Please Help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Diablomonkey
  • 15 comments
  • 1,039 views
Messages
834
OK I have been looking around at the different coilovers out there and I can't figure out what I should get. The car that they would be going on is a S13, Keiichi Tsuchiya says that the S13 tends to under steer and that with a set of Kei Office coilovers will fix that problem, but Kei Office is no longer in business. So after reading around and doing some research I have come up with not a lot, the coilovers that I have been looking at are KTS Coilovers, SilkRoad Coilovers (go to the 240SX section and click on Full Coilovers), and Tein Coilovers (I'm looking at the type FLEX coilovers). Now my main concern is the fact that they might be to stiff and not fix the under steer problem, BTW I want to use this car for drifting on the weekends and my daily driver but I am not to worried about the ride being to harsh. I did some testing on GT4 and the Sileighty and set the spring stiffness to what the coilover springs are (I did 7kg F and R and then 6kg F and 7kg R) with the first test I got quite a bit of under steer and then after changing the front to 6kg in the front it was a little better (I wish GT4 had the physics of Enthusia) but I couldn't tell if the coilovers where good at drifting because of GT4's physics. In the Drift Bible Keiichi Tsuchiya says to just pull on the E-Brake to fix the under steer, and that the S13 doesn't have a lot of wait over the noise and that is was causes the under steer. So if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Diablomonkey

(sorry if there are any half formed thoughts, I'm about to hit the hay)
 
I just have two things to say.

GT4 is not a sim by any sense of the word.

No such thing as a daily driven drift car. At least not one that isn't already wrecked. If you want a drift car, buy a car specifically to drift and not use it as point A to B transportation. You WILL crash it drifting.

Buy a beater and a drift car (that should also be a beater).
 
Yeah, get a beater. Something like a Mustang with a bent rim should suffice.
 
Putting a 1500$ suspension setup on a 500$ car will not help cure understeer if it's got 20$ K-Mart tires on it. Think about that first.


I'd make sure you know how to actually get the thing sideways as it is right now before spending some money on it...
 
Did I hear "drift car" and "daily driver" in the same sentence? :lol:
 
Get Stance coilovers. Silkroad quality, but less pricy. It Also comes with 2 sets of springs so you can experiment.

@SRV2LOW4ME: It's not that bad. My friend drifts his Miata a lot, and it's a daily driver, and nothing has broken yet.
 
I also know a lot of people who's drift car is also their daily driver.
 
Putting a 1500$ suspension setup on a 500$ car will not help cure understeer if it's got 20$ K-Mart tires on it. Think about that first.


I'd make sure you know how to actually get the thing sideways as it is right now before spending some money on it...

Good advice right there.

OP: Why don't you take some HPDE courses? $1,500 will buy you a one day Skip Barber course. The performance gain from taking a session like that will be worth way more than any mod you can make to the car. Nice thing about improving skills is you get to keep it no matter what car you're driving.


M
 

@SRV2LOW4ME: It's not that bad. My friend drifts his Miata a lot, and it's a daily driver, and nothing has broken yet.

"Yet" being the word, and when it does happen hopefully he'll still look cool telling all the girls on the bus about it while he's waiting to get it repaired. :rolleyes:
 
pwnexplode.gif
 
Tein Flex are garbage btw, the only decent coilovers they do are the HT model. I think there was a drift spec coilover they made, but thats irrelavent because you should be looking to learn how to drive your car properly with the stock suspension before you start blowing x amount on coilovers and such.

When I buy my car it will be about 1 to 2 months before I am able to buy suspension,LSD,ect.ect.ect. and I don't plan on buying anything until I can do the fist three types of drifting to the point where I feel comfortable doing them (fyi they are shift lock, e-brake, and power over) and after reading some threads that I should have in the first place I have decided to go with Stance's GT+.

And thank you guys for your input!
 
I wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself.
 
"Yet" being the word, and when it does happen hopefully he'll still look cool telling all the girls on the bus about it while he's waiting to get it repaired. :rolleyes:
Well, something is going to break eventually, it's not a tank. It's just that the difference is so small that you might as well not worry about it. As long as your car isn't falling apart, it isn't hard to keep it that way.

Of course, if you start out with a car that has blown struts, 200k miles and rust holes all over, it's going to break pretty quick.

@Diablomonkey: Good choice, that what I was planning to get if I had gotten a 240sx. Looking around and reading threads helps:tup:
 
As long as your car isn't falling apart, it isn't hard to keep it that way.

Of course, if you start out with a car that has blown struts, 200k miles and rust holes all over, it's going to break pretty quick.

I have observed that almost all breakage of cars from drifters (pro or street amateur) is self inflicted from hitting something rather than mechanical fault, and yes I have seen a lot of drivers in crappy cars trying to drift.
 
Most drifters keep 15 pairs of front and rear bumpers in their basement at any given time. They'd keep them in the garage, but that's where the 15 sets of rims/tires are.
 
Back