[PMP] iPod shuffle 2gen (2GB)

WallRunner

Insta @ChristopherLittleATL
Premium
United States
Atlanta, GA
WallRunner51
What it is: This is the newest version of the popular iPod shuffle, sporting 2GB worth of memory, and a clip built on the back that attaches onto..well, whatever you can clip it to, although main uses include clipping it the your pant pocket (my usual place), belt, backpack, and shirt.
What it costs: $49 for the 1GB model, $69 for the 2GB model
How long have you owned/used it: 2 days, although I used the older model for 2 years.

Pros (Comparing to the older model):
  • Size: even though the 1st Gen shuffle was small (for it's time), it still became to big for some things, such as listening to music whilst cleaning out the pans of 18 Cocker spaniels, it would get in the way of moving out pans, cleaning water, etc., TBH I don't know how it ever lasted that place as many times as it did.
  • The Clip; - although some have reported it is easy to bend and break, so is the Motorola RAZR v3... - helps tremendously, holding up to being pulled around with a vacuum cleaner, and keeps itself out of those nasty dog pans.
  • Sound quality, is great, considering it's size, I'm not a big audio buff (I didn't think anything was wrong with listening to my old shuffle through the tiny speakers, until I got my 300w stereo), so I can't really comment on this, but with my "Phillips SHE5920" headphones, the Bass sounds deep, I've heard some stuff at the end of some Beatles songs I never noticed before, haven't tried this with the default earphones yet.
  • Space between songs; a considerable drop from the 1st gen shuffle, which had an awful (IMO) delay between one song and the next, which is almost (note: almost) gone in the new model.
  • Ease-of-use, controls are the same as the old model, although I do miss the "Battery Check" button, it will still show you how much battery is left when you turn it on though.
  • Sound level, higher than the 1g, which never seemed loud enough (again, in a room full of dogs)
Cons:
  • I'd say "Doesn't include a screen", but I identify all of my songs by ear, so I don't need one.
  • Lights that show what is going on are small, and don't shine good in daylight.
  • The Separation of the On/off & Shuffle/Normal buttons are a little confusing, but I'm learning my way around them.
Overall Rating: 9/10
Conclusion:
Very awesome PMP, I now know that the $20 you pay extra for the software is for the case, which is extremely durable :P, although in part I think it has to do with the easy (IMO) to use iTunes aswell.

From,
Chris.

...haven't tried this with the default earphones yet.
Keep it that way. You don't want to ruin your view of the player. There's only one thing that totally sucks in the iPods (this comes from the happy owner of a 2nd gen 8GB Nano) and it's the OEM earphones. Only good for strangling someone, probably yourself after hearing the quality.

Keep it that way. You don't want to ruin your view of the player. There's only one thing that totally sucks in the iPods (this comes from the happy owner of a 2nd gen 8GB Nano) and it's the OEM earphones. Only good for strangling someone, probably yourself after hearing the quality.

Yeah plus they brake straight away, mine started rattling and one side lost volume (came with my 4G 20GB), been using Panasonic ones since... so much better!

I think I'm the only person satisfied with the standard iPod earphones. Then again, I'm no audiophile, and my other set of headphones are a 15-year-old pair of Sonys (once you own your own home, you have little need for headphones, save except for lawn work).

Cons: They knot easily, and the little foam black covers liberate themselves.
Pros: Can leave them in my ear for hours, no discomfort. A surprising amount of audible range for earbuds, if you don't turn the iPod up to 100% volume.

Well, the default iEarphones :P that came with mine are supposed to be better than the previous models, but I'm not using them, these ones I've got now are great, but my sister seems to like them on the old shuffle :P

From,
Chris.

I'd like to add a little bit more to this:

This thing a tough trooper! Last night I had forgot to clip it onto my pocket when I was getting out of the car, so it flew up as I jumped out, got slammed into the door, and fell out onto the driveway in the pouring rain, still working as I type this.

The only thing that happened is the clip got slightly bent, but was easily bent back into shape and is in perfect working order.

From,
Chris.

Back