[POLL]GT5 menu layout

  • Thread starter Thread starter sdgseed
  • 27 comments
  • 2,357 views

Which menu layout do you like?

  • Traditional menu with the map layout (GT 1~4)

    Votes: 33 20.4%
  • It is fine the way it is (GT 5)

    Votes: 61 37.7%
  • A hybrid of the two?

    Votes: 13 8.0%
  • More user friendly menu

    Votes: 55 34.0%

  • Total voters
    162
Messages
6
Messages
sdgseed
I've been playing gt series ever since the first one. When i started playing gt5, i was kinda surprised by the menu layout. I wouldn't say it's the worst, but it's not the best either. I'm pretty sure everyone have the experience of going into an event and with the wrong car, then had to get a new car and oil change every single time.

This isn't a compliant or anything, but just a thought. it be cool if the traditional menu were brought back (map style) or a more user friendly menu layout.

(1)Traditional map style menu
(2)It is fine the way it is
(3)hybrid?
(4)A more user friendly menu
 
I like the new menu because its very straightforward. but they really need to kill this loading times. i sometimes buy 20 standard cars on a day and i want them all tuned, oil changed and tested on various circuits but it takes ages! Why can't we skip the oil animation? or check a box on multiple cars to "mass oil change". I would like to know how a HD map style gt game plays tho.
 
No stay away from the maps.

Cut down on some of the shine to make it faster and add short cuts so I can get back to the main menu with out having to exit 5/6 sub folders

I dont know what you mean by more user friendly, it's not hard to find what you want so I cant see how you can make it more user friendly. Speed has nothing to do with user friendliness if thats what you meant
 
The maps were awful, gt5 is easy and quick to read. I don't have to search a map looking for an item. I would like them to get rid of pointless windows that I have only 1 option to click. I know the item is installed why do i need to press okay again?
 
They could get rid of the bloody delivery menu
 
I think they should have a dedicated garage, tune shop, and GT Auto icon for every folder much like the home icon. That way, instead of going all the way out to change a car we can simply do it from the event menu for example.I don't think they can do much on the loading time, but at least with those four icons we can navigate alot faster.
 
Anything to speed things up, I don't care if it looks like DOS.

However these menus aren't just slow, they look like something from a mid 90's game.

Whatever, just too slow.
 
Once you learn your way around, it works quite well. I just think it could use some hot key buttons for the Garage and Tune Shop.
 
I think they should have a dedicated garage, tune shop, and GT Auto icon for every folder much like the home icon. That way, instead of going all the way out to change a car we can simply do it from the event menu for example.I don't think they can do much on the loading time, but at least with those four icons we can navigate alot faster.

The garage icon already exists at event menus, but I agree.
 
I love the menu system but I can see why others don't - some parts are cramped or counter-intuitive.

I am, however, a personal lover of the awesome (though perhaps even more counter-intuitive) 'map' layout from GT1-4. If there was a way to incorporate this while still keeping the online functionality close at hand, the menus would be pretty much perfect.
 
The menu system in GT5 seems very cluttered to me. I mean, it's eye candy, yeah, but it lacks functionality. Add to that that the loading times are through the roof and I'd rather go with a more basic menu system.

Don't get me wrong, I can find my way round and all, but... You know, miss a click, and you're watching loading screens for the next minute.
 
Its fine to me.. people are so picky about one small thing..
 
The menus could definitely use an update. They look primitive and they're inconvenient to navigate through. I don't want any stupid animated rubbish, just something streamlined and modern looking, with some thought put into how people tend to navigate through them.
 
I would have thought that PD would have a map menu because it is part of the GT series. Its not unique to GT but it does make it stand out.

I can see why they changed it though. Many people hated looking for what they wanted and having to move around the map.

I dont understand why there is such long load times between screens (its only a few seconds, but its very annoying when getting more than 1 car out of the car delivery system). It is only a page with options on it after all. Surely all menu pages can be held in the ram of the PS3 while shifting through the menus. And then the change of page would be almost instant I believe....
 
Main menu is fine how it is IMO, much better than 4.
Some of the sub menus are a bit hatstand though - why does it list the tyres in the tuning menu and then not let you select them? Oh, no that's the other menu's job mate, you can't do that here.
I would have expected the music volume to be under the music menu, or perhaps race options, it took me days to find it buried under "hardware" I mean, eh? :dunce:
 
I like the new one a lot more than the old menus...it is more stylish.

But on the other hand you need too long ways to get from one point to another and you need to click a lot.

So I voted for the last one.
 
GT4's menu was my favourite, so that idea would've been nice.

The only thing that annoys me is that final long pause and "bddddllliiiing!" when you get to the 'Home' icon. :mad:
 
The menu in GT5 is probably the most user-unfriendly menu ever in a GT:
1. Those ridiculous loading times
2. After going to the dealership and buying a car, why redirect to the main menu? We usually buy more than one car in one go.
3. Online, it's annoying that you have to open the lobby again after leaving a room.
4. There's too much flicking involved to get where you want to go, GT4 was better in that aspect.
 
The menus are crap. Nothing is neatly arranged, but rather you have to chase the cursor around as it jumps to random locations around the screen. Often you can't even simply back out of a menu with a simple press of Circle but rather Circle just sends you to another part of the current menu and at some point you have to confirm that you actually do want to back out of that menu. It's unnecessary and clunky.
 
I hate it. I want the World Map back.
 
Remove redundent menu steps as noted by others

I thought that is what you meant by 'more user friendly', thus my vote :)
 
The stupid part is that it loads the same OLD STALE music for just about every menu. Used car dealer song, New car dealership song, garage song, car delivery music.. beginning race songs.. WTF SONY!?
Then it loads an entirely different BGM song when you get back to the main menu. All that song loading takes some time too. Just give us the option to turn all those specific songs off and just keep the same BGM playing.

Oh, and having to "back out" to main menu to go anywhere is slow and redundant. Just have a slide out menu on the side everywhere.. So you could go directly to UCD from an A-Spec race, or directly to GT-Auto or tune shop from New car dealer.. Basically go anywhere FROM anywhere, and with no menu specific music, the load times would have to be less, along with option to turn off some silly animations.

I think PD are sadistic though, and love to torcher people with redundancy, forced song repetition (like Chinese water torcher - that "kids singing" hideous song before races), and needlessly repetitive and slow loading screens. I really think the get a kick out of making millions of people feel like tearing their hair out dealing with these menus.


So I voted... "More user friendly menu"
 
Call me crazy, but I like the new menu.

As much as I loved GT4, I hated the map.

Wish PD would do away with the delivery thing though. Just about as stupid and pointless as it gets :(
 
I like the menu as it is, but like you mentioned, they should have the tuning shop and the gt auto together with the garage before a race. I hate going back to the main menu just to get new tyres or an oil change.
 
It is fine as it is, a better system than we've had before, but it needs to be refined.

The main screen is too cluttered;they need to remove the car delivery system entirely (the level/1000 tickets don't even need it), encorporate the OCD into the UCD, and reorganise the "blocks" so the Open Lounge and Seasonal Events buttons can be in line with the style. I think the Garage, Photo Album, etc. menus and the car settings are good, the sorting options and the triangle button sub-menus are useful

The UCD needs good sorting options, we all know the load times need to be improved across the board. They also need to sort some of the annoyances, like being pushed back to the main screen when you buy a car.
 
Last edited:
The main screen is too cluttered

WAYYYY to cluttered. To the point, IMHO, to completely negate the themes that you select during set up. So many boxes and large-ish detailed 'icons' to click upon, you see nothing in the background. The 'Home' should be quick and dirty navigation with the ability to use your photomode pics as the background.

The way it is now... I just want it totally black as everything else is soooo busy. PD needs to hire some usability experts pronto.
 
Awful. No other word for it.

The real problem is that there is no consistency.

A-spec, Seasonal, Special Events, Licenses - These things are all similar in their purpose (to use a car and complete a task,) yet they are all laid out COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY. Why?

Sometimes circle is "back", but other times it simply moves the cursor to the "home" icon and you have to then push X to go back. Why?

If the cursor is on one object and I move to the right, it goes to the object to the right. If I then move to the left, shouldn't it go back to the object I was on before? Is that too much to ask for?

The "car delivery" and tuning shop are the worst offenders of all. Car delivery is utterly pointless and defies comprehension. Tuning garage is an exercise in "lets see how long it takes me and how many button-presses it takes to outfit my car with the parts I want." The "confirmation clicks" in this menu are far beyond excessive.



To all the people who think it's "fine the way it is," imagine for a few moments that you had to navigate the desktop of your computer in a similar manner and you'll realize how poor the design really is.
 
Back