pls help the poor newbie on networking...

• Thread starter 57
  • 5 comments

GTP_57
hi guys, this is my second day on the forum and its been amazing!

the story is i really dont have much know-how about computers and try to stay away from it, but seeing you guys are having this much fun with on-line GTing makes me want to join too, but god networking is hard!

i m currently using a usb mobile sim card device for my internet, but how can i share it with my ps3?

is it better to go wireless or wired? which is more reliable?

right now i'v only got a cable, and what else i need to buy? a router or modem maybe? and how to set it up?

sorry guys if my questions makes you laugh but i know i m kinda helpless...

I don't think you can use your USB mobile internet device (its one of those dongles from phone companies right?) to get net to the PS3. You might be able to if there was a way of sending it from your PC via some sort of networking but I guess it would be complex, maybe someone else can answer you on that one.

Personally I prefer wired for net connection, If your PS3 is in an area which wouldnt be too inconvient to have a cable I would suggest you go with that. Also I feel wired is more secure as people can steal your wireless net or hack you (although this would only happen if you had poor security setup on your PC). Its also that cheaper option as wired routers are more affordable.

What cable do you currently have? Do you mean the ethernet/lan RJ45 cable? It will be the thick black one which came with your PS3 or are you talking about another cable. Basically you would plug that cable into the LAN slot on the PS3 and the other end into a router, then plug the router into a microfilter (a small box which splits the phone socket into phone and net) into the wall.

From that you would go into the connection settings on the PS3 and auto detect... hopefully it would set it up for you manually.

Basically you need a modem/router (they are basically all in one these days)... and if you dont have a land line based broadband connection you will also need that. If you sign up they usually offer a modem free.

Having said all this wait till someone can better inform you on your USB stick internet as all of this may not be needed if you can get the net off that onto you PC and on to your PS3.

Hopes this helps slightly..

Robin

Mobile broadband does not have enough bandwidth to work with PSN, so dont waste your time mate.

But for reference purposes what you could do to get it working (with mobile broadband) is buy a crossover cable (NOT a standard ethernet cable), plug one end into your PC ethernet port, other then into the PS3 and set your PC to share your internet with the PS3.

Job done!

Another way to do it is to use a hub and normal ethernet cables, but a single crossover cable would be cheaper and do the exact same job.

However as I said in my 1st sentence, mobile broadband does not provide adequate bandwidth, so playing a game online would be like trying to play Crysis on an old ZX Spectrum!

Get yourself a landline, a good broadband connection (pref no less than 2Mbit, I have an 8Mbit line) a router and then play all you want. Hard wired will always be better than wireless, so if you can use that then do so, if not then wireless will work just fine, but is more likely to have dropouts, etc.

Last edited:
My internet comes through a USB modem, so I use a similar solution to what H3rmaN described.

All you do is plug one end of an ethernet cable into you computer, and the other into your PS3.

On the computer, you MUST enable Internet Connection Sharing, if you don't know how to, google will provide a simple solution.

From there, just use auto setting on your PS3 to find the internet connection, and woohay!!

Hope this work's out for you, and I know its a bit late, but welcome to GTP!!

Super_Spig

thx heaps guys, i bought a crossover cable today and kind of get it work, even tho i dont know how i did it, and yes it drops out alot...

Well if possible get the best broadband service you can get as that it would be more reliable than a connection to the PC.

Back