POLL: Who will be the next first-time F1 world champion?Formula 1 

• Thread starter JockeP22
  • 18 comments

Who will be the next NEW F1 world drivers' champion?

• Sergio Perez (Mexico) - Force India

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stoffel Vandoorne (Belgium) - McLaren

• Nico Hulkenberg (Germany) - Renault

• Marcus Ericsson (Sweden) - Sauber

• Pierre Gasly (France) - Toro Rosso

• Total voters
Sweden
Sweden
2012 saw six current or former World Drivers' Champions line up on the grid – Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikkonen and Michael Schumacher, breaking the record of five drivers established in 1970.
The 2012 record still stands and there will be four world drivers' champions on the grid in 2018.

This poll is to see what driver members think will be the next first-time champion.
It might not happen this year but it could be interesting to look back on this thread
and see who called it right when/if one of these drivers become a WDC.

POLL SETTINGS:
poll.jpg

Last edited:
There are names missing
Nope, there are sixteen drivers lining up on the grid this season chasing their first WDC. They're all in the poll.
the order seems weird
Okay.
and what is that picture?
To show the poll settings before anybody votes. For instance it shows you that you can not change your vote, I thought that would be important to convey because it's easy to miss otherwise.

I thought that too, might be better if @JockeP22 changed the title to "First-Time" from "NEW" as only one driver of the twenty can't be the new champion this year.
Done. It won't let me edit the poll question though, only the thread title.

Had this been five or so years ago I would have put my money on Hulkenberg.
Things were looking so good for him, four-time karting champion, Formula BMW champion,
A1GP champion, Formula 3 champion and GP2 champion.
Steady, reliable driver when coming up to F1, I thought for sure he would win many races.
His career stats aren't bad, three points per grand prix on average and he has out-qualified
his teammates 77 - 39.

But unfortunately he now holds an F1 record not many would want, most grand prix with-
out scoring a podium finish (135). He passed Sutil last year who held the previous record on 128.

My money is on Ocon to be the next first-time champion in F1 and he got my vote.
It's just a gut feeling. He seems so determined and at the same time happy-go-lucky that a championship
just might fall into his lap down the line.

Last edited:
Ricciardo and Verstappen are perhaps the straight forward choices given their 2018 chance, but I think Hamilton or Vettel will clinch a 5th title this season.

So then it becomes a matter of 2019 and beyond. Again, Verstappen and Ricciardo are likely to be in contention, but I believe Leclerc will do enough to secure Raikkonen's seat for next year. His record over the last 2 seasons within GP3 and Formula 2 leave me in little doubt that he is the next young talent to emerge in F1, and it concerns me that he will be one of Ferrari's deadliest assets once there...

I didn't vote because I'm not entirely sure who I'd pick.

My guesses would only include Max/Ricciardo/Bottas at the moment in current cars/teams. It's entirely possible though that Vettel/Hamilton will win for the next 2-3 years and when we see a big change in F1 doctrine some other team will suddenly become competitive allowing a freak WDC (or if Ferrari quit and Mercedes win enough to leave the sport to save money).

Future possible champions in general? I'd argue Ocon and Sainz are the only ones who seem to impress me so far.

Perez: too old and bitter
Hulkenberg: a ghost who doesn't need to be in the sport
Grosjean: not a chance in hell
Magnussen: jury's still out
Vandoorne: doesn't strike me as a guy with the complete package (seems competent but boring)
Ericsson: Money and not talent.

The bottom five you listed though - who knows. All potentially decent drivers. Hell we know Hartley is good but he may suck at F1 and may never get on a good enough team, etc.

My money is on Ocon to be the next first-time champion in F1 and he got my vote.
It's just a gut feeling. He seems so determined and at the same time happy-go-lucky that a championship
just might fall into his lap down the line.
Agreed. If he beats Perez this year, then it's bye-bye Bottas, and then it's a matter of taking the fight to Lewis in 2019.

Ocon to move up to Merc for Bottas
Leclerc to move up to Ferrari for Raikkonen

Where would Bottas go then?

Ocon to move up to Merc for Bottas
Leclerc to move up to Ferrari for Raikkonen

Where would Bottas go then?
Hold on, if Kimi manage to keep Melbourne pace for most of the season, you'll see him another year. If Leclerc prove something could be moved to Haas instead.

I really don't know... it's a really hard call and I think will depend how silly season goes this year/next year.

I voted for Max because I think he'll be a champion regardless, he just needs the car and a bit more maturity to his driving.
But I do think Riccy has a very good chance, problem is that I see him going to Merc next year for a bit and I don't think he's strong enough to beat Lewis.

I think Ocon too will be up there... but yeah

Hold on, if Kimi manage to keep Melbourne pace for most of the season, you'll see him another year. If Leclerc prove something could be moved to Haas instead.

I don't think we will see Kimi next year, almost regardless. I see Bottas to Ferrari, Danny to Merc and Leclerc to Haas possibly. Ferrari have placed a lot of faith and money in Vettel and I don't think it would do them or Vettel good to have Leclerc in there (assuming he gets up to speed and is able to challenge Seb).

I can't see a world in which Merc go for Ocon over Riccy. Riccy is too good to pass up and if he paired with Vettel (as they seem to get on, I mean Riccy can be mates with anyone it seems haha) Ferrari would have a VERY strong lineup for the WCC.

I don't think we will see Kimi next year, almost regardless. I see Bottas to Ferrari, Danny to Merc and Leclerc to Haas possibly. Ferrari have placed a lot of faith and money in Vettel and I don't think it would do them or Vettel good to have Leclerc in there (assuming he gets up to speed and is able to challenge Seb).

I can't see a world in which Merc go for Ocon over Riccy. Riccy is too good to pass up and if he paired with Vettel (as they seem to get on, I mean Riccy can be mates with anyone it seems haha) Ferrari would have a VERY strong lineup for the WCC.
There are no indications of Ferrari being remotely interested in Valtteri and his pace in Melbourne wasn't good enough. At the moment Kimi is still the better choice. Let's wait and see.

There are no indications of Ferrari being remotely interested in Valtteri and his pace in Melbourne wasn't good enough. At the moment Kimi is still the better choice. Let's wait and see.

Kimi is very expensive.
Bottas had a bad race, but it wasn't awful. He got stuck in traffic at a track that's hard to overtake at. His last season was pretty good and he had a good couple of race wins and good quali performance. While I'd agree that Kimi had a much better race than Bottas, and IMO better than Vettel one race out of a whole a season isn't really that important, especially considering that in fairly equal cars last year Kimi scored 100 less points than Bottas.

IMO the key for Bottas to Ferrari is that he wont rock the boat and will fit in the team nicely along side their number 1 driver Vettel. Why keep an expensive world champion, when for less money you can get another, younger driver who will perform at around the same level?

Valtteri Bottas

as long as he stays in Mercedes It´s a no brainer, but I also think Verstappen have a good chance consider his pace and he already taken 3 wins and is only 20 years old

Verstappen or Ricciardo.

Ocon could be a future hope but he isn't going to be promoted if Force india is terrible this year, the cars tend to take the drivers down with them in terms of reputation and if Ricciardo takes Bottas Seat this will severly hurt his chances at a better drive for years.

I don't see anyone else on the current grid getting a title at current, still too early on Leclerc to get an idea yet.

Leclerc would have to have the season for the ages to take Kimis seat even though he is a Ferrari Protege, Ferrari are too conservetive do promote inexperinced drivers, however if they don't get Ricciardo there is a hole in what driver can honestly take that seat from a Ferrari stand point, unless they get a full on number 2(someone like Perez, Hulk and or maybe sainz), which would likely lead to a kimi contract extension.

Last edited:
I voted Verstappen however he needs to get a move on as he's running out of time with Vettel and Hamilton still hovering around.

Back