Polestar 3, 4, and 5

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
Polestar 3

1654724070664.png

"Polestar 3 is the SUV for the electric age. Our design identity evolves with this high-end large luxury EV, with a strong, individual brand character. With this car, we bring the 'sport' back to the SUV, staying true to our performance roots," says Thomas Ingenlath, Polestar CEO. "This is a major milestone for our company, one that boosts our growth trajectory and takes us into our next phase."

The Polestar 3 is the first EV in that next phase and will be followed in 2023 by the Polestar 4 (a smaller SUV coupe) and the flagship Polestar 5 in 2024.

We can expect more technical specs on the Polestar 3 when it officially goes on sale in October. For now, Polestar says to expect a battery with enough capacity for a WLTP range of 600 km (372 miles), which should be sufficient for an EPA range estimate of well over 300 miles. We also know it will be a dual-motor powertrain and probably one with plenty of acceleration.

The company says it will also eventually offer autonomous driving, which will use the car's onboard Luminar lidar sensor and Nvidia GPUs to help determine its place in the world.

Although Polestar will start accepting orders in October, production of the SUV EV won't begin until early 2023. As part of Polestar's plans to increase its production volume, that will mean building Polestar 3s in Ridgeville, South Carolina, and its factory in Luqiao, China.

Polestar 5

1654724164364.png

1654724171605.png

1654724179528.png

Initial spy shots of the Polestar 5 which shows how similar it is to the Precept they had shown 2 years ago

1654724222066.png

I love the Scandinavian design on these things. Very unique, very futuristic.

1655320047700.png

1655321324214.png

"Goodwood is our favorite place to show our cars in an enthusiast environment," comments Polestar CEO, Thomas Ingenlath. "This year, we are thrilled to showcase Polestar 5 going up the hill! Our UK R&D team is doing an amazing job developing the car, and we are proud to be able to highlight their hard work at this early stage." Polestar says the car will carry out multiple runs up the hill during the event, which takes place beginning Thursday, June 23 and ends on Sunday, June 26.

I love the Scandinavian design on these things. Very unique, very futuristic.
I'm not sure what's inherently Scandi about these designs. They look nice, but they look like they could be contemporary Chinese or Korean or German or British or even American. The design lead for Polestar is a German guy who was schooled in England who designed a bunch of Skodas earlier in his career. Car design, particularly "futuristic EVs" look increasingly homogeneous. The kicked up flank move, the de-laminated headlight with a vent in it move, the laser-thin full width tail light move. Nobody is doing anything weird anymore :(

I'm not sure what's inherently Scandi about these designs.
Mjolnir headlights. I'm sure there will also be some quirky things that scream Scandinavian design too, especially when it comes to anything remotely ergonomical.

====

As for the Polestar 5?
Futurama Reaction GIF

I'm not sure what's inherently Scandi about these designs. They look nice, but they look like they could be contemporary Chinese or Korean or German or British or even American. The design lead for Polestar is a German guy who was schooled in England who designed a bunch of Skodas earlier in his career. Car design, particularly "futuristic EVs" look increasingly homogeneous. The kicked up flank move, the de-laminated headlight with a vent in it move, the laser-thin full width tail light move. Nobody is doing anything weird anymore :(
They literally look like they came in an IKEA flat pack, and they resemble basically every Volvo for the past 40 years. These two I suppose less so than the Polestar 1, 2, and O2, but still recognizable as Volvo-family cars. These things are right in line with Bauhaus and northern European design language for the past 80+ years so it is their lineage. You're right that it could have been designed by anybody else anywhere else but it wasn't because those brands are simply copying the regional style. I assume that you've noticed the trend over the past 20 years or so for car brands to simply give up their traditional regional design styles and start blurring the lines to the point of being unrecognizable. The Germans, especially BMW, have suffered badly from it.

Last edited:
They literally look like they came in an IKEA flat pack, and they resemble basically every Volvo for the past 40 years. These two I suppose less so than the Polestar 1, 2, and O2, but still recognizable as Volvo-family cars. These things are right in line with Bauhaus and northern European design language for the past 80+ years so it is their lineage. You're right that it could have been designed by anybody else anywhere else but it wasn't because those brands are simply copying the regional style. I assume that you've noticed the trend over the past 20 years or so for car brands to simply give up their traditional regional design styles and start blurring the lines to the point of being unrecognizable. The Germans, especially BMW, have suffered badly from it.
Just because it's white doesn't mean it came from IKEA. :lol:

I find myself disagreeing with almost every word in your post. This just looks like they saw that people really like Tesla and gestured to their design team "do that". You do realize that 40 years ago Volvos looked like this, right?

volvo.JPG

I just don't...

Polestar 5 will have up to 884hp.

Polestar reveals the Polestar 4 at the Shanghai Auto Show

Polestar-4-2023-Reveal-Featured.jpg

Polestar-4-2023-Reveal-Front.jpg

Polestar-4-2023-Reveal-Back.jpg

Polestar-4-2023-Reveal-Interior-Dash.jpg

“Rather than simply modifying an existing SUV, giving it a faster roofline, and as a result compromising elements like rear headroom and comfort, we have designed Polestar 4 from the ground up as a new breed of SUV coupé that celebrates rear occupant comfort,” he claims.

So while the most powerful dual-motor Polestar 4 runs a 102-kWh battery for a claimed range of 350 miles (WLTP), and is the most high-performance Polestar to date, all eyes are understandably on the car’s design—and the rear end in particular. Why? Because Polestar has got rid of the traditional rear window entirely.

Those in Glass Houses
Polestar has done it by embracing the capabilities of the high-definition screen that replaces the age-old rear-view mirror. This displays a real-time feed from a roof-mounted rear camera, and delivers a much broader field of vision.

The reason? In elongating the Polestar 4’s silhouette, the car’s aerodynamic properties have also been optimized, a key part of an EV’s range-extending armory. The 4 has an impressively slippery 0.26 drag coefficient. But it also enables a reimagining of the car’s rear compartment.

Extra Interior
Then there’s the interior. The 4 uses what Missoni loftily calls “soft tech,” inspired by sportswear and featuring new treatments for Polestar. There’s a tailored 3D-knit textile, which consists of 100 percent recycled PET (a form of polyester), codeveloped with the Swedish School of Textiles; bio-attributed MicroTech vinyl, which replaces crude oil with pine oil; and ethically sourced Nappa leather.

Polestar’s relationship with Google continues, and again encompasses built-in Google Assistant, Google Maps, and Google Play, while the infotainment system is powered by the Android Automotive OS. A 15.4-inch, landscape-oriented screen (no spinning tablets here) is the main focus of an otherwise minimalist cockpit.

Vehicle-to-Load Capability
Performance is impressive, if not quite intergalactic. Dual- and single-motor versions will be available, the long-range dual motor benefitting from a 544-bhp power output, for a 0 to 62 mph time of 3.8 seconds. That iteration also allows the driver to choose between performance or range modes, and it uses semi-active suspension to sharpen its dynamics.

The long-range single motor car has 272 bhp and a claimed range of 372 miles (WLTP). The Polestar 4 can also be specified with 22-inch wheels, the biggest fitted to a Polestar so far. Bidirectional charging is included, and there is vehicle-to-load capability. Up to 200-kW DC and 22-kW AC charging is included on all versions.

Interestingly, the 4 uses parent company Geely’s Sustainable Experience Architecture (SEA), an “open source” modular platform that also underpins the Zeekr 001, the company’s new all-electric brand. (It will also be used by the upcoming Smart electric SUV, as part of Mercedes’s joint venture with Geely.) The Polestar 3, meanwhile, uses the Volvo SPA 2 platform that’s also the basis for the new fully electric EX90.

Production begins at Geely’s Hangzhou Bay plant in China in November this year, although the Polestar 4 will also be manufactured at Volvo’s Ridgeville plant in South Carolina, ahead of a 2024 launch in Europe. Expect prices to start at around £55,000 ($68,283).

Hmm, no rear window. Would this classify it as a van?
Yeah not sure that’s legal in the US for a non-commercial vehicle. Weirdly, it’s got side mirrors which aren’t required in Europe but also no rear window which is required in the US. I bet that panel will be replaced with a window for us.

I really really like this thing.

Here's a picture of the interior

polestar-4.jpg

The rear has some sort of panel gap. I assume it's for the trunk, but it's weird that there appears to be a window shaped panel there as well. I feel like if they had to add a rear window, it would be pretty easy to put one there?

polestar-4.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah not sure that’s legal in the US for a non-commercial vehicle. Weirdly, it’s got side mirrors which aren’t required in Europe but also no rear window which is required in the US. I bet that panel will be replaced with a window for us.

I really really like this thing.
Mirrors are required in Europe. Rear window isn't

Images of the Polestar 5 at Goodwood

View attachment 1166539

View attachment 1166540
One year later, and we get more Goodwood photos of the Polestar 5, this time in "verification prototype" form

1689282579314.png

1689282659082.png

Latest Posts

Back