Poll: Most recommended track for testing and comparing GT Sport.

• Thread starter ruestchiva
  • 26 comments

Best tracks for testing and comparison (select up to 3):

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Guatemala
Guatemala
So, I've been using Red Bull Ring along with Tsukuba tracks for testing cars and comparing times between similar cars. For example, I love to compare all the JDM cars to see how would they perform in real life against each other. I do have a preference on Real World Tracks for this as I'm trying to get as close to reality as possible.

Which track would you recommend for testing? I would think that the longer, more complex the circuit is, the harder to get a consistent timing across laps. Not to mention the time spent to perform a lot of testing. I rather shorter less difficult tracks.

Also, what would be the best way to compare a group of cars? Is there an option to load more than 1 ghost? For example, let's say I want to test the RX-7, GTR, Supra, NSX, S2000 and a couple more. What would be the best way to do this?

Interlagos is one of my favorites, plenty of road cars can get around it in about two minutes or less, it's got elevation changes, fast and slow turns and like the Red Bull Ring, a nice rhythm.

As for the comparisons, I think we're stuck with the loaded and current ghost options.

Another mention for Suzuka.

It's got pretty much everything, and was initially developed as a Honda test track.

I also think Suzuka is pretty good for testing. However, I do think its quite complex, long and, for me, very difficult to be consistent for comparisons. But, I do think its a great option nevertheless.

As for the moment, I think RBR is still the better option specially with the long straight that ends in a very hard braking. Let's see what other think about it.

Interlagos is one of my favorites, plenty of road cars can get around it in about two minutes or less, it's got elevation changes, fast and slow turns and like the Red Bull Ring, a nice rhythm.

As for the comparisons, I think we're stuck with the loaded and current ghost options.
Thing I enjoy about Interlagos is that cars feel glued to the track the entire time. Also, two straights along with multiple uphill and downhill cornering sections. Great flow. Kinda wish it was a longer track though.

However, I do think its quite complex, long and, for me, very difficult to be consistent for comparisons. But, I do think its a great option nevertheless.

It's a quicker lap than Spa.

That being said, if you're not consistent, it's a useless track. Of the tracks on your list, my pick would be Fuji. The first half is fast, second half is technical.

I also think Suzuka is pretty good for testing. However, I do think its quite complex, long and, for me, very difficult to be consistent for comparisons. But, I do think its a great option nevertheless.

As for the moment, I think RBR is still the better option specially with the long straight that ends in a very hard braking. Let's see what other think about it.
Are you testing real cars as well? I think that would be the best bet for testing at each track. The BoP wouldn't factor in each car at different tracks. As much as PD have tried.

Real road or track based cars(McLaren P1 GTR, Porsche GT3, X-Bow, etc.) would be similar to real world testing.

Autopolis short course is good for testing

Its Short so you can rack the laps up for comparisons plus track has a bit off everything from long straights to hairpins to fast sweepers.

Every bit of the car gets tested round that track all wrapped up in a 1.10 lap for gr4

For some reason I've tested many cars on Monza. The nature of the track, with it's heavy braking zones, long straights and fast corners make it a lot of fun. You can really get a feel for the cars at their absolute limit. Sames goes for The Red Bull Ring. I've tested plenty of cars there, including the Mini Cooper S.

To answer the second part of your question. The best way to test them would be to go on a track that has a mix of every type of corner without massive straights, like Catalunya. RBR, Monza and Spa are speed tracks, you arent going to figure what the best all rounder is on those. You could argue the same for Suzuka as well.

Last edited:
The problem with Catalunya is that damned chicane at the end. You cant get consistent laps without being ultra consistent on that.

The same applies to the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, although I've been driving that track for 20 years in GT at least, whereas I've only driven it for a year in GTS.

Right now, my vote goes to Autopolis short which contains a decent mix of straight, medium corner, then the sequence of corners, followed by the left-right up to the final corners.

(Unfortunately the list of real world tracks in the poll doesn't include this, can it be added?)

Interesting thread.
I am doing the same, since Gran Turismo 3, selecting about 50-60 cars and testing them in one track.
With GT Sport, I changed to a multi track procedure.
My opinion is that the selection of the track is the most important part, given that the goal is to discover the difference in the all around cars' performance.
I am giving an example from my recent, multiple tracks, GTS testing.

Let's take two cars, LaFerrari and Renault Sport R.S.01. They belong to different classes but that's not the point.
Their power/weight ratio are 1,32 (Ferrari) and 2,11 (Renault). So, one could say that Ferrari is better, hands down.
Thaknkfully not! A totally predictable world is a boring one... Their laps:

test32434.jpg

We see that in tracks with long straights (Tokyo, Monza) or high speed corners (Blue Moon Bay), Ferrari's advantage is massive, but in tracks with tight corners this advantage is diminished (Dragon Trail) or even reversed. We see that in Lago Maggiore, Renault with it's high cornering ability, is 5'' faster!!

My point is that one should select a track that give the cars the chance to present their potential under a multi challenge enviroment.
Such a track must have:
i) a long straight, but not too long (like Tokyo), otherwise the LaFerraris and the Veyrons of the world have big advantage
ii) tight corners, but not too many (like Tsukuba), otherwise the Renaults of the world have big advantage
iii) a number of various medium speed corners.

So if I had to choose only one track this would be Fuji because it combines all these aspects in proportion.

Last edited:
Barcelona, Interlagos and Suzuka are good tracks to test cars all round performance as they've got a good mix of slow, medium and fast corners as well as decent straights. Monza and lemans are good tracks to test how good cars are at power circuits. Tsukuba and brands hatch are good handling tracks more so brands hatch for group 3 and above. If I had to pick one I'd say Barcelona and pay close attention to your individual sector times.

I like to test everything on Nürburgring GP. It doesn't have have high speed corners though, and rather difficult, but for me gives all needed information on car and set up. Also for comparison it is better to pair it with absolutely different track, and here I would use Suzuka.

Brands Hatch Indy. Short and sharp, killer 1st corner, tight hairpin, tricky left, into the fast esses, dive on the brakes for the changing radius right hander to the uphill finish line. So much gradient change and challenge in under a minute.

I would say Spa overall since it caters to cars from GT4 to LMP1 to F1.

As much as I like the "Ring it obviously doesnt really suit cars faster than say GT3 or Gr.2 and although I see value in small tracks like Tsukuba I dont like the fact they exclude certain classes of cars due to practicality concerns.

Suzuka is sort of ok to as I get its like the "Spa of Japan" (except nowhere near as good).

Autopolis is my favorite real circuit in this game. Do many laps in the Gr.4 Supra and DTM spec E30 M3(on RSS).

Just did some fun laps in the GR.4 650S(RH). Autopolis always feels good. As much as can be felt using a controller, the car(s) load well in the corners. Also, the compression on the springs feel good.
Changes in direction, hard braking, trailbraking at certain corners, patience with the throttle, some camber and off-camber sections of corners, it keeps my brain working. Never a boring lap in a Gr.4 and proper tuned car.

Group C 787B, GT-R Nismo, F40, they feel right at this circuit.
8359275744880263168_0.jpg

In this virtual world, it's a circuit that works best for a race tuned car.

Back