Poll: A time trial version of FIA races?

Would you enjoy playing this game mode if it were implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
breeminator
breeminator
I know many people would not enjoy what I am about to describe, but I'm interested in whether there are many people who, like me, would enjoy this game mode if it were implemented. Note that my question is not whether you'd prefer it to the current FIA races, but whether you'd enjoy it as an additional game mode, even if you'd prefer the current FIA races.

My suggestion is a game mode that is very much like the current FIA races, with a schedule of races at specific times, and a championship table based on points gained in those races. But it would differ in the following ways:

1. DR and SR would not affect it at all, as there would be no need for matchmaking.
2. Everyone would do the race solo without qualifying, at the same time. It would simply be a solo time trial where you drive the full race distance, with race tyre wear and fuel use, attempting to complete it in the quickest possible time.
3. Points would be awarded from 360 points for 1st down to 0 points for last, linearly interpolated in between based on the number of participants.
4. There would only be one slot per region, as it should be able to be implemented such that disconnects pretty much never happen. So there would be pressure to drive fast, but at the same time to not make any significant mistakes.
5. You'd get feedback while driving on how you're doing relative to everyone else doing it at the same time, e.g. it could wait 2 seconds after completing each sector then display the points you'd get for your current position, to allow a bit of time for everyone's data to complete the round trip.

So, it would be FIA racing, but without the slipstream or ramming or penalties for interactions with other cars.

The reason I'm suggesting this is I've come to realise I prefer practising for races to doing the actual races, because of the lottery of the slipstream qualifying, ramming and penalties in the races. I'm fully aware not everyone will agree, but I'm not suggesting getting rid of the door to door racing, just offering an alternative. I think there's more chance of them successfully implementing this suggestion than there is of them making the penalty system work well.

I can see the logic in this, however for me racing other drivers on the track is where the fun is.

If it was proposed to do the same exact online racing competition setup, just without any tyre or fuel wear, then definitely yes I’d be interested.

However, this proposal is to vote on “racing” alone like a rally stage. So not for me.

If it was proposed to do the same exact online racing competition setup, just without any tyre or fuel wear, then definitely yes I’d be interested.
For me, it's the tyre wear and fuel use that make it interesting. We already have leaderboards for a single lap without those, for each FIA race, so doing multiple laps like that would add a test of consistency, but having to deal with tyre wear and fuel use adds so much more.

I don't mind door to door racing when it's clean. I had some good practice lobbies last night where everyone was driving courteously. I just don't like when the result is decided by who is most willing to ram people out of their way, and I don't hold out much hope for the penalty system becoming satisfactory any time soon.

Latest Posts

Back