[POLL] It is 2016, What do you think of Driveclub... Now?

• Thread starter Akwaaba
  • 28 comments

What do you think of Drive Club?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United Kingdom
London/Malaysia/Tunisia
Waizon/v8stage1/
Recently bought Drive Club, purely as it was the cheapest racing game available in the Playstation Store. I did read a few reviews, but to be honest, I bought a PS4 because of the impending release of GT Sport (well the beta version). I found the information about DC to be a little sparse and outdated. So I wonder what those on here actually think of the game.

For the poll, please select the option that best fits. It would be awesome if, in the comments, you can state what you think are the current positives and negatives.

I had a PS4 years ago, but sold it before moving countries. Been using GT5 and GT6 over the last 12 months. They are the only games I play. Other racing games have been tried, but just have not caught my attention.

So bought DC a couple of days ago, with the season pass. here are my initial thoughts.

Positives
- Amazing graphics, really beautiful
- So cars can sound great?
- And you can customise the livery
- it is really nice to have a completely new set of tracks to explore
- so many exciting recently launched cars to use
- so many events to chose from
- create your own challenge and share with others

Negatives
- the biggest so far (for me), is that cars feel like they have no weight to them. It is not how much grip they have, but it feels like gravity has reduced. They feel a bit too floaty!
- It is more arcade than sim for my liking. Other than some driving options with brake and steering assist not many things you can do to change how a car feels (well other than using the controller)
- no car modifications or tuning
- it is not Gran Turismo (something about GT suits me!)

What do you think?
I would recommend DC, I am enjoying it.

Last edited:
Still one of the best racing games on PS4 because it's just so much fun.

The only sort of negatives to me are really personal based niggles:
  • Active aero on the LaFerrari and FXX K doesn't work properly
  • Some cars not given option to put custom liveries on.
  • The #UniteInSpeed Trophy series is less than liked
Negatives
- the biggest so far (for me), is that cars feel like they have no weight to them. It is not how much grip they have, but it feels like gravity has reduced. They feel a bit too floaty!
- It is more arcade than sim for my liking. Other than some driving options with brake and steering assist not many things you can do to change how a car feels (well other than using the controller)

The game was never designed to be a sim like GT. I've been perfectly fine adapting to the physics on the DS4.

Also, the game is getting a Hardcore Mode in the next update this month which turns the driving assists off.

Currently I'd say it is the best arcade racer on PS4 ATM.

Positives:
Impressive car list
Amazing graphics
Fun handling
Constant updates
Extremely well priced DLC

Negatives:
Forced assists (but this can be changed in the next update anyway)
"Custom liveries" can't really be customized, just preset liveries.

The game was never designed to be a sim like GT. I've been perfectly fine adapting to the physics on the DS4.
Also, the game is getting a Hardcore Mode in the next update this month which turns the driving assists off.

I did realise that it was designed to be more arcade and probably should have said in the OP
I am getting used to the physics, and am loving the game. Especially because the cars all look fantastic and make a great sound.

Having had the game since pre-order and seen all the changes being done by evolution the game has been transformed, It was a little harsh for all the attacks in the beginning but it was also a bad decision to release it early unfinished so they couldn't win with pressure from Sony or the customers who had been waiting an extra year.

So positives so far:

• Fastest and most realistic feel of speed when in cockpit view and rain
  • Weather-Dynamic and time lapsing clouds very realistic
  • Graphical detail-close up and the FOV and Scenery
  • Great 'Different' Countries and tracks for a change
  • Point 2 Points, Challenges and TTs addicitive
  • MP is easy to jump in to and send challenges
  • Easy to pick up and play, Menus easy to use and the arcade handling I found one of the best
  • Very Fast loading times-You can be racing and half way through a lap by the time Pcars or NFS has finished loading up etc
  • Car choice (now has plenty with DLC and a great selection of 'rare cars'
  • Tours are good Fun & great value as is all DLC
  • Communication on updates and problems by Evo- Outstanding
  • Fun! and not boring after a year - Having played a few different games recently and jumping back in to it- It feels great to thrash the cars fast and to the max- you just don't get this any other game - Even Pcars doesn't feel as engaging.
  • Photomode-! One of the best (If not the best graphics on any console yet)
  • Bikes add on is one of the best value DLC and the best Bike games I have played for speed
  • Engine sounds are great and realistic
  • You can play solo 'OFFLINE' !! Which is great if my internet is down
Negatives so far : (not many-only niggles really)

• More liveries, and options on all cars and Bikes or real manufacturer decals would be nice so you could put AMG or M power stripes on the detailed cars not just stripes and stars etc
  • No save settings on photomode so if you move the car 10m you have to adjust all the settings again
  • Replays could have more views and trailer like with the graphics available
  • No option to get in the car, start it, look around- I think this would have been great before a race to stand outside the cars and have the option to walk round open doors or press the revs and then flick between or jump in a car on the grid of your choice not in the garage (as the trailers sort of showed) this was cut to a 1 sec jump in.

I am sure there are loads I missed but overall the best arcade/semi-sim racer on the PS4 and it will take a lot to beat it or me not to play it for something else for a quick race, photomode, challenge or 'one more go to beat a challenge (or not as is the case with you guys!!) :gtpflag:

I highly recommend DC. It's the best racer out there for PS4 and it's great fun. Dev still support it very well (DC continues as a service). If you are looking for a less simulated approach DC is a must buy. If you are more into simulation I would recommend that one gives it a try.

Thought I’d throw in my thoughts on Driveclub. I’ve been with DC from the very beginning, from the broken game right through to the game that stands before us today.

The Positives:

· Photo Mode (the best in any game)

· The Selection of Cars Available (and bikes oops)

· The Tracks (some of the best designed tracks, just beautiful to look at)

· The Weather (I can still recall the first time I saw this on my TV)

· The Challenges (sending and taking part)

· Sprint Challenges

· Leader boards ( I love nothing more than taking any car and track and doing lap after lap)

· The shear variety of ways you can play DC

· Private Lobbies (with the right people it’s epic racing)

· The Tour Mode (so much so I completed it twice)

· The Feel of the Cars ( some have commented of the floaty feel, I don’t know what they’re driving)

· The Thing that elevates it about the competition is Evo Studios relationship with its players (this is something that the smug ***** over at SMS could definitely learn from if for a moment they can take their head from their backsides)

The Negatives:

· Elite Levels (they are no harder than the tour mode in some case they are easier)

· Cars? (no Evo’s, Scooby’s, Police Cars,.......no sign of Del Boy’s Robin big black mark)

· Weather (the snow model is wrong)

· “drum roll”......... the Ramming Tool Bags that populate mp

· Lack of new tracks (more incoming though)

These are my views on a game that I regard as the best I’ve ever played in its genre, I’ve played most on console MSR, PGR, Forza, Project Cars, MotoGP, F1, some Gran Turismo, Crash Team Racing and so on, you may well have a different view.

Update to the Negatives: The cheating bitches in Time Trials wall riders and farmers, it should be an instant track reset for going so far off track that is reasonable in normal circumstances.

Last edited:
"DC is good, more positives than negatives"

Some Positives:

For me the best part of this game is the hard time trials, So much fun trying to shave off 4 seconds and you think "how on earth im i going to do this" then down to 2 seconds then 1.8,1.5,1.2,1.1,1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0,0.8.0.5,0.2,0.1 Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss!
Graphics are stunning at times especially overcast and rain conditions
Sound is good for the most part
Dashboard cam is good
Plenty of DLC to play after completing the Vanilla game
Bikes (yet to use them but everything i have read is positive)
Very cheap to buy if not already

Some Negatives:

Tracks are not very memorable especially put up against the great PGR tracks - SMS recently brought out Bannochbrae which is similar to DC tracks but it's way better and more like a PGR track
Really weird handling at first (once used to it becomes fun'ish but it's put alot of people off from playing further)
Online is a mess, constant crashing even when your racing with friends
6v6 clubs instead of everyone for themselves
Not a fan of cockpit view especially when using a wheel
No City locations (until now but still just one)
Mini games going round the track...Lets just race!!

Posted the OP after using the game for 24 hours. 48 hours further on, and having a blast.

Unsurprising that the poll, so far, would be massively positive.
What it also shows, is either the poll is uninteresting, or that the support for DriveClub is quite small as others have moved onto other games?? I'd be interested to find more out about numbers of current players

So far, set up a club, completed and set up challenges and now have unlocked the LaFerrari. (Set up challenges using Ferraris - surprised how quickly I got through levels 1 - 5). Next is to unlock the remaining cars (I don't like having features denied access - so everything Mercedes next! - hello AMG tour!)

Have got used to the floaty feel of the cars, loving the noises the cars make and the graphics still impress.
Hardly advanced through the tours - and having bought the season pass, I must have hundreds of events to get through. But I guess (?) that these tour events can be recreated in the challenges anyway?

I really like how you get a realistic target in the drift and time trials.

So far a very good game. New seasonals in GT6 today and am more excited about the DC update coming out today. Can't see me firing up the PS3 to play GT6 which is very weird for me!

The only long term downside for DriveClub is the number of tracks, partly because I have an irrational dislike of point to point events. Maybe DC will cure this failing I have?

Posted the OP after using the game for 24 hours. 48 hours further on, and having a blast.

Unsurprising that the poll, so far, would be massively positive.
What it also shows, is either the poll is uninteresting, or that the support for DriveClub is quite small as others have moved onto other games?? I'd be interested to find more out about numbers of current players

So far, set up a club, completed and set up challenges and now have unlocked the LaFerrari. (Set up challenges using Ferraris - surprised how quickly I got through levels 1 - 5). Next is to unlock the remaining cars (I don't like having features denied access - so everything Mercedes next! - hello AMG tour!)

Have got used to the floaty feel of the cars, loving the noises the cars make and the graphics still impress.
Hardly advanced through the tours - and having bought the season pass, I must have hundreds of events to get through. But I guess (?) that these tour events can be recreated in the challenges anyway?

I really like how you get a realistic target in the drift and time trials.

So far a very good game. New seasonals in GT6 today and am more excited about the DC update coming out today. Can't see me firing up the PS3 to play GT6 which is very weird for me!

The only long term downside for DriveClub is the number of tracks, partly because I have an irrational dislike of point to point events. Maybe DC will cure this failing I have?
If i remember right they made the Time Trials much easier, There was a couple when the game got released and a DLC time trial that were really hard...But to many complained and they increased times.

Now that version 1.26 with hardcore mode has been released. Would you change your vote? Would you change your list of positives and negatives?

Not being able to hardcore on or off on the fly is quite frustrating,
Practising drifting, or new lines through corners can get punished very heavily with hardcore mode on.
As I'm new to the game, and not a very competitive gamer (I usually only play for a hour or so a week), maybe hardcore mode isn't for me right now?

Hardcore mode makes drifting much smoother and the races a bit more balanced. But, it is not good for laptimes. I use it to have fun. Cars like the P1 GTR and the Caterham sp-300 (the big catheram) is still easy to control with the hardcore mode on.

For me, Driveclub is far and away the best racing game on the PS4. Yes, at launch it was in utterly sickening conditions, made even worse by the non-working online features. However, Evolution has managed to do the game justice with constant updates and made it in my opinion their own magnum opus. For me, it doesn't even deserve its Metacritic score of a measly 71 - it should be around 85-90. But let's go into more detail:
  • Car and bike selection - If you're a fan of supercars then DC is the game for you. With widowmakers such as the P1, the Veneno, and the Agera, this is a game that doesn't disappoint when it comes to cars. The bike roster isn't any worse, either; for me, it's just missing some Suzuki (albeit that will be addressed) and Triumph bikes.
  • Graphic detail - Not a big surprise right there. Best part is that despite the immense detail, the game only takes 10-15 seconds to load a track.
  • Gameplay and competitiveness - DC is by far the most competitive game I've played in quite some time, I'd say it wouldn't be out of place in eSports circles, such as the MLG. It's a game where you go hard or go home.
  • Track choices - Some tracks are surprisingly reminiscent of old gems like OutRun and Virtua Racing, and the new city circuits they're adding have an obvious Project Gotham Racing style to them.
  • Atmosphere - DC has a distinct flavor to it, throwing back to the '90s; it is apparently influenced even by my all time favorite racing game series, Ridge Racer.
  • Difficulty - Driveclub is in my opinion one of the harder racing games I've played. It's not a game which hands you victory in silverware, you have to fight for first place. And you don't even get to fine-tune your car, you can only fine-tune your own skills. It knows how to be forgiving, though, but that doesn't make it much easier, if at all.
  • Soundtrack - To say that this game has a good soundtrack would be an understatement. Hybrid has crafted some of the most wonderful songs I've heard in a racing game. WipEout is like the only other racing game to match it in this department - and yes, this soundtrack does remind me of WipEout.
  • Hardcore mode - You thought the game was too forgiving with its handling? Well, Hardcore mode would like to have a word on the matter.
  • Developer support - Easily the game's biggest boon. Just try and compare the game at launch with how it is right now.
  • DLCs - Driveclub has some really good DLCs, that's for sure. The Season Pass is MAD value, and the Bikes expansion is incredibly fun. It's widely agreed upon that if you don't have the SP, then you're not squeezing out the game's potential to the fullest. The fact that EVO has put out on the PS Store a bundle with the full game and the Season Pass that costs just a few bucks more than the vanilla game just screams: "buy the Season Pass, it's too awesome to pass up".

Last edited:
I tried it with the new hardcore mode. Its still not good. It does have brake lock and wheel spin but its not a night day difference. It doesnt really change the HANDLING very much at all, ie. the RWD cars dont suddenly become tail happy and you have to manage oversteer.

I'd say I enjoy the 3 lap circuit racing but I'm not a fan of the point to point nor any of the other events.

I wish it was more 3 laps races because that door to door banging is quite fun.

I tried it with the new hardcore mode. Its still not good. It does have brake lock and wheel spin but its not a night day difference. It doesnt really change the HANDLING very much at all, ie. the RWD cars dont suddenly become tail happy and you have to manage oversteer.

I'd say I enjoy the 3 lap circuit racing but I'm not a fan of the point to point nor any of the other events.

I wish it was more 3 laps races because that door to door banging is quite fun.

It seems to be possible to create endless 3 lap races.
It makes it even more fun if you find one you like, and then set it as a solo or club challenge.
They then feel like personalized GT seasonals!

Then my son tries to beat my time, when he does I just have to beat his - cause, you know ... reasons!

Last edited:
Had it for a week now (PS Plus version) and really enjoying it, even in its limited state. The AMG tour and India are very good appetizers, will eventually buy full version.

I have only just got the game on 12th feb. Seems great so far. have finished about 12-15 races so far.

PROS +
+Graphics are stunning
+Good selection of cars
+Sounds great (7.1 wireless headphones)
+Great DLC (got the season pass)
+Cars & Bikes

CONS -
-Dissapointing cameras (prefer GT bumper cam or bonnet cam, This game has the same views available but i am still getting used to them I think)

Not to many gripes as i am not to far into the game.

It's a great game for sure, but hasn't held my interest for very long. Without steering wheel support for Fanatec wheels, it's not somethng I want to continue playing.

Haven't bought any DLC at all as a result.

Should I buy driveclub ? 9.99 on psn, tempted.
I was massively addicted to GT1 Licenses & GT5 TimeTrials. I like competitive skill based games.
Will this be my cup of tea ?

Should I buy driveclub ? 9.99 on psn, tempted.
I was massively addicted to GT1 Licenses & GT5 TimeTrials. I like competitive skill based games.
Will this be my cup of tea ?

If you like skill based games, you will definetely like DC as well. Time trials gets really addictive, as you sometimes fight for just 0,01 second. But you have to remember this is not a sim game like gran turismo, I would say it's a simcade to me.

Hit me up on PSN (Mr--Grandy), and I can give you access to the game via share play, you will see if you like it. 👍

Back