Please No Puntarino

England
England
So I have noticed a lot of punts happening in braking zones and been on the recieving end of more than my fair share too. More often than not it seems to happen when folks are following closely behind in a slip stream and waits till the person in front brakes before they start their own braking. Doing this will 9 times out of 10 result in a punt as you have simply not left enough time to complete your braking process. It's is all down to physics and maths which is not something that gives in easily.

What you should do if you are following in slip stream is be off throttle and on the brakes earlier than you would without. You will slow earlier and it will create a small gap but this will also mean you will be able to get on the throttle earlier resulting in a faster exit which is generally that better thing to do in a race. If you are waiting for the person in front to brake before you do and somehow avoid punting them you will be stuck behind them waiting till they start to accelerate before you can fully get on the throttle yourself which will generally mean a slower and poor exit from a corner.

Aris.Drives ( one of the pc devs for ACC) has a really good video going in depth on this, he explains how this happens, what you should do to avoids punting folks and ultimately get a better faster exit. Incidentally I would recommend looking at his other racing principles vids and while they are for ACC the techniques do translate across games regardless.

Hope this helps someone and we all have better races.

So I have noticed a lot of punts happening in braking zones and been on the recieving end of more than my fair share too. More often than not it seems to happen when folks are following closely behind in a slip stream and waits till the person in front brakes before they start their own braking. Doing this will 9 times out of 10 result in a punt as you have simply not left enough time to complete your braking process. It's is all down to physics and maths which is not something that gives in easily.

What you should do if you are following in slip stream is be off throttle and on the brakes earlier than you would without. You will slow earlier and it will create a small gap but this will also mean you will be able to get on the throttle earlier resulting in a faster exit which is generally that better thing to do in a race. If you are waiting for the person in front to brake before you do and somehow avoid punting them you will be stuck behind them waiting till they start to accelerate before you can fully get on the throttle yourself which will generally mean a slower and poor exit from a corner.

Aris.Drives ( one of the pc devs for ACC) has a really good video going in depth on this, he explains how this happens, what you should do to avoids punting folks and ultimately get a better faster exit. Incidentally I would recommend looking at his other racing principles vids and while they are for ACC the techniques do translate across games regardless.

Hope this helps someone and we all have better races.

I see that you too are a disciple of our Lord and Saviour, El Himmer de Broadbento.

What you should do if you are following in slip stream is be off throttle and on the brakes earlier than you would without. You will slow earlier and it will create a small gap but this will also mean you will be able to get on the throttle earlier resulting in a faster exit which is generally that better thing to do in a race.
I've been doing this since GT5, and I'll never forget what one of the guys I was racing with said, "Man, I really like this Setted guy, he's lifting off before the braking zone so he's not on my a** when I brake." For context, we were doing a 24hr of Le Mans in 24 minutes race, both in Audi R8 LMP's and I was bump drafting him down the straights so we could build a gap to the rest of the pack.

This is the first time I've seen someone else even mention this sort of driving behavior/characteristic, but it's good to see I'm not the only one that does it.

Back