PlZ Help with question about GTP

• Thread starter Quattro
  • 11 comments
HI,

I live in Belgium and here we use the PAL system.

My question is... I really really want GT Prologue! I can buy it at Ebay but what exactly do I have to do to be able to play it?
Do I have to buy something to make it work??

I used the search function but no real clear info... plz don't flame if there is.:)

Many thanx in advance!

Quattro

You can use a mod-chip to play imports. Or buy a japanese PS2.

I'm not sure about the legality of modchips, but I think it's legal if you use them just to play import games.

I think you're better off waiting for the full release of GT4.

I agree with Klostrophobic. There will be nothing in GT4P that won't be in the full release. And by the time you get everything together to play an imported game on your system the full release will be nearly ready to ship.

Patience my child. Patience.

I think the real problem here is your PAL TV. Japanese PS2 (AFAIK) broadcast in NTSC - which makes it easy to play imports here in the Americas.

But GT4:P is only for NTSC output. So the first thing you'd need is a US PS2 (that has the ability to play imports by use of modchips or swap discs) or you'd need a Japanese PS2.

THEN you'd need some way to output the video signal. You'd either need to get a hold of an NTSC television set or a scanline converter - a separate box to convert the higher frequency NTSC output to a usuable PAL signal.

I could be wrong about all this - but it's what I remember as being the problem preventing me from importing the latest PS2 WRC game. Only it was the other way around because WRC 2 and 3 were released under PAL systems.

Most modern UK televisions can now broadcast an NTSC signal (60 hz). I have a dvd player and regularly play NTSC dvds, so I would have thought the same principle would apply.

The main thing to think about is even if you get a Japanese PS2, do you really want a game where all the text will be in Japanese? How will you know how much the cars cost, what you need to do in the licenses etc?

So does that mean that Europe is trying to switch to NTSC? I guess that takes care of my point.

As for Prologue. You can't buy cars, so that's not an issue this time around. There is a voice over in Japanese that tells you what to do, but then they show a video of how the test is completed - so all you have to do is copy the example. Someone's also translated the menus and all the options. It's really easy to get into this game.

Basically all you need is to fit a mod chip into ur PS2 or maybe slide card/flip top/swap magic things & an NTSC compatible TV.

Even my PAL 14" TV has 60hz NTSC mode :)

Theres not much too GT : P anyway. Just a nice preview of whats to come (sometime this century, maybe).

Hey Jizzmirk- There is a Japanese NTSC version of WRC II. That's the first game I got with my flip-top. It is well worth it. I'm now waiting for WRC III to get to Japan.

Quattro, I live in Holland. I followed Arwin's tips and it works. I think getting P is well worth the effort.

Back