Not open for further replies.

syntex123

Currently lurking!
Premium
Norway
Færder
syntex123
Syntex260Z

Barn finds! Have you ever looked inside an abandoned garage or barn to find a rare and classic car? If not, make one! Livery and image by @syntex123 - (click for full-size)

This Fortnight's Theme
I must have seen a lot of restoration shows on Discovery Channel because this time I want to capture the essence of finding something rare where you wouldn't think anything else but junk would reside. We're talking rare barn finds. - But this time, let it rust! Let's hear what @syntex123 has to say:

I love classic cars, there's something about seeing 40-year-old steel, the look, the sound, the smell.. But what if you saw a neglected one sitting in a garage full of junk? The car might be dusty, it might have some scratches, maybe some rust? There's no limit here. Make the car look old and forgotten.

CARS:
N class cars before 1989 only
LIVERIES: Yes and no; if you want to do a classic race car, go for it. If you want a street car, go for it. As long as it looks forgotten.
USER MADE DECALS: Allowed
LOCATIONS: Shiretoko for the main pics, garage photo for the 1st bonus shot.
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS: Make use of decals that look like dust, rust, dirt or other decals. You can use as little or much as you want, but it should look like it's been standing on the same spot for years.

You can also take two bonus images. One garage shot (where the car sits now), and one old image (with an appropriate "old" filter) showing it's last known location, with less dirt and wear on it than the livery you must enter.

1) Choose the Shiretoko scape (found by searching all locations and refining by 'Japan'and 'Snow'):

View attachment 729370

2) Apply the following settings:

Camera

Camera Settings

Aperture: F 2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/60 (as it's not a panning shot I don't know that this is important)
Focus: Single AF

Environment Settings
Aspect: 16:9
Orientation: Landscape
Resolution: High

Effects

White Balance
Temperature: 9800 K
Colour Cast Correction: -0.060
Exposure correction: EV +2.0

Special Effects
Chromatic Aberration: 5

Screen Effect 1
Mask: Background
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 0
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 250
Highlight: 100
Midpoint Correction: 100
Blackpoint Correction: -5

Car Effects
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 150
Brightness: 75
Contrast: 120
Highlight: 500
Midpoint Correction: 500
Blackpoint Correction: 0

3) Place your car in the middle of the scape at a suitable angle:

View attachment 729371

4) Zoom in to 102mm (certain cars may require more or less to fit in the viewfinder) and move the camera until you're happy that the car is centred in the shot:

View attachment 729372

5) Move the focus to the nearest corner of the car (I normally centre on the headlamp closest to the centre of the image) and take your shot.

6) For a shot of the rear, go back to the Car tab and hit R2, switch to Camera and refocus (again I use the tail lamp nearest the centre) and take the shot. If the car has moved off-centre then move the viewfinder and adjust the zoom as you see fit.

For new cars/liveries simply find the scape in your library and reopen and change the car, then rinse and repeat as above.

Images, entry format and tutorial made by @BLiTZ

Competition Rules

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this poll. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.
  • The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here.
  • Do not vote for your own entry.
  • You have one vote to spend - use it wisely!
  • Do not try to sway the poll.
  • Please, view each image in its full size before voting.
  • In the event of a tie, a 24H tiebreaker poll will be posted. All contestants in the tiebreaker are asked to vote; if one person doesn't, all other contestants votes won't count.

Poll Option #1

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #2

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #3

fiat1.jpg

fiat2.jpg

9fiat3.jpg

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #4

7D0021F6-F9BD-42DE-B460-143AC6284CC9.jpeg

42E35DF7-4733-44F1-8853-117A156E6443.jpeg

41F41EC6-9EAE-4DE1-B9D4-B428EAD966B1.jpeg

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #5

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #6

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #7

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #8

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #9

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #10

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #11

View media item 42111View media item 42109

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #12

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #13

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #14

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #15

Deadline

July 23, 2018 (14:30, CEST/GMT+2)

Last edited:
Gave this one an extra day because it lost a day. Hope everything looks good and every entry is counted for.. :)

Gave this one an extra day because it lost a day. Hope everything looks good and every entry is counted for.. :)

I see 2 choices of choice number 3 (poll#3 and poll#13) and makes me vote only for one car!!!

Last edited:
I believe the bar is set at 20 entries for the poll to offer 3 votes. It does advise in the rules you only get one vote.

edit: I went for 5. I appreciate how hard it is to get simple dust to look that good (I tried!), and it's most like the state my own personal barn find was in most of the time.

No. 1 for me I think, I like 13, 12, 4 and 11 too so great effort, some real degradation there. I thought my entry had a reasonable chance this time but dust eh? :D:boggled:

I can't see who has voted for what so can't thank my voters directly, but thank you :cheers:

• Review
  • The GT Sport Livery Editor Competition 09 »Barn Find«
Having entered some of these (quite new in GT) livery competitions I know exactly how much creativity, brain activity and work time it takes to come up with an own and unique entry matching the theme. Most of us entrants won’t win this comp – there can be only one (says Highlander). This review is meant as tribute to the commitment of all of you who invested a lot of time and brain and just earned some likes in the thread and some votes or none in the poll.
I’m not judge nor moderator nor host – just an involved member. This review is just my own humble opinion. I am aware that I will risk my neck or at least get myself into hot water.
So here we go with my review on all the 15 entries:

#01 Monte Carlo 1973 Alpine by Higny

Cool replication of a historic celebrated automobile eaten by rust though the original body was made of plastic. Would be perfect imho if the car had the original license plate and a metallic paint of a lighter shade. More than the livery I like the additional shots: very scenic locations and well composed photography.

#02 Gray Corvette C3 by Strax

Love the Wild West story and believe absolutely that your Raptor could tow away anything else. The Texas plate looks authentical and the few rusted parts are due to the fact that the lightweight C3 has a lot of fibreglass parts. Though this beauty is not a real barn find it is a neatly and carefully decorated germ. I am curious how the required garage photo would look like. Bummer! At least you are offering a fine pick up scene.

#03 Rusty Rotten Fiat 500 by Teal

Much to my regret, we are not permitted to decorate window panes, wheels and lights/lamps of our chosen vehicle. This affects every car in GT Sport, but the tiny Fiat 500 really suffers from this handicap appallingly since these parts are demanding a bigger part of the small body. 30 to 40 different layers of rust are doing a mighty job: My honest respect, especially because I have chosen the same model for my livery, so I am aware what you have accomplished. Well done, I love this tiny Italian rat. The Original GTS plate is a bit out of place for this theme but the garage photo is very well chosen – brilliant job all in all!

#04 Blue Toyota Supra (JTCC) by JaimePL

Abandoned yes, but a few rust holes do not make a »barn find«. Having said that I like this – obviously during several Sunday Cups – mistreated vehicle with all it’s scratches and decals and the idea and work behind.

#05 Dusty Lamborghini Countach by JKcreativeworks

Watch those descreet tiny scars and prints in the authentic patina. Especially the garage shot comes up with convincing reality. I guess JK (the Master of Sunday Cup) used a scale model and a bag of cement for his studies ;) What can I say: When something is perfect you won’t see the work behind. Well done, brilliant job. My personal number 1.

#06 Rotten Alpine A110 by KK78

448 decals are an overwhelming demonstration of how this French beauty would look as a barn find — if it were made of steel. And both the additional shots are matching the livery and the theme at its best. By the way, the report is interesting and very entertaining.

#07 Stunt Corvette C3 by VaderBomb

America first: This ratty and misused Vette is attesting to a hard life as a stunt car. Cool piece of work, much to my regret there is no additional shot.

#08 Blue Roger Penske Corvette C3 by CorvairGuy69

I like not only story and idea behind but also the execution. Simply I find the vehicle too colourful and clean when it comes to “barn find”.

#09 Kaz’ Toyota Supra 3.0 GT by Sjaak

What a fine idea to reveal The Master’s Car. Well executed and cool additional shot. Love that little ILNY decal.

#10 Abandoned Ford Mustang by ss3

Though the required garage shot is missing the other shots are illustrating the short story well. Somehow I feel this entry should have the chance to be continued…

#11 Weird Toyota 2000 GT by teensonacid

A creepy story and mysterious “chariot” go together well. The Datsun decal is a little confusing (or profound?). Great work, convincing effects and fantastic spoiler picts. My personal number 3.

#12 Worn-out Dodge Challenger by Lost Sheltie

Many parts of the body in different paint are telling an interesting story of this car’s life. I like that typical American race number as a pointer to the Petty-built Ex-Dale Earnhart racer. What kind of story did you keep back and why? Fine job anyway.

#13 Maltreated Ferrari 512 BB by V100s

This Berlinetta Boxer No. 66 Agip Carello Racing looks overwhelming though it makes me sorry to see the Italian beauty in a condition like that. How sad a fate! The additional photo at Rome pays some compensation to me. Well executed job.

#14 De Tomaso Pantera movie car by YukinoSuzuka

Though the story may be totally fictional of course, it is exciting to read and a stunning idea, too. I like the story very much and the livery work in particular. Additional photos make the entry perfect. My honest compliment! My personal number 2.

#15 Forgotten Abarth Fiat 500 Coppa Domenicale by Raphaele

Simply my first entry of this kind and I had lots of fun and gained lots of experience by doing. Due to lack of time I did not tell a story about. Hope you all like it though.
:gtpflag:

I see some people forgot to read the rules again ;) but yeah it’s too few entries for more than one vote.

Thanks @Sjaak, for helping me while I was afk. :cheers:

Edit: I did notice I probably forgot to make the votes to be visible, and also that you could view before voting/change vote. I changed the latter, but can’t fix the former. Oh well. I was super stressed last night!

• Review
  • The GT Sport Livery Editor Competition 09 »Barn Find«
Having entered some of these (quite new in GT) livery competitions I know exactly how much creativity, brain activity and work time it takes to come up with an own and unique entry matching the theme. Most of us entrants won’t win this comp – there can be only one (says Highlander). This review is meant as tribute to the commitment of all of you who invested a lot of time and brain and just earned some likes in the thread and some votes or none in the poll.
I’m not judge nor moderator nor host – just an involved member. This review is just my own humble opinion. I am aware that I will risk my neck or at least get myself into hot water.

So here we go with my review on all the 15 entries:

#01 Monte Carlo 1973 Alpine by Higny

Cool replication of a historic celebrated automobile eaten by rust though the original body was made of plastic. Would be perfect imho if the car had the original license plate and a metallic paint of a lighter shade. More than the livery I like the additional shots: very scenic locations and well composed photography.

#02 Gray Corvette C3 by Strax

Love the Wild West story and believe absolutely that your Raptor could tow away anything else. The Texas plate looks authentical and the few rusted parts are due to the fact that the lightweight C3 has a lot of fibreglass parts. Though this beauty is not a real barn find it is a neatly and carefully decorated germ. I am curious how the required garage photo would look like. Bummer! At least you are offering a fine pick up scene.

#03 Rusty Rotten Fiat 500 by Teal

Much to my regret, we are not permitted to decorate window panes, wheels and lights/lamps of our chosen vehicle. This affects every car in GT Sport, but the tiny Fiat 500 really suffers from this handicap appallingly since these parts are demanding a bigger part of the small body. 30 to 40 different layers of rust are doing a mighty job: My honest respect, especially because I have chosen the same model for my livery, so I am aware what you have accomplished. Well done, I love this tiny Italian rat. The Original GTS plate is a bit out of place for this theme but the garage photo is very well chosen – brilliant job all in all!

#04 Blue Toyota Supra (JTCC) by JaimePL

Abandoned yes, but a few rust holes do not make a »barn find«. Having said that I like this – obviously during several Sunday Cups – mistreated vehicle with all it’s scratches and decals and the idea and work behind.

#05 Dusty Lamborghini Countach by JKcreativeworks

Watch those descreet tiny scars and prints in the authentic patina. Especially the garage shot comes up with convincing reality. I guess JK (the Master of Sunday Cup) used a scale model and a bag of cement for his studies ;) What can I say: When something is perfect you won’t see the work behind. Well done, brilliant job. My personal number 1.

#06 Rotten Alpine A110 by KK78

448 decals are an overwhelming demonstration of how this French beauty would look as a barn find — if it were made of steel. And both the additional shots are matching the livery and the theme at its best. By the way, the report is interesting and very entertaining.

#07 Stunt Corvette C3 by VaderBomb

America first: This ratty and misused Vette is attesting to a hard life as a stunt car. Cool piece of work, much to my regret there is no additional shot.

#08 Blue Roger Penske Corvette C3 by CorvairGuy69

I like not only story and idea behind but also the execution. Simply I find the vehicle too colourful and clean when it comes to “barn find”.

#09 Kaz’ Toyota Supra 3.0 GT by Sjaak

What a fine idea to reveal The Master’s Car. Well executed and cool additional shot. Love that little ILNY decal.

#10 Abandoned Ford Mustang by ss3

Though the required garage shot is missing the other shots are illustrating the short story well. Somehow I feel this entry should have the chance to be continued…

#11 Weird Toyota 2000 GT by teensonacid

A creepy story and mysterious “chariot” go together well. The Datsun decal is a little confusing (or profound?). Great work, convincing effects and fantastic spoiler picts. My personal number 3.

#12 Worn-out Dodge Challenger by Lost Sheltie

Many parts of the body in different paint are telling an interesting story of this car’s life. I like that typical American race number as a pointer to the Petty-built Ex-Dale Earnhart racer. What kind of story did you keep back and why? Fine job anyway.

#13 Maltreated Ferrari 512 BB by V100s

This Berlinetta Boxer No. 66 Agip Carello Racing looks overwhelming though it makes me sorry to see the Italian beauty in a condition like that. How sad a fate! The additional photo at Rome pays some compensation to me. Well executed job.

#14 De Tomaso Pantera movie car by YukinoSuzuka

Though the story may be totally fictional of course, it is exciting to read and a stunning idea, too. I like the story very much and the livery work in particular. Additional photos make the entry perfect. My honest compliment! My personal number 2.

#15 Forgotten Abarth Fiat 500 Coppa Domenicale by Raphaele

Simply my first entry of this kind and I had lots of fun and gained lots of experience by doing. Due to lack of time I did not tell a story about. Hope you all like it though.
:gtpflag:
I read them all, what an amazing post! Every entry in this contest deserves a mention, as everyone had to work hard both with the mind, and the controller. Thanks for the kind words for my Corvette, I didn't make it a total rust bucket exactly for that reason and focused especially on/around the metal chrome parts, I would've loved to make it dusty, but it was out of my capabilities (or out of my available time, rather, as I really didn't manage to try working on that effect).

As for me, my vote went to the Pantera. I am somehow mentally insane about details, thus I love to see cars having somewhat of a proper licence plate, instead of the default GTS brand/model one. The Pantera was the perfect work for me, as it is a believable dusty barn find, it has the small details that I like, and I also liked the Herbie background, so great job! 👍

Last edited:
I think you guys forgot the poll isn’t officially over yet, still a little bit more than 15 minutes left. :sly:

— not that this will change the winner, just thought I’d pop in and say it. I was one day late to post so I gave it an extra day.

Anyway congrats again @JKcreativeworks, I really loved the dust and the cheeky ‘wash me’ variant.

To everyone else, thank you all for such amazing entries. I was afraid my theme was a bit too complicated and that many would sit it out. Those of you who entered really raised the bar. You blew my mind.

So thank you all for making the competitions fun! :cheers:

Edit: Calling it closed now. I need sleep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back