• 58 comments

THEME: Replica Challenge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
@syntex123 Was something wrong with my entry? Just curious

Sorry. You had too many bonus shots.

I dunno if my entry was DQ'd or just not put up but I'm kinda sad to not see my Viper up there

Too big bonus shot if I recall correctly.

Sorry guys. I hate doing things like this, but I don’t write the rules for fun. Better luck next time :)

Put vote on 2,11, and 26 because Japanese and BMW replica :P

If I can vote 5 I'll give 22 and 19 too
Oh well just realize I get poll number 7 just like Studie numberplate :P

Sorry. You had too many bonus shots.

Too big bonus shot if I recall correctly.

Sorry guys. I hate doing things like this, but I don’t write the rules for fun. Better luck next time :)
Oh. I could have sworn it was correct as no one had made a mention of it. Oh well I suppose

It's time for the citizen duty...

I was surprised by the number of disqualified entries, and this is disappointing as some like @Sinyster and @OJT6627 ones were serious contenders.

Racesuits were not a criteria, as so few of us finally made one...

Also, it may be arbitrary, but as I understand this round of replicas, I've chosen to narrow my vote to "replicas" and not "transpositions". I agree that is is sometimes harder to adjust a livery to another shape than just copy it, but I translated "replica" as "closest to the real deal". So even if @JKcreativeworks gorgeous Porsche is now applied on one of my 911s, I didn't vote for it. That still left me with far too many entries.

First I voted for @MatskiMonk Z4. As @BLiTZ and even Matski himself said, it's not perfect, but it was one of the few that was made during the actual contest period, and the amount of work involved was clearly commitment. And despite this, Matski still helped others with decals in the dedicated request thread, so hats off for that.

Second vote was for @Lebowski . Just like @Strax , as soon as I saw this theme I thought about his GT500 liveries and especially this Modulo NSX.

Picking the third was the hardest choice. I've gone over all the showcase and comparison pics and I eventually went for @daan Huracan as it was a great mix between in-game shapes, masking skills and decal work.

I’ve often struggled to pick my 3 votes, but never between so many valuable choices. Awesome work, guys !

:cheers:

Racesuits were not a criteria, as so few of us finally made one

I actually started to make one... but since I couldn't make an all white Puma suit, and we can't put decals on the legs... and couldn't find good reference pics for the helmet... I didn't bother to finish it.

Honestly the helmet/suit editor are worthy additions to the game, but I have no real interest in using them.

Oh. I could have sworn it was correct as no one had made a mention of it. Oh well I suppose

As I've pointed out several times in all the competitions I'm running tired of constantly having to tell people to correct this or that, and also said I would stop it. Sometimes I do "well" by not doing it, other times I can't help myself. And noone is required to alert you that your entry is wrong; that's your job. :) I'm sorry. I always feel like a bad person when DQ'ing someone, I'm not doing it for fun to piss off people. I hope you understand.

I put so many hours into organizing these competitions, it's not as easy as it might look. I spend more hours on GTPlanet than Average Joe does at work. :lol:

Boi, what a reason to get denied :banghead: :lol:

Until next time, i guess =(

Well, rules are rules, without them, these competitions would just be a huge mess. Right?

I actually started to make one... but since I couldn't make an all white Puma suit, and we can't put decals on the legs... and couldn't find good reference pics for the helmet... I didn't bother to finish it.

Honestly the helmet/suit editor are worthy additions to the game, but I have no real interest in using them.

I know right. The helmet editor is fine, but the suit editor is a suit version of any online t-shirt printing service. I'd absolutely love a full-blown suit editor, but I guess it's not on PDs mind since we're not seeing the suit while we drive, only in scapes/'victory' screen.

I know right. The helmet editor is fine, but the suit editor is a suit version of any online t-shirt printing service. I'd absolutely love a full-blown suit editor, but I guess it's not on PDs mind since we're not seeing the suit while we drive, only in scapes/'victory' screen.

I would guess the fact is that the decal projection system would be a nightmare for PD to code for dynamic surfaces. Helmets and cars are static meshes, suits are not.... but I would like to see more options for the bits we can't put decals on.

I would guess the fact is that the decal projection system would be a nightmare for PD to code for dynamic surfaces. Helmets and cars are static meshes, suits are not.... but I would like to see more options for the bits we can't put decals on.

Yeah, that's true. But yes, add patches to lower arms, legs, thighs...shoulders? That would be enough I guess. Better than how it is now, sorry to do a repeat but I just think of Spreadshirt when I open the suit editor. And I have so many suits in my mind that I'd love to make, but I don't know how to translate those suits in-game because of the restrictions in the editor.

#3 The Rebellion livery has to be one of the best designs that have ever raced at Le Man imo.
#10 Cuz' anything 90's GT1 related is automaticaly awesome for me.
#11 Can't get my eyes off that Honda !

Voted 12, 20 and 23, but definitely needed 23 more votes ;) damn, hard to chose, no one should be mad at me if I'd pick up my votes randomly as every entry is a masterpiece of it's own.

Well done everyone and good luck.

PS: thanks for those 3 votes to date i get. ^^ really appreciate

Kind of disappointed to not see my Delta in the poll, Unlike some I actually went with a "replica" not an old livery on a completely different car.

Taken from google - A replica is an exact reproduction

@Teal and @ghostrider135 I can understand your frustration.
It may be a small compensation, but the 7 poll-leading cars are « real » replicas.

The bonus picture requirements in the new LEC are more permissive. I hope you’ll join again !

Kind of disappointed to not see my Delta in the poll, Unlike some I actually went with a "replica" not an old livery on a completely different car.

Taken from google - A replica is an exact reproduction
I'd like to stress that the reason your replica is not on the poll is because the submitted entry would have been wrong in one or multiple ways.

Whether it be incorrect image sizes or the images themselves not being correct in terms of the scapes settings etc. I'll go look and let you know

I got DQ'd because I posted 1 extra image and forgot to delete it. My own fault. I was told to change it and becuase I thought I could put it off, I suffered the consequence

I've looked and do not see why. Maybe @syntex123 can share as to why maybe? link below

Last edited:
Excuse the NaCl, but my livery was a replica. It wasn’t exact, but neither is the top vote getter. And that’s his own admission. Side by side anyone could see that was the Mini from the Matt Damon movie.

My livery was DQ’d because “Final Entry” wasn’t in red text.

Sorry for the intromission, but this is a topic that has been brought up time and time again: rules are there to be respected. They are clearly stated in the first post and it takes no longer than 5 minutes to read through it carefully. They are there to help keep the competition organized and to help the poll makers gather all the entrants, and set up the topic properly. When you have 30+ entries to collect and reorganize in a new thread, imagine having to be bothered resizing and reuploading pictures, having to carefully look through every one of the 200+ posts to make sure you took all entries and didn't miss any, having to delete additional shots...it gets boring and long quickly, especially since you're not being paid for doing it.
Now imagine the same 30+ entries all with pics in the correct size, all taken with the proper Scapes setting, and every entry clearly marked with a bold red FINAL ENTRY text that stands out even with a quick scroll of the 20 pages of the topic...things get a LOT quicker.
Try to imagine being a human resources responsible in a factory: you have to gather all the hours of work of your 300+ employees, and many of them either forgot to sign in after the lunch break, or signed twice because they weren't sure, and you have to manually go through everything. Not funny when you could have just asked a software to quickly give you a report of it all, right?

TL,DR: Just follow the simple rules in the OP of every contest and you won't have to fear a DQ and be CaCO3 afterwards. ;)

And now let's continue with the poll! And btw, how in the hell did I get 8 votes with such a high level of competition?

Sorry for the intromission, but this is a topic that has been brought up time and time again: rules are there to be respected. They are clearly stated in the first post and it takes no longer than 5 minutes to read through it carefully. They are there to help keep the competition organized and to help the poll makers gather all the entrants, and set up the topic properly. When you have 30+ entries to collect and reorganize in a new thread, imagine having to be bothered resizing and reuploading pictures, having to carefully look through every one of the 200+ posts to make sure you took all entries and didn't miss any, having to delete additional shots...it gets boring and long quickly, especially since you're not being paid for doing it.
Now imagine the same 30+ entries all with pics in the correct size, all taken with the proper Scapes setting, and every entry clearly marked with a bold red FINAL ENTRY text that stands out even with a quick scroll of the 20 pages of the topic...things get a LOT quicker.
Try to imagine being a human resources responsible in a factory: you have to gather all the hours of work of your 300+ employees, and many of them either forgot to sign in after the lunch break, or signed twice because they weren't sure, and you have to manually go through everything. Not funny when you could have just asked a software to quickly give you a report of it all, right?

TL,DR: Just follow the simple rules in the OP of every contest and you won't have to fear a DQ and be CaCO3 afterwards. ;)

And now let's continue with the poll! And btw, how in the hell did I get 8 votes with such a high level of competition?
This. It took me and @syntex123 most of Wednesday evening to get everything straightened out for the poll and towards the end it was pretty stressful. As we have already said, those who were DQ'd did not follow the rules, be it image settings or image size or entry format.

@ghostrider135 your bonus pic of the real car was over 640px and was DQ'd, simple as that, a shame as your entry was a fantastic replica!

We had 37 entries in the end and almost a quarter were wrong in one way or another. Some were new entrants who'd not read the rules, others were 'old hands' who should have known better, everyone has been treated the same.

Syntax had warned people at the end of the last round that going forward it would be zero tolerance, and due to the fact he's a nice guy he gave a number of warnings but until we have the poll assembled we can't always see issues until it's too late to give people a chance to fix it.

For this round, there will be no guarantee of warnings so if you're unsure if your entry is valid then PM a copy to myself and I'll let you know if I spot anything.

@BLiTZ regarding me being disqualified for a google reference photo not being 640px I wasn't aware of that being in the rules for this week, Having just checked the thread I see this being a rule "Preview images must not exceed 640 pixels in either direction."

It wasn't a "preview image" being judged though was it? It was a reference photo not being judged, So to say I'm salty about this would be an understatement.

Well said! Couldn’t have said it better myself.

This. It took me and @syntex123 most of Wednesday evening to get everything straightened out for the poll and towards the end it was pretty stressful. As we have already said, those who were DQ'd did not follow the rules, be it image settings or image size or entry format.

@ghostrider135 your bonus pic of the real car was over 640px and was DQ'd, simple as that, a shame as your entry was a fantastic replica!

We had 37 entries in the end and almost a quarter were wrong in one way or another. Some were new entrants who'd not read the rules, others were 'old hands' who should have known better, everyone has been treated the same.

Syntax had warned people at the end of the last round that going forward it would be zero tolerance, and due to the fact he's a nice guy he gave a number of warnings but until we have the poll assembled we can't always see issues until it's too late to give people a chance to fix it.

For this round, there will be no guarantee of warnings so if you're unsure if your entry is valid then PM a copy to myself and I'll let you know if I spot anything.

Oh yes, I usually start preparing 2-3 hours before deadline, like you said it took quite some time even with your help (again, thank you, massively grateful).

Scrolling up and down and up and down and examine every image and opening every spoiler is tough when you know you have a deadline to work against.

Some people need to sit down and really look deep in these competitions, because it’s a lot going on under the surface. What you can see in the threads is just the tip of the iceberg.

@BLiTZ regarding me being disqualified for a google reference photo not being 640px I wasn't aware of that being in the rules for this week, Having just checked the thread I see this being a rule "Preview images must not exceed 640 pixels in either direction."

It wasn't a "preview image" being judged though was it? It was a reference photo not being judged, So to say I'm salty about this would be an understatement.

Well, you should’ve known better. It’s still a preview image even if it is a reference shot, what if I took my 4K ref shot and added it without resizing it. Wouldn’t that look ridiculous?

Quite chuffed that my randomly picked entry is currently third up against this standard and quality. 👍 I picked BLiTZ, MatskiMonk and Cytoria myself in no particular order

Reasons:

BLiTZ's Skyline is just his usual very high standard work, simple but clean and accurate and looks amazing.

Cytoria's NSX a lot of work has gone into that, yeah one of the best entries I've seen in a comp so far. It looks fantastic

MatskiMonk well I'm not a fan of the actual livery at all myself but the time, work and dedication to produce that has just raised the livery comp barrier several notches.

Last edited:

'Preview image' as in the image you click to go full res, entry or reference it doesn't matter, if you've included it in your entry it has to be under 640px. Again you were not alone with this issue and others were DQ'd for the same infraction.

I guess it's time to congratulate @MatskiMonk and his fantastic, and not to forget time-consuming livery! It went straight on my Z4. I have a design-block on that car, so this design really deserved a spot on my undriven Z4. Vrooaww!

And to everyone else - good job! The level of detail in this round.. Every single entry deserves a spot in anyone's garage. They're so well made.

Keep up the good work, and good luck in the Castrol round! ;)

Matt, I will PM you shortly. :)

Congratulations to @MatskiMonk !
And @Stephen220378 for the podium, and @ All for the great entries ! That was a tough one.

I want to thank everyone who vote for me. Even if it is « only » a second place, it is one of the most significant results in the competition for me, along with my win in the GT Planet round (LEC #02).

As most of you know now, I’m a huge fan of the NSX. While this is the third time I enter a LEC with a NSX, this is the first time it reached the podium. Also, this particular livery means a lot to me.

Since the ealy days of the game, I’ve tried my best to reproduce a few (hem, a lot) of liveries for this iconic machine. I’ve started with patience, and used all the tricks of the in-game shapes to be as close as possible of the old GT classics. Then I’ve used the discovery section and the new feature of decals uploaded. When I struggled, I’ve asked for some help in the request thread (and I want to thank @daan , @MatskiMonk , @Maninashed and all the contributors).

But when I saw this livery in the early days of 2018, I knew I couldn’t achieve it in the game only. I started using Inkscape for this very car, hesitating, mis-drawing, being happy of the results but failing the upload in the game... and about a month of so later, this car came to life.

I’m now more familiar with Inkscape and I can make most of my decals. But being able to use this car now, 6 months later, with only some few updates (the drivers names, the led panel, some fine adjustments) makes me proud of my work and shows that patience and dedication are worth it. But I’m even prouder that it pleased others too, and I want to thank again those who vote for me, and those who voted for the other entries that made me step up my game these past few months.

Long live the LEC !

Congrats Mat, the work you put into that livery is insane.

Disappointed in failing to make the top10 with my entry. Will probably knock this competition on the head for a while.

Congrats Mat, the work you put into that livery is insane.

Disappointed in failing to make the top10 with my entry. Will probably knock this competition on the head for a while.

I can understand your point of view but I wouldn’t said this.

Making 5 votes in this high-level competition, where your livery you did specially for this round have faced against the best work of all the skilled creators of the forum, is a great achievement.

Plus, as I’ve seen it closely, I can say that it was a great work, with the carbon body, the shapes and the details.

I won’t force you to enter again... but I hope you will !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back