Your faves? Choose two...

• Wet Spa 1 hr

• Wet Sarthe 30 min

• Damp Tokyo 12 lap

• Dry Sardegna 15 lap

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wales
Wales
Until PD gets its act together and does something to equalise rewards across all the races we’re stuck with these four if we want to earn a half-decent return on time invested in the game. Seen these races discussed a lot across multiple threads, but wondering which are your favourites, and why. You can select two.

My faves are Tokyo and Sardegna. Spa is a bit too time-consuming for the way I play anyway (family TV in the living room) but I used to do the Sarthe one a lot, until I gave up on the weather - too often it’d ‘trick’ me into changing tyres when I didn’t need to (because the rain had passed/missed/disappeared by the time I exited the the pits), or else it’d rain and there’s always a 30 sec (1 min?) period when the track’s wet enough for your car to be uncontrollable but the AI plow on as normal on their RH or RM or whatever. Just annoying. This kind of thing was ruining maybe one-in-five of my races (I use stock Gr4 cars, nothing overpowered) by reducing my earnings, so I seldom do it now. If the radar was a bit better I’d go back to it.

Sardegna is easiest, I tend to use the stock 08 GT500 cars, RH, one-stopping (SC430 is best as it can do FM 1 all the way), as the Super GT cars are my faves in the game (Gr C excepted!) and PD’s given me sweet Fanny Adams to do with them otherwise. They’re very close the the Gr 3s anyway. I just wish they’d program the race to run at random times of day, rather than the same old boring ‘mid afternoon’ or whatever it is...

Tokyo is my absolute fave. Challenging (I play hard level on controller, x and square) and fun, and you can try out so many road cars. Again, my only complaint is the time of day; I’d much, much, much prefer it at night when Tokyo looks beautiful, not grey and dull. Or at random times of day, at least. Recently won it a few times in a completely stock 17 GTR, which required almost perfect driving (for me) and is probably the best experience of racing I’ve had in the game other than some of the one-off enduro missions or the occasional chilli pepper races.

Last edited:
Tokyo is my favourite. I hated it at first, was the last race I did. I felt uncomfrotabke on sports tyres, in the wet, with tail happy sports cars on a narrow racing line... just made for a cocktail of frustration.

However, I feel I have since improved at the game and feel like this is the most engaging of the events for a healthy payout.

I don't enjoy the process of grinding so something like Sardegna, while comparatively straightforward, is boring to me. I'd rather be engaged for the duration of the race, fighting or fending off competition. Tokyo offers that with a more interesting, challenging and diverse class of vehicle; vehicles that aren't just pin (the gas) and win - I recently did S-10 and think Tokyo has had a big hand in what ended up being a relatively straight-forward Gold of that license. It took me days, and assists, before. It took me less than a couple of hours this time round, hitting many strong silvers en route.

Why rewards should be equalised?

A Clubman 450 race winable with a 12k car stock should be rewarded the same Cr/minute than a Gr. 1 race, with cars starting at 1 mil and some parts to be bought (at least inters and wet tires). Also it's perfectly normal to have blue ribbon events with out of the groove prize moneys.
For example Nascar has purse moneys ranging from a little over 1 million dollars in some races to over 20 millions at Daytona 500. Shockingly the fall race at the same track as a purse money about 8 times less than the opening Daytona 500.

I used to do the Sarthe one a lot, until I gave up on the weather - too often it’d ‘trick’ me into changing tyres when I didn’t need to
At Sarthe/any race where there is intermittent rain you need to use the weather radar. To find it push left on the D-Pad until you see a screen that vaguely resembles a weather map, same place you find brake bias, fuel map, etc. I think after 1.18 it is now zoomed all the way in so you can see the outline of the course you're on. When on this screen press down on the d-pad to zoom out as far as possible.

Once that's set it's just about knowing when to pit for wets and when to stay on hards for the 3rd lap. If the cloud pattern is green and spotty, stay on hards. If it's fairly solid green go to inters or full wet tires. If there are any areas shaded blue that are tracking towards you, always go straight to full wet tires. If I need wets at all I usually go straight to full wet. Inter's have good traction but they're worn-out after one lap unless you drive in the puddles on the margins of the track.

Sardegna is my #1 because of all the different cars that can be used there, the track never gets boring for me personally and it only takes 24-25 mins to complete.

Sarthe is my #2 because of all the different cars that can be used there and it’s weather is somewhat unpredictable which provides a nice challenge in terms of pit strategy. This track tends to get a little boring and I find myself watching the timer countdown often even though I know 90% of the time I need to go 7 laps to finish.

Watkins has quickly become a favorite of mine though, even with lower payout. It’s the quickest of the 3 and is a very fun track for a multitude of cars.

I run the WTC World Series championship (or whatever it’s called) before I’ll run the 1 hour Spa. Total time and payout is similar for both, but championship gets split up over different tracks so it seems like it goes faster and doesn’t get boring like Spa does.

Why rewards should be equalised?

A Clubman 450 race winable with a 12k car stock should be rewarded the same Cr/minute than a Gr. 1 race, with cars starting at 1 mil and some parts to be bought (at least inters and wet tires). Also it's perfectly normal to have blue ribbon events with out of the groove prize moneys.
For example Nascar has purse moneys ranging from a little over 1 million dollars in some races to over 20 millions at Daytona 500. Shockingly the fall race at the same track as a purse money about 8 times less than the opening Daytona 500.

Not all of them should. But a 10 lap 800 race should pay 2/3 of a 15 lap 800 race, broadly speaking. And a 5 lapper should pay 1/3.

There should be lots and lots more races at 800, 700 and 600 (and 950!) paying the same rates as the Big 4. Certain tracks like Monza, Interlagos and Bathurst are criminally under-utilised and even if the tracks do have events they don’t have payouts anywhere near the Big 4.

Not all of them should. But a 10 lap 800 race should pay 2/3 of a 15 lap 800 race, broadly speaking. And a 5 lapper should pay 1/3.

There should be lots and lots more races at 800, 700 and 600 (and 950!) paying the same rates as the Big 4. Certain tracks like Monza, Interlagos and Bathurst are criminally under-utilised and even if the tracks do have events they don’t have payouts anywhere near the Big 4.
I don't think it's the amount of laps that should dictate the pay-out - distance/time covered over the event is a better metric to use to balance the pay-outs. So if one event is 100 miles, a 50 mile event should be half the pay-out, essentially...

I don't think it's the amount of laps that should dictate the pay-out - distance/time covered over the event is a better metric to use to balance the pay-outs. So if one event is 100 miles, a 50 mile event should be half the pay-out, essentially...
Yeah, I know what you mean, and agree. All I’m really saying is there needs to be some kind of rough like-for-like balancing to give us more choices. The finer details should be worked out by PD, because as things stand their ‘balance’ is atrocious and these four are really the only sane options for anyone at all interested in trying to build up the bank for car collecting.

I would enjoy Tokyo a LOT more if the penalties weren't so absurd. Between the rain and narrow track (no curbs/run off) I feel like AWD cars are mandatory in order to not go crazy with frustration.
Agreed. When I run Tokyo it’s almost always with an AWD or I’m running tons of TCS and even braking markers which I never use on any other event. I’m ok with hitting the wall penalties, but not when I barely scrape the wall for a millisecond ever so slightly. It’s not a high speed or violent collision by any means. There have been a couple times where I question if I even actually touched the wall at all but got penalized anyway.

At Sarthe/any race where there is intermittent rain you need to use the weather radar. To find it push left on the D-Pad until you see a screen that vaguely resembles a weather map, same place you find brake bias, fuel map, etc. I think after 1.18 it is now zoomed all the way in so you can see the outline of the course you're on. When on this screen press down on the d-pad to zoom out as far as possible.

Once that's set it's just about knowing when to pit for wets and when to stay on hards for the 3rd lap. If the cloud pattern is green and spotty, stay on hards. If it's fairly solid green go to inters or full wet tires. If there are any areas shaded blue that are tracking towards you, always go straight to full wet tires. If I need wets at all I usually go straight to full wet. Inter's have good traction but they're worn-out after one lap unless you drive in the puddles on the margins of the track.
In all fairness that weather radar isn’t exactly an accurate indicator of track conditions (at least at Sarthe) as far as needing to consider tire changes due to rain. I have always used the weather radar on this event and it’s always been unreliable. It’s not uncommon for it to show the rain is still miles away from the track and it’s already raining and the track surface water indicator thing is already at the first bar and climbing.
I also routinely encounter situations where the radar shows light rain based on their color coding and it’s actually a heavy downpour.
I’ve had races where laps 3-7 the radar shows moderate to heavy rain over the entire track but the track stays only damp, and good enough for slicks and I’ve also had times where it shows a small patch of light rain only and its a heavy downpour for 2 straight laps and full Wets are required to move anywhere above 50mph.
It got to the point where I would pit and put on IM as soon as I saw rain anywhere close to the track and make them last the rest of race via bumping up TCS and using lean FM and engine braking before the chicanes and the turn leaving the back straight, which isn’t very fun to run that conservative. Fortunately the rain only ever starts (if it’s going to) after lap 2 and you only need to pit once when running a Gr.3 if you set your FM right.

I like the variable/dynamic weather, but they really need to improve the weather radar and wind indicator to be accurate and more reliable. The wind indicator always shows wind blowing in the opposite direction the rain is moving in from which is almost never the case in the real world.

Spa is my favourite. Mostly with the Castrol Tom's Supra or the Pennzoil GTR GT500 cars, or the Subaru BRZ GT300. I like the variety of the weather and the 24 hour cycle.

I agree with you on this 100 percent.

I would like to also add that there needs to be races or a race, for exotic cars that have pp ratings matched only by race cars right now. I have tried to race a LaFerrari against 800pp Gr3 cars and its not very easy to win. There are a number of high horsepower exotics and custom builds that should be able to race against other high horsepower street cars, not race cars.

Agreed. When I run Tokyo it’s almost always with an AWD or I’m running tons of TCS and even braking markers which I never use on any other event. I’m ok with hitting the wall penalties, but not when I barely scrape the wall for a millisecond ever so slightly. It’s not a high speed or violent collision by any means. There have been a couple times where I question if I even actually touched the wall at all but got penalised anyway.

The penalty level is based on the fact if you had a proper damage system, every one of these brushes would result on a DNF or a seriously crippled car for the rest of the race.
That being said, it's pretty frustrating to get penalties because of the stupid AI cars putting you on the wall.
Apart from that you can get away with pretty much any side brush with the walls and even sometimes a little more than a brush, just not head on or front quarter impacts. A car I used a couple of times was the RWD Nissan Silvia Touring Car on Sports Hard and brushed the outside wall between 1 and 2 and the fast SS before the final hairpin several times without penalties

you know what my fave is

Attachments

• 12003CCD-E818-4F22-9F1E-30ED5859BC26.jpeg
    12003CCD-E818-4F22-9F1E-30ED5859BC26.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 14
Back