Polyphony Digital Cup

SkylineObsession

Expert daydreamer
Premium
New Zealand
New Zealand
SkylineObsession
Mangosaurus
Easily at its best in GT3. I really miss the car restrictions (completely stock), race lengths (at least twenty mins to half an hour for each race) and just the general funness of racing completely stock cars against each other in a championship series with races that type of length.

I really wish they hadn't allowed you to be able to modify cars and that they didn't reduce the amount of laps drastically in GT4 and again in GT5 (i guess, haven't raced in it yet). :(

Take a look at a couple of my race write ups in GT3 to see what i (and hopefully others) really miss about this championship;

Writeup one

Writeup two

Tried not to make the writeups boring, so don't avoid clicking them because you think it'll be a bore to read. ;)

Polyphony really need to learn and abide by the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" saying. 💡 I honestly felt that this was the best thing in Gran Turismo since GT2's Event Generator, no race event since has been able to match my enthusiasm as much as it did for GT3's version of the PD Cup. So sad. :(

I really wanted the Polyphony Digital Cup to be similar to the one in GT3. Even though the 20 lap races did take time to finish, it was far more enjoyable than the same series in GT5, which only has 3 races, each one only 5 laps long. It doesn't seem long enough to be among the top GT race series'.

The car restrictions were what made this series more fun. Looks like the only way I can make these races more challenging would be to use a slower car or create my own race restrictions.

Thanks WRECKU. :)

Yeah i agree weigert, in GT4/GT5 (i guess) you'd just start to be getting 'into' the race and starting to enjoy it and then all of a sudden its done. It's just like watching a trailer/preview of a movie - great promise of enjoyment, but thats all.

IMO PD should have put a minimum of 5 laps per race, in beginner and amateur, then you double the number of lap per race, pro you got 10 lap, expert 20.
More championship too with restriction other then tires type

You would think this would be the grand finale, the creme de la creme. Seeing how it bears PD's name.

Must be a Japanese thing.

Only if they fixed the HP restriction. Anyone can get an M3 and fully mod it and win everything with ease. The game is too easy imo. You have to get slower car if you want to challenge your self but who would want to when there is an easier way around?

You would think this would be the grand finale, the creme de la creme. Seeing how it bears PD's name.

Must be a Japanese thing.

Yeah I was expecting more of a challenge... my stock Lotus Carlton (other then racing softs & oil change) beat them handily...

On the plus side, it makes a great test ground for new cars without having to drop a ton of money into them! That, and I really enjoy racing Trial Mountain.:)

All they need to do is to remove the ability to use a modified car. And to turn the AI rubberbanding off, like the original event, then up the laps to at least 20 or so (track dependant) and its back to the awesomeness of the event.

Just finished the Polyphony Cup and I was bitterly disappointed to see my competition consisting of an S2000 and no better than a Ford GT when I rocked up in my Enzo. Immediately quit and tried it in my stock R8 (The 5.2 one) and it was much more entertaining, I still won fairly comfortably but it made it exciting to complete with a car constantly in your rear-view. It is stupid how one of the best competitions can be completed with not a great car and I would also cast my vote to have it like the GT3 version but maybe rather than smash through it with a supercar, try something like I did, maybe an SLS AMG or something like that? 👎 for the prize car!

GT3 had great events. Even the Beetle and Vitz cups were challenging and not pretty much over after a couple of laps. Now in GT5 most championships are either gone or whittled down to just a few races. The number of laps is always very low in Aspec mode and qualifying is out the window. No tire wear either (excluding endurances).

The PD cup in GT3 was great, as was the Dream Car, the one-make races and Formula GT in GT3. Decent length and number of races, similar spec cars on differing tire/pit-stop strategies and the ability to practice and qualify before the race. The only problems with GT3 Championships for me was the inability to change your oil during championships and the overuse of the test course. The former was fixed in GT4 but is back in GT5 (though not really a problem anymore as the events have lame short lengths) and the latter was fixed in GT4 and absolutely neutered in GT5 by removing the course in GT5 altogether.

Back