Rush_Presto.jpg

Rush_roll_the_bones.jpg

Rush_Counterparts.jpg

Rush_Test_for_Echo.jpg

Rush_Vapor_Trails.jpg

Rush_Feedback.jpg

440px-Snakesandarrows.jpg

Rush_Clockwork_Angels_artwork.png

3 guys (and John), 20 studio albums, 32 music videos and 40+ years in the business.
They're legends.

I went to see them on their Time Machine tour on May 6, 2011 and they played
26 songs that evening! They just kept on going and going.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2011/ericsson-globe-stockholm-sweden-7bd3fab8.html
bigOriginal.jpg

* The poll will not have an expiration date.
* Single choice only.
* You are allowed to change your vote.

Feel free to embed and discuss your favorite Rush videos, songs and albums.

It seems like it would be easier to pick a favorite kid than what Rush album is the best.

It seems like it would be easier to pick a favorite kid than what Rush album is the best.

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice. ; )
@1:09

Funny because Permanent Waves is the album I voted on.
You're right, it's not an easy choice to pick out their best album.

Waves was pretty much the last thing they recorded in the 70s.
Recorded between September and October of 1979 and released
three months later in 1980.

Only 6 tracks and 35 minutes but the quality makes up for it in spades.
I like the album cover art as well.

The 70s is my favorite era but 1980 was an incredible year in music with
lots of great albums being released;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_in_music#Albums_released

Can I choose all of them? :lol:
In all seriousness, it's either 2112 or Moving Pictures for me.
Edit: I listened to every album and I've decided that Fly By Night is my favourite.

Last edited:
I've been listening to all the CDs I have whenever I drive somewhere for the past two months. I've been going alphabetically by artist, and over the weekend, I listened to the two Rush albums I had. I have Moving Pictures and Vapor Trails. Of these two, Moving Pictures is the better album, because there's only one song that I thought was "eh" and I liked the rest of them. Vapor Trails had one song I really liked, but the other twelve songs were "eh". Songs I've heard from other albums that I really liked were Roll The Bones, Freewill, and Fly By Night.

Look at @JockeP22, asking the hard questions.

Well Jocke of all people knows how big of a Rush fan I am, so yeah, it really is easier to pick a favorite child than a favorite Rush album. I think the first Rush album I truly fell in love with was Fly By Night. Hell, I was even considering getting the owl tattooed on my wrist. But after years of listening to Rush, my favorites have switched and swapped back and forth. Power Windows, A Farewell to Kings, Grace Under Pressure, so on. I think the closest I could possibly get to picking my favorite is by picking my favorite from an era, and even that would be heartbreaking. But for now, I'm putting my vote in for Signals, since it's sitting on my record player right now.

And if you want some goofy live stuff:

I'm also a big Rush fan thanks to my dad who is too.

Fly By Night is the one I know best as I have fond memories of seeing the cover in the record collection (usually at the front) but I remember the music being played all the time.

The song I have really frond memories of though is not from Fly By Night but from Carress Of Steel and that's Bastille Day.

My Rush vinyl so far.

m6tDp08.jpg

A few duplicates, but I don't mind owning them, of course!
The second Fly By Night, in the back,is the only remastered reissue during the R40 tour that I own. The rest are original pressings.

Also, I have a small little Rush shrine on the wall next to my PC :lol:
lNTZBu1.jpg

My old man started to re-buy the albums on CD at one point. I also got him R30 & R40 on DVD & Bluray respectively.

Geddy along with Jon Anderson & Fish have the best male vocals I've heard.

Anyone seen "I Love you man" film? (More than likely a daft question) lots of Rush in that film and it's quite enjoyable too.

I have a small little Rush shrine
Nice.

I have 1 vinyl, 14 CD's, been to one concert (Time Machine tour, 2011) and spent countless hours
listening to their songs.

I was probably around 14 when I heard Closer to the Heart on the radio,
not knowing who the singer was or what band it was.
My current favorite album is Caress and I never grow tired of listening to the half hour that
is The Necromancer / The Fountain of Lamneth.

My dad has an extensive vinyl collection with everything from Zeppelin to Uriah Heep,
from Styx to Nazareth, from Kiss to Rainbow to Deep Purple to Scorpions... lots of great 70s stuff but
with two huge omissions. Rush and Sabbath. I have asked him why he never got any of their records
and he's never been able to give me a straight answer.
I've added to his collection since with bands like Camel, Yes, Wishbone Ash, Jefferson A and other 70s prog rock.

My favorite live performance of Rush;

Great Peart interview;

Being a fellow motorcycle rider I especially enjoy what Peart says
at 12:25 because I know what he's talking about.

Being a fellow motorcycle rider I especially enjoy what Peart says
at 12:25 because I know what he's talking about.
Hearing what Peart has to say about traveling and motorcycling in general has made me even more interested in motorcycling. I have to pick up one of his books soon and give it a read. Then, buy a R1200GS ;)

Anyone have any experience with this?

A Passage To Syrinx

I'm wondering what the quality is going to be like.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Best of all its blue vinyl with glitter in it.

The problem with this thread is that it's VERY hard to pick the best Rush album, because they're all very good. I was torn between Signals and Moving Pictures because they were my first Rush albums I listened to when I was younger. In the end, I think I'll stick with Moving Pictures, and that's only because YYZ was a well made song.

It's funny listening to Peart at 18:02

because most musicians, actors and authors are the same way
in that they dislike their early work. Or if not dislike then at least
prefer their latest stuff.

Ronnie James Dio was the same way and I remember
an interview where he said he'd like to bundle all the records he
made prior to Elf and Rainbow in a box and blow them all up.
The word he used to describe it was 'wimpy', that it sounded like
a wimp singing and that he became so much different that he hated his
early work. I've listened to everything he did before Elf and while I understand
what he's talking about I actually like it. He made some nice songs even back then.

I don't know if it equates but it's the same being a forumite I guess
in that you can look back on posts you made years ago and cringe at
what you wrote.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Never seen it before but that castle reminds me of two other
album covers. Rainbow's debut album and also Nazareth's No Mean City.

nazareth-no-mean-city-rear.jpg

Anyone buying this?

IMG_6792.JPG

Rush - 2112 super deluxe edition

Limited Edition Velvet Lined Box Set
  • Abbey Road remaster on CD for 1st time
  • Rare, live & unreleased content + newly-recorded tracks from 2112 by Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Alice In Chains & MORE
  • DVD: Newly restored ‘76 Capitol Theatre gig + new Alex Lifeson interview + MORE
  • LPs: 200-gram, 2015 hologram & new custom etching + Starman turntable mat
  • New Hugh Syme art + liner notes by Rob Bowman
  • Exclusive collectibles: 2 lithos, ’76 Massey Hall handbill reprint & 3 buttons
Exclusive Super Deluxe Bonus Items
  • Original Hugh Syme STARMAN Pencil Sketch Litho
  • Massey Hall June 1976 Ticket Stub Litho
  • Massey Hall June 1976 Handbill
  • Three Collector Buttons

I clicked on the wrong album. I chose Grace Under Pressure, but meant to choose Power Windows. Adding synths wasn't them jumping on the latest bandwagon or giving up on the big sound that served them so well. It was them facing the '80s head on. Synths gave the band more depth and allowed Geddy Lee to do more than just shriek like a banshee. The songs were lyrically powerful and the sound was as big as ever. Some of the synths sound dated today, but that's true of just about every album from that period. Power Windows was a bold statement from Rush that they could adapt and still rock as hard as ever.

I clicked on the wrong album. I chose Grace Under Pressure, but meant to choose Power Windows. Adding synths wasn't them jumping on the latest bandwagon or giving up on the big sound that served them so well. It was them facing the '80s head on. Synths gave the band more depth and allowed Geddy Lee to do more than just shriek like a banshee. The songs were lyrically powerful and the sound was as big as ever. Some of the synths sound dated today, but that's true of just about every album from that period. Power Windows was a bold statement from Rush that they could adapt and still rock as hard as ever.
Grace is no slouch, though.

Back