Not open for further replies.

syntex123

Currently lurking!
Premium
Norway
Færder
syntex123
Syntex260Z

No Sponsors… or put another way… Art Cars! Image and liveries by @MatskiMonk . - (click for full-size)
https://flic.kr/p/25CiUQP

This Fortnight's Theme

This livery competition is about being creative, the car is the canvas, it's not a rolling advertisement! Be sure to read on before entering:

Sure, we all like our race car liveries, be they replica or original, but some of the most intriguing designs ever put on cars are not there to promote goods or services, they are an expression of an idea, a concept or a feeling.

Real art cars are wide ranging in their design and motivation. To give you a few ideas; An abstract representation of a meaningful place, thing or person. A literal message, an expression of an artistic style (it could be Graffitti - it could be Monet!). It could be a representation of an action, emotion or feeling. It could be motivated by visual styles in nature or architecture, it could emphasize the nature of the car itself… it could just be all out trip fest of psychedelia…

There’s no right or wrong, but it really helps if there is a story behind it - and it would be great if these were posted too.

Just to be clear, (with the small exception below), sponsor decals, company decals, brand decals, character decals, band logos etc etc are prohibited.

CARS:
Any
LIVERIES: No replica's, must be original
USER MADE DECALS: Yes (subject to the spirit of the theme!)
LOCATIONS: Shiretoko for the main pics
1) Choose the Shiretoko scape (found by searching all locations and refining by 'Japan'and 'Snow'):

View attachment 729370

2) Apply the following settings:

Camera

Camera Settings

Aperture: F 2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/60 (as it's not a panning shot I don't know that this is important)
Focus: Single AF

Environment Settings
Aspect: 16:9
Orientation: Landscape
Resolution: High

Effects

White Balance
Temperature: 9800 K
Colour Cast Correction: -0.060
Exposure correction: EV +2.0

Special Effects
Chromatic Aberration: 5

Screen Effect 1
Mask: Background
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 0
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 250
Highlight: 100
Midpoint Correction: 100
Blackpoint Correction: -5

Car Effects
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 150
Brightness: 75
Contrast: 120
Highlight: 500
Midpoint Correction: 500
Blackpoint Correction: 0

3) Place your car in the middle of the scape at a suitable angle:

View attachment 729371

4) Zoom in to 102mm (certain cars may require more or less to fit in the viewfinder) and move the camera until you're happy that the car is centred in the shot:

View attachment 729372

5) Move the focus to the nearest corner of the car (I normally centre on the headlamp closest to the centre of the image) and take your shot.

6) For a shot of the rear, go back to the Car tab and hit R2, switch to Camera and refocus (again I use the tail lamp nearest the centre) and take the shot. If the car has moved off-centre then move the viewfinder and adjust the zoom as you see fit.

For new cars/liveries simply find the scape in your library and reopen and change the car, then rinse and repeat as above.

Images, entry format and tutorial made by @BLiTZ

UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS:
1. Replicas of existing art cars are not allowed, this is YOUR expression, not anyone else’s.

2. To allow for choice and authenticity, if you're imagining you car as a racing car, a number panel maybe used and a maximum of two different SMALL technical partner decals can be used. For example; a Tyre supplier, and Brake Supplier, or Suspension company and fuel company for example. These can be duplicated to either side of the car, or wing end plates etc. as appropriate. These should not form part of the design itself.

3. If you can, explain your motivation or what the livery represents to you.

4. Sponsor decals, company decals, brand decals, character decals, band logos etc etc are prohibited.

To get people in the mood... here are some examples of other peoples stuff...
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/1069126/1/5908794190783874576
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/5366599/1/6917547794586698777
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/2026405/1/8151598970574996480
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/3073035/1/5774261235263472649
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/3629939/1/7134264764156347921
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/3539648/1/4828421826277312009

Competition Rules

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this poll. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.
  • The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here.
  • Do not vote for your own entry.
  • Do not try to sway the poll.
  • Please, view each image in its full size, or view the full 360° GIF before voting.
  • In the event of a tie, a 24H tiebreaker poll will be posted. All contestants in the tiebreaker are asked to vote; if one person doesn't, all other contestants votes won't count.

Poll Option #1

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #2

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #3

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #4

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #5

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #6

7ijlIJB.jpg

RAAsO7Y.jpg

gFrLX8R.jpg

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #7

42391140052_b51a9dc528_z.jpg

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #8

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #9

20180602184725b-jpg.740383

20180602184712a-jpg.740382

20180602184749c-jpg.740377

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #10

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #11

art1-png.741397

art2-png.741398

art3-png.741400

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #12

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #13

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #14

Deadline

June 10, 2018 (23:59, CEST/GMT+2)​

Hold on - I found an issue with the poll.

EDIT: Fixed.

Great entries !

My vote goes to @JKcreativeworks : so many details, great decals, very different styles mixed and yet, it works with the car and create a fluid and coherent design.

If it has been a 3-way poll, I would have add :
- @Hayden CFD car, as seeing engineering as an art really speak to me. My main entry that I couldn’t finish was using plans and data sheets from the building company I work for.
- @Raphaele Butterfly car. Even if you are not the creator of the sticker, the way you used it in different scales and angles to create the design is very clever. The vivid colours and the shapes also fit the Mazda very naturally and create a feeling of fragility and lightness.

Honorable mention goes to @KK78 and @Lost Sheltie, whose Mondrian and pavage cars were two of my first ideas too. Nice execution.

Now looking forward to see some drift cars, and hopefully we can have 20+ entries again on @CroxSkin theme !

Man do I wish I finished my design in time. I finished it today thinking I'd be able to sneak it in there.
@syntex123 could I post it here anyway? See what you guys think? It's a "replicating nature" piece, hehe.

Sorry for not looking up all the names, you guys do great work.

The LM55 keeps catching my eye everytime, beautiful; that's the best art. Same with the Porsche, great technicality; Appreciable art.

The Viper is the extreme in technical, it looses some art that way. But I love it for what it is. Very cool

The Mazda 3 is subtle but worth giving appreciation. It funny I still consider it a canvas, to make a racecar out of, haha. Then it'd be over the top sick! I wonder if it's wrong or complementary to want to make things look like a racecar when they are already beautiful. (I consider the 919 and the civic prime examples of this, there are more here though.) Props to the Civic and 919! Those cars have lovely texturing.

The VW bus definitely has the strongest ties to actual art, being a mural, and having a place in the artists heart. (Good story with it!)

I love the placeholder idea on the Lambo! Ingenuity! That's a great part about art too! Appreciating the details and having joy discovering them.

Thanks to everyone for sharing. Everyone had something worth appreciating in their work! I think that's what art is about, appreciating what someone has done. Sometimes it takes effort to appreciate but then it can be all the more wonderful.

Viper for me, I love the idea behind it and it looks fast standing still.

Runners up are the 919 Hybrid and Jacob's GT3.

Also an honourable mention to the PlayStation R32, lots of detail close up, but from a distance it looks too plain.

As usual, voting was very hard...this time probably even harder, as there wasn't a single entry that I easily skipped when deciding to vote. Eventually voted for the Civic (because I know JK's 911 will get a ton of votes regardless lol), but everyone is a winner, honestly. Great job to every participant!

Great work everybody. I knew it would be a tricky theme but I think everyone turned out a great entry... it'll be virtually impossible to pick one to vote for, but I'll post up my full thoughts and scores for all entries a bit later.

I hope that people who didn't get their entries finished in time will finish them anyway... @syntext123 I really hope to see your 'first' entry finished!

Says everything that even though I put an entry in, I didn't actually vote for mine

Shouldn't be doing that anyway ;)

Stoked with the supportive messages and receiving a vote! In this amazing field I really wasn’t sure that my engineering inspired idea would carry through.

Thanks in particular to you Blitz! It really means a lot! :cheers: :gtpflag: :D

I seem to have lost a vote, had 3, now it's 2 :confused: :grumpy:

I went for no.12, nice design, sleek and imaginative

Man do I wish I finished my design in time. I finished it today thinking I'd be able to sneak it in there.
@syntex123 could I post it here anyway? See what you guys think? It's a "replicating nature" piece, hehe.
Go ahead :)

I hope that people who didn't get their entries finished in time will finish them anyway... @syntex123 I really hope to see your 'first' entry finished!
Yeah I need to find motivation to do it soon :D

This is my Ruddy Duck themed Livery. See the little guy below. They have a tail that sticks up like the laFerrari does, ruddy colored feathers, white cheeks and behind, and a stark blue beak.

This may be a basic design but I made it more difficult by adding feather texturing to the body where there would be feathers. It's subtle and most easily seen on on the "Ruddy" parts of the car. It was fun to make, and makes the car more fun too. (If you've driven the LaF you know it likes to play around more than race)

I hope PD adds the FXXK cause that car has a more fitting tail for this livery that sticks up really high! haha. That's where I got the inspiration.

Ruddy-Duck-Portrait-1.jpg

This is my Ruddy Duck themed Livery. See the little guy below. They have a tail that sticks up like the laFerrari does, ruddy colored feathers, white cheeks and behind, and a stark blue beak.

This may be a basic design but I made it more difficult by adding feather texturing to the body where there would be feathers. It's subtle and most easily seen on on the "Ruddy" parts of the car. It was fun to make, and makes the car more fun too. (If you've driven the LaF you know it likes to play around more than race)

I hope PD adds the FXXK cause that car has a more fitting tail for this livery that sticks up really high! haha. That's where I got the inspiration.

Ruddy-Duck-Portrait-1.jpg
That's a really cool concept, and good execution too. It fits the car well.

This theme was quite challenging since I had a famous quote in mind:
An artist is somebody who produces things that people don’t need to have.” (Andy Warhol)
Sure, we don't need to have artcars but aren't they beautiful?
I really appreciate every single entry in this comp and am happy to be part of it.
Casting my vote was sort of problem, but I finally went with Cytoria's striped Infinity VGT #12 because I like the contradiction of moving direction, design lines and the colour scheme. Great job, fantastic!
If had more than one vote I also would have chosen Kelmac's carefully tattooed #11 BMW and Sjaak's red/black Honda Civic because of the harmony of painted elements.
Looking forward to the next competition, thanks to syntex123 for hosting and to everybody who liked my LM55 Blue Butterfly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back