expect to get run into, so you are less mad when it happens.

My advice is that it is less about a tune. A fast, clean Nascar tune will be great in a dirty Nascar room. The trick is to have a tune that will hug the bottom - you need to be able to hug the inside line all the way around. No, check that, you need to be able to hug the grass all the way around and be able to transition from the apron up onto the track in turn's one and three at Daytona. If you can do that, someone has to be awefully good or lucky to cut throught the grass to spin you.

Setup looks alot like mine, what are the chances of the same L/S/D numbers and camber and rear toe exact, - you run +0.10 more, but back in the day I did run +0.20 for better tire wear. :) http://www.gt5racecentral.com/tunenascarfusion.htm

What in the world are you talking about? More importantly, why did you wait 7 months to talk about it. The only tune in this thread, looks absolutely nothing like yours. Camber and LSD... Cool story.

I just want to say that i race dirty nascar all the time. I do consider it just as hard as clean. I dont like racing the clean rooms for a few reasons. If you have a faster car then most people your expected to sit there lap after lap waiting for someone to move so you can make a pass. Should you bump someone people start crying. Rubbing is racing. So i think all the uptight clean racer need to relax and except the fact that you get bumped in real track racing and if your to slow its not place to drive slowly behind you its a race move. So hate on dirty nascar all you want "clean racers" but your the ones who cant race.( I'm not saying just crash everyone either).

I just want to say that i race dirty nascar all the time. I do consider it just as hard as clean. I dont like racing the clean rooms for a few reasons. If you have a faster car then most people your expected to sit there lap after lap waiting for someone to move so you can make a pass. Should you bump someone people start crying. Rubbing is racing. So i think all the uptight clean racer need to relax and except the fact that you get bumped in real track racing and if your to slow its not place to drive slowly behind you its a race move. So hate on dirty nascar all you want "clean racers" but your the ones who cant race.( I'm not saying just crash everyone either).

What clean rooms are you racing in? We race heavy damage and low slipstream and there is drafting and bumping 2 wide the whole race.You are not expected to sit there you pass them if your car is so fast.Rubbing is racing,yeah ask Dale Jr and the 24 cars that wrecked yesterday at Talladega. There was about 10 million dollars damage.Dirty Nascar, wow,you wonder why real racers on here laugh at Nascar

Dirty Nascar, wow,you wonder why real racers on here laugh at Nascar
Actually, we don't care what "real racers" think. We dirty race because it's a relaxed and fun environment. If you make a mistake so what. Everyone makes mistakes just like in every real race I've watched.

I've heard several of my friends talk about their bad experiences clean racing. They get booted for winning, the rules change after they win a few races, one friend got yelled at for sling shotting a driver, etc. I have never once messed with a clean room by going backwards or wrecking someone yet I got booted because an idiot went backwards and the other two people in the room didn't know me. That is bull crap. Gaming is supposed to be fun and when people take things serious it isn't fun for me or my friends.

If you want to know the truth I am a clean driver but race in dirty rooms because there less stressful and more fun. What does that say about your clean rooms?

I have played in some dirty Nascar rooms late, late at night and it is a blast. It's not really serious racing yet some people are seriously fast. The difference is that you expect to get run into, so you are less mad when it happens.

My advice is that it is less about a tune. A fast, clean Nascar tune will be great in a dirty Nascar room. The trick is to have a tune that will hug the bottom - you need to be able to hug the inside line all the way around. No, check that, you need to be able to hug the grass all the way around and be able to transition from the apron up onto the track in turn's one and three at Daytona. If you can do that, someone has to be awefully good or lucky to cut throught the grass to spin you.

I agree with you that someone's got to be good to cut through the grass and spin you. During a dirty Daytona race, I was hugging the yellow line and a guy on my tail said I was getting in the way. I told him to pass me on the outside which he was obviously incapable of doing, unlike the good drivers. Next race,I sat way back from the pack to 'not get in the way'. Without any effort, I soon got to first position. What was in the way were the crashed cars (Yes. The guy that said that about me was one on the wrecks) . So hug that yellow line no matter what the other drivers say. If your in their way,good! That's racing and their problem. Although it was wreck the top 5 only, they were spitefully crashing into me from 6th or further back. I think it was a reaction to me coming first in a 14 car field by hugging the yellow line in a previous race. Hami's advice is the best. You know your doing right by hugging the line if other drivers express it as being a nuisance. If you move away from it,there's guys that'll wreck you even if your placing is'nt in the top 5. Be a line hugger for the whole race and anyone who does'nt like it can !!!! OFF!!

I agree with you that someone's got to be good to cut through the grass and spin you. During a dirty Daytona race, I was hugging the yellow line and a guy on my tail said I was getting in the way. I told him to pass me on the outside which he was obviously incapable of doing, unlike the good drivers. Next race,I sat way back from the pack to 'not get in the way'. Without any effort, I soon got to first position. What was in the way were the crashed cars (Yes. The guy that said that about me was one on the wrecks) . So hug that yellow line no matter what the other drivers say. If your in their way,good! That's racing and their problem. Although it was wreck the top 5 only, they were spitefully crashing into me from 6th or further back. I think it was a reaction to me coming first in a 14 car field by hugging the yellow line in a previous race. Hami's advice is the best. You know your doing right by hugging the line if other drivers express it as being a nuisance. If you move away from it,there's guys that'll wreck you even if your placing is'nt in the top 5. Be a line hugger for the whole race and anyone who does'nt like it can !!!! OFF!!

I even dip to below the line on the straights. I use all of the pavement. If you want to pass me in Dirty NASCAR, you'll have to do it either in the grass or on the straight. Works pretty well for top finishes, most of the time.

Back